V4 Went Bang On The Way Home The Other Night....

SuperBeef

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just found exactly the same problem on my 2004 VFR. Plug in bits, electrode missing and half the cap burnt away. I kept riding after the initial symptoms and it died totally. Mine was on the front RHS cylinder (as you sit on the bike)

Wow, I wonder have you guys stumbled on a common problem that's only becoming apparent now as the bikes age or is it a coincidence. I hope it's just a coincidence!

You arent the only one.

Could do without that....

Although two cases does not make for a significant pattern yet, it is interesting that this happened to two VFRs I think have plug mounted(?) coils.......

I've never heard of such happening with older VFR's w "conventional" frame mounted coils.

And so far I can't think of why the plug mounted coil configuration might have anything to do with such.....

Could it be instead, a defect on a certain batch of plugs that is causing them to break up and take out the motors??

Could it be instead, a defect on a certain batch of plugs that is causing them to break up and take out the motors??

That's possible, I believe it was plug failure rather than coil. The damage to the plug cap was probably caused by igniting the gases coming out through the middle of the spark plug.

I've just found exactly the same problem on my 2004 VFR. Plug in bits, electrode missing and half the cap burnt away. I kept riding after the initial symptoms and it died totally. Mine was on the front RHS cylinder (as you sit on the bike)

Out of interest, how many miles? If it's any consolation, thats a much easier cylinder to have to access!

Although two cases does not make for a significant pattern yet, it is interesting that this happened to two VFRs I think have plug mounted(?) coils.......

I've never heard of such happening with older VFR's w "conventional" frame mounted coils.

And so far I can't think of why the plug mounted coil configuration might have anything to do with such.....

It wasn't the original plug that was used. Also I would have thought it would link more to a coil issue, seeing as the bikes are from the same era roughly and would have had the same coils fitted all it's life, one would assume. I'd argue less of an assumption can be made in relation to the plugs.

I haven't got a definitive answer to what caused my problem. Did the helicoil fail, taking the coil out or vice-versa? For anyone interested it would appear Honda used the same coil on a number of cars as well. I haven't taken the time to do a search for recalls/issue with the coils fitted to those cars but they are available on ebay with the same part number for less than £30 each which seems reasonable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-VIII-2-0-2003-ON-PENCIL-IGNITION-COIL-PACK-30520-PNA-007-NEW-/150712058436?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2317238244

Contemplating replacing all the coils but plan to test them first, it might be the seal has gone, in which case:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HCP-001-CYLINDER-HEAD-SPARK-PLUG-GUIDE-ACURA-MDX-YD1-2001-2006-/121529852798?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c4bbe637e

I have seen this a lot on older bikes that I have worked on

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/troubleshooting/09/index.html

As well as this type of damage from overtightening

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/troubleshooting/05/index.html

The spark plugs used in a VFR are only meant to be tightened around 1/6 of a turn or 60° from seated when new and 1/12 of a turn or 30° when re used

Not like older larger plugs at 1/2- 3/4 turn new and 1/4 turn when re used

• Member Contributer

I had the center electrode blow out of the procelain shell when I raced 2 strokes came up through the tank and embedded about 3/4 inch in my chest not quite the same as the coil was frame mounted but if the coil would hold the plug there then it would produce a fairly substancial amount of damage . Aside the Ford trucks with the very small plugs have all kinds of problems with removal and failure ,particularly if not changed occasionally.

• Member Contributer

I saw a 170,000+ mile VTEC engine on the bench that had blown a plug out. Nothing to do with VFR's aging and showing a weakness, just the same old spark plug installation fail (or 1 in 1,000,000 bad plug) that have layed waste to many a good motor. I used to check the torque on my VFR plugs at least once a season. Otherwise i treated the my VTECs as sealed-from-the-factory powerplants knowing full well that taking it apart to mainatain it was far more destructive than leaving it alone.

If it burns a valve then I lose. I never lost. When it came to VFRs BR's valve adjustment schedule always worked for me. Life is far too short to worry about such trivial sh...stuff.

KEB

Archived