Is It Worth 500 Bucks?

• Member Contributer

So, reading the service manual I have decided to re-do the timing.

Even though the final orientation as pictured above is or appears to be correct, I have decided to remove the cams and re-install them following the procedure.

Starting with the rear head, I set the timing mark to T1 at the top of the stroke for Cylinder #1.

Dropped in the cams with timing arrows pointing in the opposite directions as pictured below.

Now, the question is, how to tighten down the cam holders, 'coz the cams must be pressed in to overcome resistance of the buckets and lay a bit crooked and awkward like.

I'm afraid that I'm gona brake something if I use cam holder bolts to "press" the cams into position.

RearCamsInstallation_zps1e05724b.jpg

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's fascinating reading all of this... But I have to ask... Was it still worth the $500?

Serious question. I know I paid $500 for mine and now have about $2000 total, plus almost 12 months invested in getting it road worthy. And I'd say it has TOTALLY been worth it.

• Member Contributer

It's fascinating reading all of this... But I have to ask... Was it still worth the $500?

Serious question. I know I paid $500 for mine and now have about $2000 total, plus almost 12 months invested in getting it road worthy. And I'd say it has TOTALLY been worth it.

To me, it's therapy.

An opportunity to think about something other than real life, while getting my hands dirty.

If I screw it up, which I very well might do, based on my "success" with timing so far, I'll only risk $500.

Until and unless I can get the engine running perfectly, there are no plans to spend any money on the rest of the bike.

• Member Contributer

Rice, after you put the starter clutch back in, did you check the pulse generator gap width? Make sure it hasn't moved out of the optimal setting. Cuz that will affect spark and the timing a bit too.

Just a thought.

Pulse generator gap

• Member Contributer

Rice, after you put the starter clutch back in, did you check the pulse generator gap width? Make sure it hasn't moved out of the optimal setting. Cuz that will after spark and the timing a bit too.

Just a thought.

I most certainly did not :comp13:

Will do that. Thanks for the tip.

Hmmmmm ....

Indeed :491:

• Member Contributer

Time for another update.

First, I looked at the service manual and did not find any specifications for the pulse generator gap.

This makes me think that it may not be adjustable.

Timing.

This seems to be another one of those areas where others on here would simply mention reinstalling the cams in passing as a routine task akin to filling up a gas tank.

Not me.

So I have all cams off ATM.

The manual states that when all cams are off the crank should point to T1 mark.

The arrow mark on the cam gear is facing outward and is horizontal as specified.

There is another mark on the cam gear w/o the arrow which I am not using.

This places the #1 cylinder at TDC according to my trusty dippin' straw.

The problem is that in this position, intake valves hit the piston.

I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, but having read and re-read the manual I can't for the life of me figure out what.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, that seems odd, do you have all 4 cams out, or just the cams on one bank? At TDC on cylinder #1, all cylinder #1 valves should be closed, but valves on the other cylinder on the same bank could/would have valves (either intake or exhaust) open. Same with the cylinders on the other bank, intake or exhaust valves would be open. I know you will get some valve spring tension when tightening the cams down, but should be minimal on the #1 cylinder.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, that seems odd, do you have all 4 cams out, or just the cams on one bank? At TDC on cylinder #1, all cylinder #1 valves should be closed, but valves on the other cylinder on the same bank could/would have valves (either intake or exhaust) open. Same with the cylinders on the other bank, intake or exhaust valves would be open. I know you will get some valve spring tension when tightening the cams down, but should be minimal on the #1 cylinder.

+1 me too !!!

• Member Contributer

Check the manual again. When installing the rear camshafts you line them up at T1 using the timing MARKS on the camshaft (ie lines without the arrows) and when you install the front cams you line them up at T2 using the timing ARROWS on the camshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Check the manual again. When installing the rear camshafts you line them up at T1 using the timing MARKS on the camshaft (ie lines without the arrows) and when you install the front cams you line them up at T2 using the timing ARROWS on the camshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AHA!!!!!!

I was aligning arrows on the rear bank. This explains it.

I will definitely look at the manual again.

Many thanks.

And I did remove all the cams just n case

• Member Contributer

Cams are in and everything is turning nicely. This time I know that it's done right.

Now waiting for the clutch cover gasket and oil change.

Will see how she runs then.

• Member Contributer

I am waiting for the clutch cover gasket to arrive - Should be today.

Next steps:

- Change oil

- Reassemble everything

- Cross my fingers

- Say a prayer to the motorcycle gods

- Try to start it

• Member Contributer

We're with ya man!

C'mon Baby!!! Fire up!!!!

• Member Contributer

In sha Allah!!!!

I don't think you are helping Leon...

As I understand it (and don't quote me on it) the Muslim faith is against the kind of sexiness that is a running 3rd Gen VFR...He may even be required to cover the bike while riding through areas where Sharia law is prominent.

Archived