Power Outlet(S) On 7Th Gen?

swimmer

• Member Contributer

I'm debating the purchase of a 7th gen and I am trying to work through all the stuff I would need to do to make it "mine" and I was wondering where people are putting power ports/plugs for heated gear, etc.... I could find no info about whether the VFR comes with any outlets so I am guessing it does not. I prefer to have the connection for my heated vest down back by the rear side of the seat or passenger pegs so that the cord is not going over the tank, has anyone mounted an outlet there?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I have heated gear connected directly to the battery, also use it for charging my battery (still on original battery 4+ years) and can connect to charge phone,mp3 device.

Do you just have an SAE connection hanging from the battery or where did you mount a socket?

Yeah my heated gear connection is down by the seat ,direct to the battery, My power port connection is up front of the bike, which is used for items other than heated gear. MOst heated gear comes with direct wire hardware connections, so might as well use that design, and keep the power port free for other stuff.

I use product from Warm N Safe heated gear, they have SAE-Coax adapter & USB Adapter. I rarely use heated grip because heated gloves does a better job at keeping my hands warm. I also have the same cigarette plug that f3racer has, mounted in the same location. 014-sae-coax-plug-adaptor__53689.1405431usb_power_case_1054__65209.1405431453.12

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1411875804.602224.jpg

USB on left, cigarette on the right, power let down inside left front fairing, in an existing hole. PDM60 module used as a fuse less fuse block.

That looks good. How much room is there below that inner fairing? I have a dual USB plug that clamps in, but it's fairly deep, likely 1.5" below the fairing...would it fit?

And is there a RAM mount for the steering stem? Never put one there before... Time to make this bike mine.

-Dan

EDIT: here's the one I have, it does not need the rectangular plastic piece if you are mounting in a plastic panel (it can clamp on).

81EqvjPHUPL._SL1500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
post-26046-0-43085200-1374105751.jpg
post-26046-0-59865200-1374105747.jpg
post-26046-0-63898300-1374105738.jpg

I've painted the bracket since taking these pictures Its a really clean look and easily accessed.

Next mod will be to send power to the top box, with a cable that can be unplugged from the box and tucked under the seat when not in use

• Member Contributer

Clint, how is the mounting bracket attached to the ignition barrel? Did you have to disassemble much?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

CLint, what are you using for the steering stem ram mount? The standard RAM mount is an offset 1" ball...looking for something that stays concentric with the stem...

-Dan

• 5 weeks later...

This maybe a little late to the party, but I've been using this system for close to 8 years. I had these BMW style connectors on my ST1300 and now in my VFR. One is for my battery tender and the other is for my jacket liner. Jacket liner is controlled through a panel mount Heat-Troller.

post-30377-0-23627000-1421115005.jpg

• Member Contributer

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74718-huntinggunns-2012-build-thread/page-4#

I like Clint's set up a little better but did the same with mine before I sold her. Made some L brackets to mount with the 2 screws under the ignition cover. Then mounted a couple of 3BR powersports USB ports on them. Worked perfect.

• Member Contributer

CLint, what are you using for the steering stem ram mount? The standard RAM mount is an offset 1" ball...looking for something that stays concentric with the stem...

-Dan

Adaptiv makes a in-line center mount for its line of swivel accessories mounts. It replaces the steering OEM stem nut. It's made from anodized Al, so torque to their recommended setting, not that for the OEM steel nut. The top plate has thru holes that match most other manufacturers mount plates. I have two setups, one with the magnetic RAM base, and the other for a phone mount as shown (uses the Adaptiv steering stem mount and an extra extender arm). I like the look of the Adaptiv a bit better w/o the finger nut sticking out the side, though they're harder to adjust on the fly. I've found that not to be an issue as once set right there is no need.

post-29709-0-05249800-1421680300.jpg

• Member Contributer

I ordered a ball mount that clamps internally into the steering stem hole/cylinder so you don't need to replace anything (expecting delivery soon). I'm going to wait until it gets a little warmer to decide how to mount up a USB plug.

Would love to see your bracket!

- Dan

A little late to the party, but this is how I mounted my 3BR USB power source. They aren't "cheap", but I figured if I was going to spend the time to do it myself, it was going to get done right. Under the LH faring, the cable is attached to the quartet harness (sourced from DavidSilverSpares) for switched power. I even picked up the proper molex connector off eBay so there was no wire splicing involved. It's now plug and play...

IMG_20130407_154243_zps19e865b8.jpg

Sent from my OnePlus One using Forum Fiend

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I am going to go the Clint route to avoid any drilling. Just need to figure out the bracket Clint used. There are some brackets out there from SW Motech made for handle bar mounting with two bolt holes instead of one, but a hacksaw, a grinder and some filing should fix that if I don't just work with a piece of flat metal...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-handlebar-mounting-bracket-for-flush-mount-12-volt-cigarette-style-socket

Will try to get this done over the weekend.

A little late to the party, but this is how I mounted my 3BR USB power source. They aren't "cheap", but I figured if I was going to spend the time to do it myself, it was going to get done right. Under the LH faring, the cable is attached to the quartet harness (sourced from DavidSilverSpares) for switched power. I even picked up the proper molex connector off eBay so there was no wire splicing involved. It's now plug and play... IMG_20130407_154243_zps19e865b8.jpgSent from my OnePlus One using Forum Fiend

I like this set up as well, but those don't look like stock bars, and with the stockers it looks like there may not be enough room between the bottom of the outlet and the top of the suspension knobs...

• Member Contributer

So I copied Clint and played with metal today. Took a burnt out battery tender and flattened out the steel case, cut out a bracket shape, drilled some holes and filed a bunch and I'm close to his bracket. Not exactly sure where to drill the mounting hole yet but I'll figure it out tomorrow. Here's my progress so far.

0C779066-EB49-4F4E-A216-E09F1B6A97E6_zps

50360612-8B20-4676-A010-BFA95FB356A3_zps

0A10E6CC-3422-45B5-B602-EB03872EBEF4_zps

3FD553A9-5DC6-442D-89C0-C20E9D6A3EE3_zps

This is what I'm copying -

5147AEE9-16E4-4C2A-AE18-BDAC07201437_zps

th_53A7788E-3E08-4EF7-AC97-552E01F3A5B1_

F7C6FE24-009C-4D31-8E61-CDE0127CC58E_zps

If you're interested, a couple more pics

9507CCCA-1187-402F-A501-CB672577E492_zps

C9347DE5-6137-4115-A92B-56A8589F73EB_zps

EE18AD55-A1CA-4E60-8461-EB438BDCCC4D_zps