Leather Conditioner

PhotoOp

Any one have a recommendation for a decent leather conditioner? I know Aerostitch sells one but just looking for any other options I should consider.

• Member Contributer

When I purchased a leather sofa set a few years back, it came with a leather cleaning and conditioning kit. Personally I use the kit to treat all my other leather as well. Other than that, I have used the Meguiars leather conditioner on the seats and such in my wife's 98 Tahoe and it works great. The Meguiars stuff is also available at most auto parts stores. Just my 2 cents.

Lexol leather conditioner was recommended by the store where I bought my coat and has worked well for me.

I have heard rumor that hand lotion is basically the same and it works as well but have not tried it.

• Member Contributer

+1 to the above. My father did a lot of leather work when he was alive and based on his experience the one thing I would avoid for use on MC leathers would be Neatsfoot oil. It's used to make leather softer and more supple (often when trying to stretch leather), but it will also oxidize (sun exposure) and can lead to the leather becoming brittle. All you want to do is to replace the natural oils in the leather and a kit or mink oil would be fine. Oils may though turn leather darker, so if color is a concern try it in an out of the way place first. If you can't fine a kit I've had good luck with a product called "Lexol".

• Member Contributer

This stuff works great...has pine pitch and mink oil.

post-19529-13885379832522.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Use a damp cloth to clean it and let dry over night. Then use Nexol for conditioning. If it's too dirty for the damp rag, you can clean with baby shampoo or even Goop (lanolin based). Baby shampoo works good for helmet liners too.

• Member Contributer

I've been using baby wipes (Kirkland brand) for cleaning and they do a great job, and for conditioning I have some conditioner I got with my Dainese leathers and I've been using that for now. I had a big container of Lexol at one time but can't seem to find it but it worked well for my other leather goods when I had it.

I use saddle soap to clean off the bug guts, then Lexol it real good.

Used mink oil in the past, that worked fine too.

Lexol was recommended to me by Z Custom when I bought my suit.

• Member Contributer

Vanson suggests using Pledge for cleaning their gear. Good enough for me and my Vanson's.

• Member Contributer

Vanson suggests using Pledge for cleaning their gear. Good enough for me and my Vanson's.

Hey, that's for polishing the bike! :cool:

• Member Contributer

If you cant find Lexol, they make the Toyota leather stuff and it is available in every Toyota dealers service department...

Go to your local equestrian supply store. They've been caring for leathers since man has been riding horses. I've been using saddle soap since I discovered this.

Brian

• Member Contributer

Go to your local equestrian supply store. They've been caring for leathers since man has been riding horses. I've been using saddle soap since I discovered this.

Brian

+1

post-8974-0-59377400-1388766915.jpg

Archived