No 2015 Vfr 1200?

RogueWave

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice bike tin. I like the stealth look.Very sharp

Thanks.

Though maybe not my bike style specifically, but I think that Honda could have done something to make the bike look a bit more mainstream. Not with the overall design but with small stuff. My bike looks quite a bit off of the OE setup but its rediculous the attention it gets when we ride. Its almost to the point of being annoying. But its good attention. Mostly from sport tourer guys who have never seen a 1200. I mean, you cant appease the taste of 100% of the people 100% of the time but it gets its fair share of likes from non-vfr guys.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that even though the scheme has changed, its still the 1200 with some cosmetic changes. So I think when people say it looks fugly, I don't think the base design is ugly but I think that Honda could have done something more from the factory to make it futuristic but not so far out there by adding cosmetic features like the paint. I like the black or silver 1200s. Honda could have offered something like those earlier and saved their butts. And offered them with bags from the factory so that the bike fit into the sport tourer classification in peoples minds. Unless you are into the bike, I think that a lot of guys see the bike for the first time on the showroom floor and don't know how to classify it in their minds. Its too big to be a sport bike but doesnt have bags and a lot of the sport tourer creature comforts from the factory like bags, heated grips and wind protection. Because all of those things you have to buy after the fact and they are not cheap either.

• Member Contributer

Yea, I agree with a user somewhere above that the 1200 as we know it is done and gone and is already replaced by the Interceptor.

After the initial offering flop due to the high price tag and no dealer allowing test rides due to low stock and basically Honda being too proud of their ish, Honda had a chance to recover on the 2012. Actually they had multiple chances and they blew it. All they had to do was listen to their customer base or maybe god forbid hop on a board like this but they didn't. I remember back when we were waiting for the 12s to come out and all people wanted was a normal color for the U.S. market and some other small things fixed. What did they come out with? Light Blue? Not that its a bad color but Lt blue is not a very popular on any type of motorcycle in the U.S.. Hell, do it like Kawasaki. Offer whatever color and black. By the time the 13s came out it was too late for Honda on this bike.

The 2012 is actually a dark blue. That's a good point about the test rides (lack of) also. I don't think Honda priced the bike beyond the margins it hopes to make on other high end bikes in its line up its just that most people don't recognize its a premium quality product or simply don't want to pay that much for a motorcycle that is a bit in-between categories. And also the luggage is very expensive for anyone buying at near retail as mentioned. I wouldn't have bought the bike at full retail or the luggage at retail. I paid 40% of MSRP for the bike and bought brand new side cases on ebay for $650 so maybe I am an example of why it didn't sell even though it fit my want list.

Not sure how the 8th gen is selling but people complain about the MSRP on that as well, on top of the usual rants about VTEC. I guess we'll see if that stays in the line up.

I was at the Progressive bike show this weekend and asked a Honda person about the 1200. He gave me a regretful look, and said the bike is officially out of production. I then asked him if there is a replacement, he said he didn't know.

The only styling cue I don't like is the camel hump gas tank cover. It is distracting and distorts the lines. The rest of the bike has great styling.

• Member Contributer

the 1200 didn't sell in the USA because our economy is in the crapper

Don't tell the auto manufacturers that. They seem to be doing quite well the last couple of years.

Automobiles are more of a requirement here. Motorcycles are a luxury item, much like a boat, jetski, 4wheeler, etc. They are pleasure vehicles so not really comparable to automobiles in the US.

• Member Contributer

I was at the Progressive bike show this weekend and asked a Honda person about the 1200. He gave me a regretful look, and said the bike is officially out of production. I then asked him if there is a replacement, he said he didn't know.

The only styling cue I don't like is the camel hump gas tank cover. It is distracting and distorts the lines. The rest of the bike has great styling.

Out of production. My new to me 2010 has less than 2300 miles... hope support lasts for a while!

- Dan

It's regrettable, but I think we all knew this was going to happen. I'm actually thinking about trading up to a new '13 before dealers run out of them all together. I just don't see any other bike replacing the VFR1200F in my garage, so it is going to be my main ride for the foreseeable future.

The VFR12 is, in my opinion, more like an appliance than a motorcycle... It does a job, it does it fairly well, but it doesn't do it with any passion or flair.

If you think with your head, a motorcycle isn't practical, costs too much and is quite dangerous. If you think with your heart, you know that none of that really matters on the right stretch of road.

My biggest complaint with the VFR is the lack of presence. It's just not exciting, horrible exhaust note, poor fueling, not so great fuel range (my 07 R1 gets quite a bit further on a smaller tank)

I have a different opinion. I love the power,brakes,handling ,looks,and exaust note of my 1200. I did change a few things to make it better mind you. I'm impressed with the dct technology, every time I ride it. I have decatted the exaust,and will have the reflash done this winter.Just because I like to modify stuff. I don't leave anything stock.I even modded my riding lawnmower. Its something I like to do. The 1200 is an amazing machine.Maybe not for everyone but what bike is.

I have no information about the production of 1200, for me is still in the Honda range for all the 2015 and probably for the next years

This year Honda has changed only the color, but it could be that all bikes were produced last year (or, even, the year before).

All bikes are produced as a single lot in a short period of time, then the assembly line is used for another bike.

No problems for me, I will keep my 1200-2010 up to the end of her days.

She is a fantastic bike, but she need some small refinements, that I have already made (new mono Gubellini, revised fork by Gubellini, seat cover, new brake and clutch levers, Z-bomb and Honda remapping, front fender extensioin, radiator guard, small air deflector by Puig).

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, went to Toronto Motorcycle Show this weekend and no VFR 1200. Also left out of 2015 Canadian product catalogue. Staff at the Honda booth said they were taking a one year break. Wonder if this is it? Also no Canadian models come with DCT except the weird looking NM4. Could this be the end?

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

Hmmm, went to Toronto Motorcycle Show this weekend and no VFR 1200. Also left out of 2015 Canadian product catalogue. Staff at the Honda booth said they were taking a one year break. Wonder if this is it? Also no Canadian models come with DCT except the weird looking NM4. Could this be the end?

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

I went on Friday, and the one rep I asked about it just said they were dropping the VFR1200 and CB1100 from the lineup. He also mentioned that he didn't seem to have any trouble selling them, having sold 4 last year.

• Member Contributer

YEAH, the pig has died :cheerleader:

Just think in 20years your pristine VFR12's will be in demand, from collector of the rare & ugly, it will be worth a fortune as it qualifies in spades :blush:

I'll be visiting the local MC show coming weekend and I am pretty sure the B&W 2015 model will be on display. Hard to believe the veefalo is out of production already, I'll ask around at the Honda stand.

It was on the 2015 motorcycleshow in Helsinki in late January, its behind the folks that crowded arround it in this pic to the left:

gallery_880_2573_59765.jpg

Same color that V4Rosso posted erlier, and only color awable for 2015 here, aside old stock bikes. So yes, its not gone, but sure, its a bike that has not sold as good as hoped. Many CBR1100XX owners traded their Blackbird for it and was dissapointed when it arrived in 2010. 2011 importer was stuck whit a lot of bikes. Its a bit more tour than sport to the Blackbird I think, and there are same kind of bikes that are perhaps better, like the K1300 BMW. So not a bad bike but a bit in offside. Too sporty to bee liked by the tuorers, and too tuoring to be liked by the sporttuorers.

Seems to be only the america problem. In EU its available all the time - this year new color kicked in. Honda Germany:

http://www.honda.de/motorraeder/modelle_vfr1200f_galerie.php

Page 50:

http://www.honda.de/globalimages/pdf/de/mc/de_mc_br_gesamtprogramm_2015-02.pdf

Price list:

http://www.honda.de/globalimages/pdf/de/mc/de_mc_br_preisliste_2015_01.pdf

(edit, however it seems that panniers and main stand are now starnard)

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the links. Maybe just a break in distribution to thin supply? They did the same thing over here in 2011 when there was no model available and the blue version came out in 2012.

As much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I doubt HondaUSA would continue the indignity of push a bike that most riders here don't care for.

Now why they don't bring the VFR1200T here instead is beyond me. Reportedly, Honda was on the cusp of releasing it - to mimic the K1300S and K1300GT line up - before disappointing sales of the VFR1200F kill it.

The VFR 1200 is dead in the US. This bike does not fit neatly into any market niche. It was overpriced and underequipped to be a sport touring bike and to heavy and slow to fit as a sport bike (except for old guys like me). Hard to make a good second impression with a bike that has only received minor tweaks since 2010. With shaft drive this bike should have been aimed squarely at the ST segment with the Honda bags and heated grips as standard equipment. The traction control update is a joke compared to other manufacturers systems. Yamaha has updated the FJR twice since the VFR intro in 2010 and the TC actually works.

Love my VFR after $2000 of additional investment but I bought it more out of wanting to own a bike that I did not see everyday than any sense I was getting good value. Honda frankly doesn't make any motorcycle anymore that excites me enough to open my wallet again.

There is an advantage to the VFR's poor sales. People like me who recognize it's greatness can pick one up for a reasonable price. I paid $9K USD for a 2010 with 3500 miles on it. A comparable BMW K 1300 S or GT costs a lot more.

There is an advantage to the VFR's poor sales. People like me who recognize it's greatness can pick one up for a reasonable price. I paid $9K USD for a 2010 with 3500 miles on it. A comparable BMW K 1300 S or GT costs a lot more.

I can attest to that, I bought a 2010 w/ 1,300km (so roughly 800 miles) for $8,500 CDN (less than 7k USD at today's rates) *with* the OEM hardbags and heated grips.

When I bought my bike my first choice was a zx14 with a concours 14 as second choice then the sales man tried to get me into a ninja they had on sale I also look at the z1000 the new cb1100 was also on the floor and it almost make it home since my first big bike was a 76 cb750 four but hiding behind some advertising was this beautiful vfr1200 that I knew was the middle between the zx14 and the concours no more thinking this was what I wanted and my only complaint was the slow speed turning heaviness that changed dramatically with a new set of tires a few mods like decat cosmetics exhaust and there you have it beautiful my only regret is that is racking a lot of miles but still looks like the day I got it I still want the zx but I will probably buy the new 2015 with that white blue color if it's there next time I'm shopping around.

Sorry for the rant but it is more out of disappointment in Honda which blew it in 2010 when this bike was introduced. I will be 72 years old in March and have now owned over 55 bikes since 1961. 36 of these were Hondas. I think I have a good historical experience of what Honda is capable of and until the last 10 or so years that was leading edge technology as well as quality. The quality is still there but the application of leading edge technology is not. Honda is capable of anything they just seem to have lost the drive to lead in the street class. Would be nice to see Honda apply some of that world class Moto GP technology to their street bikes. All the passion seems to be gone and I don't believe this would be the situation if old man Honda was still around.

Vicara I sold my 2006 ZX14 to buy the 2013 VFR1200. I researched the VFR 1200 here and on other sites for a year before buying it so I knew what most all of the good and bad points were before buying. The only thing I was not aware of was how crude the traction control was on the newer models. That being said I just leave it turned off when riding fast on back roads.

No plans to sell the 2013 VFR1200 as it suits me fine. It reminds me of my 99 blackbird which was probably my all time favorite street ride.

Archived