Is It Worth 500 Bucks?

• Member Contributer

As I was browsing the c-list today, I have stumbled upon a 92 in a "project" or "take over payments" state.

01212_bd1eZMRtPV3_600x450.jpg

According to the seller:

No major crashes

Plastics are all there

Headlight is missing

Engine turns over but does not start due to an "electrical issue". He bought it as a project and never saw the engine running...

Clear title

The bike seat for a year under a tarp

It's just over an hour's drive for me each way

01414_7NjmX577pTO_600x450.jpg

00404_gV9ZC4FxQgb_600x450.jpg

So,

What y'all think?

Is it worth 500 bucks?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The rear wheel alone sells for $250-$300 most of the time.

Yeah. I know. That's what I told the guy. I only really need the rear wheel, but am willing to overpay for a potential project down the road, when I get bored.

• Member Contributer

If the plastics are good (not cracked, tabs intact), there's probably a 3rd gen owner that would give their right arm for them. The V&H slipon should also be an easy sell. You could probably sell them and maybe a few other bits and have the 8 spoke for free.

• Member Contributer

How large is your garage/back garden

and

How blind/forgiving is your wife?

:goofy:

I would only buy it If I thought I could make a profit on the wheel, exhaust, and plastics. That way if worse comes to worse and the repairs become too much, I could recoup my investment.

• Member Contributer

If the plastics are good (not cracked, tabs intact), there's probably a 3rd gen owner that would give their right arm for them. The V&H slipon should also be an easy sell. You could probably sell them and maybe a few other bits and have the 8 spoke for free.

Don't know about condition of plastics, but by the looks of it, it's nothing that can't be repaired with some Plastifix if push comes to shove.

This is a good story though, which I can use to justify the purchase :wink:

In reality though, I will prolly want to see it restored if not too much work is involved.

How large is your garage/back garden

and

How blind/forgiving is your wife?

:goofy:

I do have room for it in my garage.

The wife though is neither of those things :unsure:

Buy it, sally

I will, but only because YOU told me so. This makes it YOUR fault. :goofy:

Expect a visit from my wife. She wields a mean guilt trip.

Did ya buy it yet?

Exchanged texts with the owner. Going to pick it up on Sunday.

To be continued...

Original asking price was 1000. The owner told me that he's been receiving a bunch of offers the highest of which was 600, but most - 500.

I told him that that's because it's not worth more than 500, which is what I honestly believe based on all the info I got.

P.S. I don't expect to make a profit on it. The only reason I am going for it is to have a potential project and because I always loved how these bikes look in white. Don't think that it will do much riding under me, since the 6th gen I have now is a better handler.

• Member Contributer

Hey!

I haven't even bought it yet.

Quit circling :mad:

• Member Contributer

I am beginning to feel like a kid before Christmas :bliss:

Haven't spent a dime yet and the bike is already paying dividends

gll465 Has been providing lots of great tips, which I greatly appreciate - Keep'em coming!

Love this community :wub:

• Member Contributer

Brought it home yesterday.

As always, every adventure is... An adventure :wacko:

It's been an hour and a half drive to the seller's place, mostly highway. Right as I got off the highway, I got stuck at the traffic light and noticed that my A/C is blowing hot air. Quick glance at the temp gauge confirmed that I was about to overheat. I turn onto a residential street that headed towards a gas station, but got stuck in a standstill traffic due to an accident ahead. Great. Just what I need.

Since the gas station was 1/2 a block ahead, I jumped onto the oncoming lane and made it in just in time to notice the PO at the scene giving me a dirty look.

Opened the hood and discovered that my trusty Flex-a-lite e-fan controller, which I've had for 4 years has given up ghost.

With the help of some wire cutters, I bypassed the controller and hooked up the fans directly to the battery.

29c82e33-1fb8-43ef-a7fb-729ce30e6dd7_zps

Back in business.

After finalizing the deal with the seller, he helped me load the bike and all the extras. We got to talking and as it turns out, someone I know locally has been trying to buy this same bike a few month ago, but the deal fell through.

Here are some of my back home pictures.

A2ADA246-E340-406D-831C-6AC0EEA57483_zps

2FD47649-08F9-4E49-B251-5D398242A11B_zps

E7A45539-392D-484B-8CD1-A71286B725C9_zps

BA183896-1A52-44D1-8848-3D02F1844D69_zps

The inventory of plastics. Looots of work there, but it can be done.

741AF271-6F7D-4BC3-9408-28B9E15F4759_zps

I couldn't resist doing the initial vital checks.

After hooking up my battery, the dash came to life

7582F7C9-B441-4F34-BDB9-714B4F7D1457_zps

Now, is the engine turning? The oil was pristinely clean, as was the antifreeze. Still, I decided to turn it by hand firs, just in case.

C1F6C809-E310-475C-80FF-4D354BF701C0_zps

The first attempt resulted in a very unpleasant scratching noise coming from what I thing was the forward cylinder bank (I could be wrong here). Almost felt like the piston was trying to overcome rust.

I then removed plugs, which were all in good order showing just the right amount of soot and sprayed some wd40 in all cylinders. After a few minutes, the motor turned over w/o any(much) drama. I am hoping here for this particular problem to just heal itself once I get it running.

Next came the air box and what I was almost sure, a mouse house.

But, a pleasant surprise awaited. Not only was the mouse not in residence, but there was a very serviceable K&N filter.

579D45D5-77A2-4A83-B78E-72C3880ECB6D_zps

The venturi's (?) were perfectly clean w/o any signs of dirt or rust.

C9A0E260-2E65-4C09-81D0-25E18F68F3C3_zps

All good news so far. :cheerleader:

Then it was time to check out electrics.

All fuses are intact.

E8D9D564-A17A-4D20-A5BD-C3A7EB345C96_zps

One is missing (either turn signal or headlight), couple are incorrect, but it's a start.

The rectum fryer is fried as expected.

526A162E-43C0-433F-8284-7372F719DA5C_zps

440040D7-0BD8-4CE0-8FFA-FFE9AB721A78_zps

The starter relay and its plugs are toast as well. Probably.

DBAB5067-03D7-4676-970D-7599013C733C_zps

I was able to turn the motor with the starter bypassing this minor disaster.

Below is something that was a blessing in disguise.

CA2D538F-6CAF-4EB7-8E63-54DC3A7D0A35_zps

Someone had cut the fuel line to the pump as part of long-term storage maintenance.

You wana know how to prep your bike for the winter? That's how it's done, kids.

And I sure was thankful to whomever done it, 'coz the tank was perfectly clean inside. This was an unexpected bonus. I was honestly preparing myself for dealing with muriatic acid and POR15. Not something I'd choose to do for fun.

But before I could make that discovery, I had to get the tank opened first.

The key that works in the ignition does not fit the tank or the helmet lock - Seat lock is missing.

43C80F77-9BF1-4A9E-BB05-C84F7750AC94_zps

The next picture portrays violence and mutilation.

0ACB9410-7B08-4607-A687-5765CEB75144_zps

But the tank is open

308AE35C-7520-4422-8F30-1718B8760417_zps

Right now, I am drying the tank after the wash down.

3D9CC508-128A-4593-AE74-07933952032B_zps

My next steps will be to get the beastie running and rolling under its own power.

Cosmetics will have to wait until winter. I tend to have more patience to tinker with sanding and painting when I got nothing better to do.

• Member Contributer

I assume it was completely empty of petrol ..

Yes. I washed it out with water, dried it and sprayed some WD40 inside.

There's still some aluminum shavings from the lock removal, but they're big enough to get filtered out by the petcock screen and then by the fuel filter if they ever get that far.

• Member Contributer

I assume it was completely empty of petrol ..

Yes. I washed it out with water, dried it and sprayed some WD40 inside.

There's still some aluminum shavings from the lock removal, but they're big enough to get filtered out by the petcock screen and then by the fuel filter if they ever get that far.

10-4

• Member Contributer

It's alive!

After some tinkering with the electrical system, I managed to start the beast.

It huffed and it puffed and produced a bunch of smoke, but it started and ran.

That sound of GDCs is indeed something sweet.

No knocking - Just smooth as can be and pretty quiet with the silencer off.

But then it started to piss fuel something fierce and I shut it off.

Now, I need to find where it comes from.

One guess is that the bowl drains are open from the storage prep. At least I hope so. Nothing like an easy solution. Oh, and I'm an optimist.

Off I go to test that theory.

Archived