Power Outlet(S) On 7Th Gen?

swimmer

Good job. You can always buy this one and save yourself some time and effort:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2FastMoto-Handlebar-USB-Charger-Motorcycle-Dirtbike-ATV-UTV-Suzuki-/191225392561?hash=item2c85ebedb1&vxp=mtr

Comes with the bracket - just bent it. Sellers form china sells it for 5 bucks. The one above is from US.

• Member Contributer

That actually looks like it would work pretty well.

Have you installed one with the bracket bent? Does the socket ride pretty high compared to the key?

If I had seen this earlier, I probably would have saved myself an hour of cutting and filing... :)

Found the $5 from China version - bought one just to check out the bracket.

http://r.ebay.com/5w9CWg

- Dan

No, I went the different route but I was considering this. Its worth trying, its cheap.

No reason this would not bend. If bend only it would be higher. If you want it lower you need to shorten the bracket and drill another hole.

Or just keep what you have and you can always laser cut a simple bracket:

2556gyw.jpg

• Member Contributer

No, I went the different route...

Or just keep what you have and you can always laser cut a simple bracket:

2556gyw.jpg

Did you fashion a bracket like that? If so, I'd love the dimensions. Trying to figure the distance between the edge of the large hole to the edge of the hole for the screw below the ignition switch.

I have yet to pull the screw (for diameter of the screw hole) and to hold the bracket up to the bike to see how close I can go while still leaving room for the outlet.

- Dan

• Member Contributer

That actually looks like it would work pretty well.

Have you installed one with the bracket bent? Does the socket ride pretty high compared to the key?

If I had seen this earlier, I probably would have saved myself an hour of cutting and filing... :)

Found the $5 from China version - bought one just to check out the bracket.

http://r.ebay.com/5w9CWg

- Dan

Great find, ordered 2.

I'm a CAD/CAM pro - I draw it within 1 min using the specs I have for my sockets. Give me the hole and OD diameter's of your socket and I will draw one for you.

Mine is 36mm flange OD and the 30mm mounting hole.

• Member Contributer

I'm a CAD/CAM pro - I draw it within 1 min using the specs I have for my sockets. Give me the hole and OD diameter's of your socket and I will draw one for you.

Mine is 36mm flange OD and the 30mm mounting hole.

Will do! Expect a PM later today.

Thanks!

- Dan

• Member Contributer

PM sent - this is for a Blue Sea 1016 dual usb outlet. https://www.bluesea.com/products/1016/Dual_USB_Charger_Socket

For anyone curious about this outlet (from manufacturer website) - "Cut Out Dimensions 1 1⁄8 in (28.58 mm) dia. hole."

The outer diameter is the same as yours - 36mm.

Thanks!

- Dan

• Forum CEO

Heated Grip controller

Ez Block - fused relayed wire block

Slide the mount down the head tube

Ram mount ball

GPS Mount

Gswansons Steering stem gps mount

I got an ez block under the seat, that powers a usb plug on the right side, and a powerlet for my gps on the right, a radar detector, and the heated seat and grips. I also have a powerlet on the rear left connected to a pulsed width controler for my heated vest and gloves. I cant stand the cold so I got all sorts of heated gear, too many cold rides taught me gear makes all the difference.

• Member Contributer

Slammer - what make/model are those heated grips?

As for the mount, it's done, but I'm going to hit it with some black rustoleom spray paint. Waiting on some connectors from Joe at cycleterminal.com so I can just plug the USB outlet direct into the quartet harness (which I need to install - scared to take off the fairings) for fused switched power. Will add a pic of the bracket later today, but it fits on the bike!

• Member Contributer

Those heat demon grips look like they have a nice interface...

So here's a pick of the painted bracket I fabricated from a Battery Tender Jr case...

5DC195AF-D778-4D88-B669-DACBFCDFD933_zps

I received the connectors allowing me to plug directly into the quartet harness, crimped and soldered some leads to them, and now I just need time to pull the fairings to install the harness... will be the first time I'm stripping the VFR, but looking forward to it!

I'll post a pic of the final install when complete.

-Dan

Archived