V4 Went Bang On The Way Home The Other Night....

SuperBeef

SuperBeef you're getting a lot of amateur speculation here with no actual troubleshooting procedure.

Yeah I only have 40 years of owning, working on motorcycle's and was ASI certified for 20 year.

Pfft! Is that all?!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

SuperBeef you're getting a lot of amateur speculation here with no actual troubleshooting procedure.

Yeah I only have 40 years of owning, working on motorcycle's and was ASI certified for 20 year.

Pfft! Is that all?!

Yep sorry .

SuperBeef answered a PM from me. He said this: I apologise I have been so busy with work and have had flu. Pics etc and hopefully a fixed bike will be uploaded later today if not tomorrow. Basically the coil on #3 went bang, blew the plug out and ruined the thread going into the cylinder. I'll be home in about 6 or 7 hours to post an update

Excuse my lack of knowledge here.

How can a coil blow a plug out?

I thought they just stopped sparking, n just didnt run on that cylinder when a coil went?

+1.....

Coil dies, you get no spark, but I don't think you get a big plug spitting "asplosion" at the then dead cylinder..... :huh:

Sorry for the lack of updates, working over the holidays and a week of being ill mean I didnt get far with it.

Anyway, pulled the airbox off. got down to the coils, #1,2 and 4 pop straight off, #3 lifts up but wont pop off properly. End up getting mole grips onto it. have someone hold the bike down while i yank it out. See the pics below

Coil has pretty much exploded and taken out the spark plug or vice versa. I've pulled the other plugs and they all look relatively ok so I assume coil failure. I was having a slight missfire recently having ridden a lot in the wet. Ive got 95% of the sparkplug, the vast majority of the ceramic and have about 5-10% of the electrode unaccounted for. The plug itself had popped out and been wedged by all the ceramic and bits of coil so thankfully doesnt appear to have gone through the engine. I've still not got round to doing a compression test which I plan to do tomorrow. I've spent almost a fortnight trying to find a 10mm backtap. For some reason we cant get them in the UK? Only ones I have seen are listed in the US with about a fortnight delivery time. Instead I've had to opt for a standard chaser to clear the thread. Im not planning to pull the head of assuming the compression is ok. I cant really justify making such an outlay on getting work done on a relatively old bike unless it justifies it.

There doesnt appear to be any issue with the inlet valves having looked down the throttle bodies. A compression test should show tomorrow

Pics are in no particular order, apologies if you have slow internet theyve come straight from my phone

post-31899-0-59861700-1421445548.jpg

post-31899-0-44232800-1421445581.jpg

post-31899-0-78085800-1421445648.jpg

post-31899-0-01885300-1421445671.jpg

post-31899-0-15250800-1421445700.jpg

post-31899-0-07851800-1421445738.jpg

post-31899-0-44262000-1421445795.jpg

post-31899-0-74352600-1421445815.jpg

post-31899-0-52252600-1421445833.jpg

post-31899-0-80190400-1421445854.jpg

post-31899-0-99512800-1421445875.jpg

• Member Contributer

I can't see how a coil can explode or cause that much damage.

The only things I can think off, is that the plug was not tight and you've had hot gas bypassing and melting everything.

Or debri inside the cylinder smashing the plug and burning everything else.

A hole in your piston would explain all the oil in the air box.

Yup, that's quite freaky, what happened there.....

Possibly, the mechanic did not tighten the plug adequately and it loosened to the point where the cylinder ignition gasses and explosive pulses was beating up on and burning the coil and plug as mentioned on the previous post till things just eventually blew up to smithereenies......

You might have a good case against the shop that worked on your bike, as long as you can prove/convince them that you did not touch that plug and coil after they worked on it....

So since it ran great I'm assuming before the valve check, why go through all this and not take it back to said mechanic who obviously screwed up somehow, especially after spending...what $7-800 dollars, atleast that's what they want here in Cali. Good luck

• Member Contributer

Did it blow a spark plug out ?

Hmmmm !!!!!!!!!!

Pfft! Is that all?!

Yep sorry .

Make that 41 years !!!!!

So since it ran great I'm assuming before the valve check, why go through all this and not take it back to said mechanic who obviously screwed up somehow, especially after spending...what $7-800 dollars, atleast that's what they want here in Cali. Good luck

It was a valve check only, no fluids/plugs/filters. I planned on doing all of that myself once I had it back.

When was the last time you had the plugs changed?

I to, have never seen anything like it

I havent since I owned the bike, but with FSH up to the last 4k I assumed ok when I bought it. I had another set of plugs to put in, which I planned to do once I had it back from the valve check, at the same time as fitting a power commander and sorting a few other issues out.

In the cylinder I found a coiled piece of metal, the same pitch as the thread on the plug. Presumably a failed helicoil

It looks like the electrode and insulator came off inside the cylinder,that plug look REALLY old too.

When I got my VFR I found the plugs not even finger tight after a couple of tanks of bad mileage,I think it would have to be barely threaded to have something like that happen.

I would try to get my money back from that shop,pull the head and hope there was only bent valves in there.Then I would buy a good used head and take it somewhere else to get it put in or just replace the engine if there is piston damage.

Really stinks that you're sort of stuck with a "who done it".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Potentially the helicoil has been disturbed when the plug was removed and then it hasn't seated back down.

It looks like the electrode and insulator came off inside the cylinder,that plug look REALLY old too.

When I got my VFR I found the plugs not even finger tight after a couple of tanks of bad mileage,I think it would have to be barely threaded to have something like that happen.

I'm going to go in and speak with them in the week. Looking at the plugs the washer is corroded and can't imagine it forming a good seal. What stopped me changing the plugs sooner was waiting for an air filter and power commander to turn up. The plan was to get it all done in one hit. It a difficult to say whose fault it is, garage for not putting the plugs in properly or myself for not changing them. That said I'm not really sure why they put them back in and didn't say anything. Ill see what happens Monday and go from there

• Member Contributer

Hey Look, my picture doesn't take up the whole page!!! :goofy:

You are right, "only" about a third..... still way too big...

Archived