No 2015 Vfr 1200?

RogueWave

Having ridden a friend's XX, I'd say that should've been Honda's marketing angle than the sportbike- touring bike identity crisis. That same friend also decked out his 'Bird with 3 hard bags and VFR clip-ons for sport touring. In that role, it shares a lot of the compromises as the VFR1200. He and I both like those compromises - in much the same way some riders prefer to sport tour on a ZX14, when Kawi has the purposely built C14. Still... we reckon those of us that feel that way are probably in the very minority.

Personally, I think Honda should have done what Kawi did. Promote the VFR1200F as an uber-sportbike like the ZX14 (which also weighs 590lbs). Then release the VFR1200T for those who want FJRs and C14s.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having ridden a friend's XX, I'd say that should've been Honda's marketing angle than the sportbike- touring bike identity crisis. That same friend also decked out his 'Bird with 3 hard bags and VFR clip-ons for sport touring. In that role, it shares a lot of the compromises as the VFR1200. He and I both like those compromises - in much the same way some riders prefer to sport tour on a ZX14, when Kawi has the purposely built C14. Still... we reckon those of us that feel that way are probably in the very minority.

Personally, I think Honda should have done what Kawi did. Promote the VFR1200F as an uber-sportbike like the ZX14 (which also weighs 590lbs). Then release the VFR1200T for those who want FJRs and C14s.

And this shows how the VFR1200 is superior to the ZX14 - the same weight with driveshaft and V4 engine...C is like 40kgs more with a shaftdrive.

I own a 99 blackbird and it's one of my favorite bikes I ever own the ones in my garage won't be replaced any time soon and the vfr is definitely a keeper but I always want more now back to the vfr I fell in love before it was even available I still have my 2009 cycle trader magazine were it was featured titled ride fast ride far never thought I will actually get one I don't want to make controversy since I like almost any bike

And this shows how the VFR1200 is superior to the ZX14 - the same weight with driveshaft and V4 engine...C is like 40kgs more with a shaftdrive.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the ZX14, particularly the latest (2012+ here ). It has power that the VFR1200 simply cannot match. With the dual balancer, that beast of an engine is one of the smoothest I4s I've ever ridden. I had an '09 C14 with a slightly modified ZX14 engine. Even the "detuned" C14 was more powerful than the VFR1200.

That said, I do agree with you and like the VFR1200's packaging better. Still wouldn't rule out owning a ZX14R... if I can find an insurance that has a reasonable rate for the ZX14. Progressive wants beaucoup bucks.

I haven't ridden a ZX-14 yet, but I cannot imagine needing more power than what the VFR1200 has. Once I have the ECU flashed, it will most likely be even more unfathomable. Hell, the 5th gen I had made all the power I ever wanted. The only reason I upgraded to the 7th gen was for the technology updates. Power was just an added bonus really.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the ZX14, particularly the latest (2012+ here ). It has power that the VFR1200 simply cannot match. With the dual balancer, that beast of an engine is one of the smoothest I4s I've ever ridden. I had an '09 C14 with a slightly modified ZX14 engine. Even the "detuned" C14 was more powerful than the VFR1200.

That said, I do agree with you and like the VFR1200's packaging better. Still wouldn't rule out owning a ZX14R... if I can find an insurance that has a reasonable rate for the ZX14. Progressive wants beaucoup bucks.

GTR1400 has 153 crank HP so a lot less. I have ridden a GTR1400 and it a lot slower. Its also 40kgs heavier.

2007 ZX14 had 190 crank - all 17 HP more from 200cc more. And the same weight as vfr1200 - aroung 260kg's.

You are forgetting something - give the vfr the chain drive and it would not be a much of the difference anymore. Give the zx the driveshaft

like C has and it would not stand a chance against vfr - as it really is.

I'm not saying the Kawasaki is a bad motorcycle - its fast but vfr1200 is not something 2 times slower,

Quater times(best I was able to find,):

2010 vfr1200 - 10.33 seconds at 134.85 mph

2009 gtr1400 - 10.78 seconds at 125.44 mph

2008 zx14r - 10,39 seconds at 139,08 mph - we all know later model can do late 9's but lets compare the 2009 vfr 1200

to the fair 2008 zx14 technology. Vfr1200 didn't get any engine enchantments over the years.

Bikes stock, source mostly: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/ http://www.cycleworld.com/

Salariel I wonder if have you test or ride this bikes to full potential or just taking posted numbers to come to conclusion I want the zx14 to get down into 9s my xx already does 10s most YouTube videos lack experience or good technique excuse my punctuation I use an iPad mini and it's hard you get tired I'll try to post later on my office but I can't guarantee that

VFR1200 vs FJR1300. My VFR is a 2013 and my FJR1300ES is a 2014. Both bikes are the latest versions sold here in the US. To me they are not really comparable bikes, at least not as equipped from Honda & Yamaha. You can make the VFR 1200 Honda into a sport touring bike, with the emphasis on sport, but it takes dipping into the aftermarket or the Hondaline accessory catalogue.

The VFR is lighter and much faster accelerating (at least in my state of tune) than my stock FJR. It lands smack in the middle between the sport touring segment and the ZX14 and Hyabusa.

The VFR handles fast back roads better than the FJR due to more clearance, lighter weight and better brakes. I can ride the FJR just as fast on back roads but it takes more effort and concentration. In other words there is less margin for error when really pushing the FJR than with the VFR.

The fuel injection mapping is far better on the stock FJR than the VFR at least when the VFR is stock. Throttle response on the FJR is seamless and it has two throttle response modes (sport & touring). With the VFR you need to either have Don Guhl re-flash the ECU, resort to a power commander, or as I did do both to get all the programmed limitations out of the Honda ECU system to get close to the FJR's seamless fuel injection response.

Fuel mileage is far better with the FJR than the VFR1200. Add to that the FJR's tank holds 6.6 gallons. The best range I have gotten from a full tank on both bikes is 190 miles on the VFR and over 295 miles on the FJR.

The VFR has a better transmission and the FJR has less vibration. Neither is objectionable on either bike just different.

Wind protection and noise is better on the FJR as you would expect with the larger electrically adjustable wind screen and better fairing protection.

Maintenance on the FJR is easier except for battery access. Removal of fairing panels is easier on the FJR.

The FJR is a dedicated sport touring bike and in the case of my 2014 ES model the best of the three FJR's I have owned. With standard hard bags & bag liners, heated grips, cruise control, electric windshield, electronic suspension adjustment, ABS and traction control that works, the FJR is a complete sport touring bike. It handles and brakes better than the majority of street riders are capable of riding. In my opinion it is the best value for the money in the sport touring segment.

My VFR is a replacement for my ZX14's and I never intended for it to be a sport touring bike in the same class as my FJR1300. It is not as fast as either ZX14 I owned particularly the 2012 R model but it suits my needs perfectly for fast day rides at this stage of my life.

• Member Contributer

VFR1200 vs FJR1300. My VFR is a 2013 and my FJR1300ES is a 2014. Both bikes are the latest versions sold here in the US. To me they are not really comparable bikes, at least not as equipped from Honda & Yamaha. You can make the VFR 1200 Honda into a sport touring bike, with the emphasis on sport, but it takes dipping into the aftermarket or the Hondaline accessory catalogue.

The VFR is lighter and much faster accelerating (at least in my state of tune) than my stock FJR. It lands smack in the middle between the sport touring segment and the ZX14 and Hyabusa.

The VFR handles fast back roads better than the FJR due to more clearance, lighter weight and better brakes. I can ride the FJR just as fast on back roads but it takes more effort and concentration. In other words there is less margin for error when really pushing the FJR than with the VFR.

The fuel injection mapping is far better on the stock FJR than the VFR at least when the VFR is stock. Throttle response on the FJR is seamless and it has two throttle response modes (sport & touring). With the VFR you need to either have Don Guhl re-flash the ECU, resort to a power commander, or as I did do both to get all the programmed limitations out of the Honda ECU system to get close to the FJR's seamless fuel injection response.

Fuel mileage is far better with the FJR than the VFR1200. Add to that the FJR's tank holds 6.6 gallons. The best range I have gotten from a full tank on both bikes is 190 miles on the VFR and over 295 miles on the FJR.

The VFR has a better transmission and the FJR has less vibration. Neither is objectionable on either bike just different.

Wind protection and noise is better on the FJR as you would expect with the larger electrically adjustable wind screen and better fairing protection.

Maintenance on the FJR is easier except for battery access. Removal of fairing panels is easier on the FJR.

The FJR is a dedicated sport touring bike and in the case of my 2014 ES model the best of the three FJR's I have owned. With standard hard bags & bag liners, heated grips, cruise control, electric windshield, electronic suspension adjustment, ABS and traction control that works, the FJR is a complete sport touring bike. It handles and brakes better than the majority of street riders are capable of riding. In my opinion it is the best value for the money in the sport touring segment.

My VFR is a replacement for my ZX14's and I never intended for it to be a sport touring bike in the same class as my FJR1300. It is not as fast as either ZX14 I owned particularly the 2012 R model but it suits my needs perfectly for fast day rides at this stage of my life.

Nice write up. I wonder when Honda will get the fueling ironed out - clearly Yamaha has been able to on your FJR.

Salariel I wonder if have you test or ride this bikes to full potential or just taking posted numbers to come to conclusion I want the zx14 to get down into 9s my xx already does 10s most YouTube videos lack experience or good technique excuse my punctuation I use an iPad mini and it's hard you get tired I'll try to post later on my office but I can't guarantee that

I had a few runs on my vmx into 9's. Never ridden a zx14 but a C14 which is a lot slower motorcycle.

VFR1200 is a very fast motorcycle but requires a bit more attention and technique . Launching is easier with C14 due the vfr fueling problems

(reflash solves this problem). Very good early 10's are doable with our model - I personally do not need anything more.

A bonus:

Good input. In EU 2015 FJR is like a 20k€ and 2014 VFR is like 16k€ with heated grips and cases so there's nothing to compare. I do not agree that FJR is a sport tourer -

for me ther's nothing I could call a "sport" there. Great tourer tho but a bit underpowered.

FWIW: A Honda rep at the Dtuch MC show said the veefalo is not out of production. I was surprised to see they did not have it on display. They did however bring multiple crosstourer and other "adventure/cross over" models like CB500X, NC750X en crossrunner. Maybe that is what Honda is aiming for, as they are quite popular here.

Vicara depending on your weight and ability to launch the bike and run sub 1.7 second 60 foot times putting any ZX14 into the nines is doable. If you are skilled enough and use a lowering link on the rear and a strap to tie down the front mid to low nine second quarter miles are within reach. I ran both of my ZX14's in both NHRA and NHDRO events. The 2006 ZX14 had a 5 inch extended swing arm and a super sported motor (milled & ported head, stock pistons & cams) and a header & air shifter and we ran from 8.89 to 8.95 times at 155 to 157 MPH regularly. The 2012 ZX14R was raced for two seasons and the motor was completely stock. The wheelbase was also stock and the bike was lowered. The only performance changes were a power commander, a header, Guhl re-flash, air shifter, and .020 shims under the clutch springs. We consistently ran 8.80 to 8.88 at 159 to 160 MPH quarter miles.

Both bikes were ridden far more on the street than raced. Both were dead reliable with no failures. The ZX14 particularly the newer R model is an awesome performance bike and I miss my 2012 R model every time I ride. It is just became to much bike for me these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I fell in love with the big VFR the first time I laid eyes on one at the Progressive show in Cleveland. I was smitten. Threw a leg over and it fit me like a glove. Saw all the accessories displayed next to the bike (thought the side cases were too small). Asked the rep at the booth what msrp was. Sixteen five? Does it come with all the goodies on this display? No? Seriously? You guys have lost your fucking minds! I told him they'd never sell them at that price without all the accessories already on it. Looks like for the most part, I was right. For the eleven five I paid for mine brand new, worth every penny. It wasn't perfect right out of the box, but I've never owned a bike that was, and this is #25 for me in 31 years of owning bikes. Not everybody loves the look, but many of us do. I love how compact it is for a "big" bike. It's faster than my FJR was, but certainly not as fast as my R1 was. It's actually sneaky fast though, because corner or straight, it always seems to feel like it's going slower than it actually is. I think this speaks volumes about its overall competence despite all its flaws. I just saw a new '12 model at a local dealer advertised for $9950! Tempting, but I've got way too much time in mods on my current one to start over, just to gain traction control and allegedly improved fuel mapping. Besides, what could I get out of my used '10 when I can buy a new '12 under ten grand. I'm happy with it although still likely to send the forks to Daugherty and the ECU to Guhl at some point in time. That should leave me with little to bitch about, other than the driveline lash. It's a nice bike, but they totally blew it on the price point.

MHO.

• Member Contributer

I am sad that a bike with so much potential is let out to pasture because of simple oversights and Honda's reluctance to correct few mistakes. I bought my 2010 1200F secondhand at 4000 kms. After the modifications I performed (thanks to knowledgable folks here in VFRD), I couldn't be happier. They didn't cost me that much and changed the bike completely.

I'd imagine that it would be very easy for Honda to update the VFR and do a better job than most of us. For the price they're asking for, this bike should have sorted fuelling, a good traction control system, power modes, top quality suspension (at least optionally) and a more modern ABS system, along with other goodies such as heated grips, cruise control adjustable ergos, screen etc.. Bu all they do is BNG. They should really look at Kawasaki; they are constantly updating old models; Like C14 Connie, it received small but significant updates this year, some which couldn't have been done by the owners at a price not much different to last year's. It shows their committment to their product. I'm sure they could've just sold last year's model at the same price.

The 1200F is such a good bike, it deserves so much better, but I don't see Honda changing anything anytime soon...

• 4 weeks later...

Of course I was kidding :)

Firstable I believe its to expensive. If it would cost about the same as it runs now it would have been a lot better.

500 for a stand, 3 grands for a pannier...common the bike is great but the way of selling it was catastrophic...

Nobody likes a bullshit like that - a few american friends of mine would have shoot a honda manager for that.

One more thing to mention.The MOD MONKEY trend would just ruin this bike. There is nothing you could really

modify beyond some mirrors and stickers. You cant chop the frame and use it as a race bike. The whole

machinery is very well build with no place for non stock things. Its a great thing to archive for a manufacturer, a real

thing to be proud of not necessary a good way to go with your custom ideas.

With our EU bureaucratic society, which can lure you into real trouble for just putting other set of tyres then stock,

the place to just sit a ride may sound like a best way to go. Just fired it up and ride...wait no need to adjust anyting?

Just ride and go? Yes and it handles very well - this is the prime advantage of this bike.

Is it a great fun to own this motorcycle? No, but its a great pleasure to ride it.

ebeec8099234486d29d749e6696be327.jpg

Of course I was kidding :)

Firstable I believe its to expensive. If it would cost about the same as it runs now it would have been a lot better.
500 for a stand, 3 grands for a pannier...common the bike is great but the way of selling it was catastrophic...
Nobody likes a bullshit like that - a few american friends of mine would have shoot a honda manager for that.

One more thing to mention.The MOD MONKEY trend would just ruin this bike. There is nothing you could really
modify beyond some mirrors and stickers. You cant chop the frame and use it as a race bike. The whole
machinery is very well build with no place for non stock things. Its a great thing to archive for a manufacturer, a real
thing to be proud of not necessary a good way to go with your custom ideas.

With our EU bureaucratic society, which can lure you into real trouble for just putting other set of tyres then stock,
the place to just sit a ride may sound like a best way to go. Just fired it up and ride...wait no need to adjust anyting?
Just ride and go? Yes and it handles very well - this is the prime advantage of this bike.

Is it a great fun to own this motorcycle? No, but its a great pleasure to ride it.

I'm not sure what that suppose to mean?

Archived