Advanced Rider Training, Why Don't You Take It?

OutlawsJustice

• Member Contributer

Time, Money, Location.

I've managed to get by w/o training with varying degrees of success.

I'd love to go to a riding school for fun, should I become unincombered by family obligations.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the MSF basic when I was 16 (1989). Took the advanced after a wreck in 2000 to build my confidence back up. Then took the Ed Bargy school probably in 2001 and got my WERA license. I kept that for a couple of years but never really did anything with it. Since then I've done several track days, but haven't done another school. The most I did was 7 track days one year, but the past couple of years it has only been 1 or 2 days. I'm with zupatun, after a track day I feel so much more comfortable on the street it is hard to believe.

I've thought several times about taking the Kevin Schwantz school when he was at Road Atlanta (I like the track and it is close to home), but just never seemed to have that much extra money laying around. I'd like to do the Total Control course (I have the book), but I want my GF to do it with me (she has only had the MSF basic and 2 track days), so that means double the cost. Of course both of us can probably do the TC course for about what it costs one person to do Kevin Schwantz.

Let's see. There's work, then after that I seem to be a slave to the house.

Most of the time I have to settle for a 3 hour or so loop on Sunday. :wink:

If I can get past the projects, I'd love to do Total Control and/or Pridmores school,

if I can find a class close enough and at the right time.

I did the MSF course before I got my first bike, back in '80.

Did Code's class at Laguna Seca circa '90.

More recently, a handful of track days at Willow Springs Big Track, Streets of Willow, and Fontana Speedway.

I liked Big Willow, it flows and feels like a proper track,

but the other 2 were kind of orange cone layout, parking lot ish, no likee.

It was fun, but too many people treat it like a race. :rolleyes:

Something more structured would be good.

We need a SoCal group class ride, next spring maybe. :warranty:

• 4 weeks later...

My experience is 45 years on a bike seat - started racing motocross as a young lad. Took any course offered at race days - it had to fit the budget. When my son turned 16 I enrolled him in a weekend MSF course - he loved it and it made him a better rider.

My son and I ride the mountain roads up here in the Rockies of Western Alberta and the Interior of British Columbia. We love the roads and the scenery. Took two years to organize a trip 3 weeks in duration covering all the GREAT ROADS in Oregon, California, Utah, Arizona and Washington Sate - every road personally recommended by thoughtful riders like you.

My son and I took 3 weeks this year to travel from Canada down to Southern California ending up in Mesa. Total trip down was 2300 miles. Rode Highway 199 and 62 in Oregon, Highway 36 in California and some other great roads. We both commented that we found ourselves out of our comfort zone seveal times when the twisty's and switcgbacks got more "real: than we are normally used too.

We both signed up for TOTAL CONTROL in Phoenix at Go Arizona. We enjoyed the course immensley!!! We did not realize that the course would get us into Track Days at several courses. On the way home we practised what we had leaned at Total Control. Some cagers must have thought us insane as we hung out sideways off our bikes getting ready going into a turn. Too animated? :):)

We travelled back to Canada and every curve was a practice session in technique, picking the line, looking out of the turn ...... We came to the conclusion that we need more training. A school is our target for next year. With travel to the USA and school cost - about $2500 each. There is nothing local.

Cost and time are the limiting factors that affect training decisions. We both concluded that if you take the time and incur the cost to improve your skills - then you better practice! Fill the tank and RIDE. We had 2700 miles on our homeward journey towards Canada to practice what we learned. The trip raised more questions; hence, more learning required!

Getting to spend 3 weeks riding across this beautiful continent on bikes and taking a motorcycle skills course with your son - well that's priceless!

I've taken a few riding classes, MFS-Basic, a class at Hallett in OK, Ride Smart at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson TX, and a couple of Total Control classes in AR. Besides riding classes I've taken a couple of MAST (Motorcycle Accident Scene Training) class, riding home from the frist acccident training class I rode up on an accident and was able to apply some of my training.

I consider myself damned lucky to still ride. I started @ 16 and turned 80 a few months back. There were no gaps. Did some club racing, early on (paved airfields, British twins and 2 strokes, chasing cones). Tried again and a bit more serious, in the early to mid 90's.

Motorcycling is still huge fun for me; averaging 26 K/year. I decided to stop the occasional track days a few years ago realizing: 1) The youngsters were far more aggressive than I felt comfortable being around. 2) The Cost was getting out of hand for me. 3) Responsibilities @ home left me feeling guilty regarding my ability to heal, should I fall. A really fun outlet for me is Moto Giro's. Small displacement old bikes pushed to near maximums, by trusted friends on country roads. Worst of all? No more night riding and riding in the wet (I still do), is best left to others. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

I consider myself damned lucky to still ride. I started @ 16 and turned 80 a few months back. There were no gaps. Did some club racing, early on (paved airfields, British twins and 2 strokes, chasing cones). Tried again and a bit more serious, in the early to mid 90's.

Motorcycling is still huge fun for me; averaging 26 K/year. I decided to stop the occasional track days a few years ago realizing: 1) The youngsters were far more aggressive than I felt comfortable being around. 2) The Cost was getting out of hand for me. 3) Responsibilities @ home left me feeling guilty regarding my ability to heal, should I fall. A really fun outlet for me is Moto Giro's. Small displacement old bikes pushed to near maximums, by trusted friends on country roads. Worst of all? No more night riding and riding in the wet (I still do), is best left to others. Good fortune, R3~

That's fantastic. I hope I make it to 80 and that if I do, I'm still riding! Don't feel bad - I'm a number of decades your junior and I don't ride in the rain or at night ether.

Congrats on such a long riding career, hope it goes on more years. Makes me hope I can do the same. :beer:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Honestly? I've just been lazy. I took the BRC when I first started riding and after a few thousand miles on my own, group riding or from my trip from Colorado to California and back I just got comfortable.

I've often thought about taking the ARC and now the USAF is requiring that we take the ARC every so many years. It's a good idea, especially since they are paying for it. Now I just need to make time to go...

• 4 weeks later...

Time, money, family, location, friends, other hobbies(Mountain biking, shooting, hiking, hunting). There are no ARC's in my state(S.C.) that I've been able to find. And since Road Atlanta is the closest that I know of to me, it would be a weekend away from family affair. Ever since SCDMV decided to stop accepting waivers from third party organizations for licensing the training courses have dried up and gone the way of the Dodo.

Time, money, family, location, friends, other hobbies(Mountain biking, shooting, hiking, hunting). There are no ARC's in my state(S.C.) that I've been able to find. And since Road Atlanta is the closest that I know of to me, it would be a weekend away from family affair. Ever since SCDMV decided to stop accepting waivers from third party organizations for licensing the training courses have dried up and gone the way of the Dodo.

That almost happened in TN this year... would have been a tragedy.

I think the reason most don't seek out courses is because it's "not cool"... Our local HOG chapter had a president that required the road captains to have a ERC every two years... and sure enough we'd fill a class or two with them, and it was "cool" in the club. That president died (on the road, unfortunately) and we haven't sold a class to the HOG in two years.

For me personally, I've always sought out more training, and every opportunity has made riding more enjoyable. The one's I'd like to take now are: Trials, the local Trials Training Center has a "Trials for a Day" course where they rent you a bike and an instructor...

For me personally, I've always sought out more training, and every opportunity has made riding more enjoyable. The one's I'd like to take now are: Trials, the local Trials Training Center has a "Trials for a Day" course where they rent you a bike and an instructor... )))))))

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be much more of an advanced course.

I never took the basic msf and while it does have some useful info, I did have to take the advanced course to rid a ticket or else I would never have taken it. Was the advanced course of any value, that really depends what your skill level and riding experience has been . Adult new riders, theses courses are really good for testing purposes, cause they haven't seen any of this type of exposure. If youve ridden and raced since a kid and made it to adulthood, you might find them boring with little challenge.

All I can say about the advance course, they don't care how you ride to achieve their obstacles, as long as you can do the obstacles they don't care about how many fingers you use, unlike a basic msf course.

• Member Contributer

We will not be having the Spring Total Control ARC Classes in Tn. This year as the site location got sold. So the folks from the Nashville Riders have worked hard and gotten help from a local training provider so we can come back to offer the classes in the fall!.

Also now that I am living on the West Coast I will be teaching the Total Control intermediate and advanced classes here now as well. If anyone is interested hit me up and I can tell you where I will be for limited dates (The new job keeps me busy and on the road but I am not giving up teaching!) I will also be flying back East for a few classes!

Keeping skills sharp and learning new things is so important! I am always looking myself as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, I was one of those "BMW guys" who started reading "Twist of the Wrist" by Keith Code, took notes, and then read it again taking more notes.

Then I took his class at Road America renting one of their ZX-6s. I wanted to race eventually, which is what I did.

Though I do not like that the Code School has gone to some BMW bikes, he's the only one I would recommend for advanced classes.

Once into the Racing industry you see just how much of a Professional, head and shoulders ABOVE all else, the Code School really is.

We've got "Instructors" in the MW who make MY skin crawl. Caveat emptor...

If anyone is interested in Total Control in the Mid-Atlantic region we are filling classes each month here in Virginia. If you would like some details just let me know.

• Member Contributer

Have taken MSF BRC and MSF ERC. The reason honestly is time management and priorities. Enjoy motorcycling but it is one part of life. First ride this year after a year with probably under a thousand miles caught some no nos I was doing. Wish I would of at least signed up for the MSF BRC this year, the details will come back to me but think the exercises really help.

I've been riding bikes for many many years and have experience of many different disciplines covering off-road, racing, track days and road riding. Over the years I've done Bikesafe courses run by the Police here in the UK, ridden with instructors and got some feed back but until last year had never done an official advanced riding course. I like to think I'm a fairly competent road rider but have always hidden behind the old excuse of "I haven't got time" to sign up and do some training. Rubbish excuse of course because the truth is I had plenty of time I was just spending it on other things. I also let my ego get in the way, I'm an experienced biker, why do I want some Percy belt wearing, nomark with less experience than me, an ex-racer FFS, telling me how to ride...I know stuff you know! But of course the truth is they were just excuses and the sensible thing to do is be assessed by another experienced rider who'll be honest enough to point out your mistakes.

I got lucky as my observer turned out to be someone I know and know to be a good experienced and well respected rider so my initial fears of ending up with a nerd who'd fast tracked him / herself through the system and wasn't even born when I first threw a leg over a bike were immediately laid to rest.

So, I did my observed rides, took my RoSPA (UK outfit) test and happily passed. What did I take from it? The satisfaction of knowing that a Police trained class 1 rider thought I was a good rider and the reminders regarding observation and decision making that sharpen you up and remind you of your bad habits and risk taking that being long in the tooth can become second nature.

I'd recommend to anyone, whatever age and experience, that they take some advanced training and keep their hand in long term.

• Member Contributer

And the Total Control Program is supported by the State program in Virginia as well!

there are many good track schools out there, I have done a few different ones, the one I got the most out of so far was Penguin Racing in the East. I am going to do others out here in the West going forward as well. Cant ever learn too much

• Member Contributer

And the Total Control Program is supported by the State program in Virginia as well!

there are many good track schools out there, I have done a few different ones, the one I got the most out of so far was Penguin Racing in the East. I am going to do others out here in the West going forward as well. Cant ever learn too much

Yeah, Lee Parks Total Control is what I would like to take. Seems like the next logical step after MSF ERC.

• 3 weeks later...

Two big reasons: cost and location. I'm a riding instructor, and value the benefit of education. One of the reasons I teach is because if improves my own riding. (The other reason is because I enjoy telling people what to do, and what they're doing wrong!) But as far as advanced classes go, these usually tend to run a pretty penny, and are hard to come by in the midwest. Apparently there are some beginner track days that include instruction, so I'll be looking into that. I'd love to take an off-road class, but the Chicagoland area isn't known for it's wilderness and varied terrain..

Archived