Coming Soon... Thurn Motorsport Clear Clutch Cover Vtec

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Spoke with Gerhard Thurn from Thurn Motorsport in Germany.
They are finalizing a new addition to their array of VFR goodies.....

post-8974-0-88637200-1384101166.jpg

The lower ring chemically bonded to the cover, so no visible welds.
Expect a price of around 130 euro for the clear window parts plus labor to fit to your side cover.

I have no business relation with them, other than a happy customer since the late 90's.

Seb of course the original "windower" :-)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Are "windowed" clutch covers ok for track use or does tech inspection frown on them?

• Member Contributer

That expected price is to include labor, exclude shipping and the cover itself.

The "difference" is in how the lower ring is affixed.

What is between the rings I donot know.

• Member Contributer

Wow.

It is completely different, they used 18 bolts and Seb used 16. Night and day...

:unsure:

The chemical bonding thing does sound different. Still, I prefer the look of a good tig weld, that's art right there imho.

• Member Contributer

Who brought this trend to Thurn's attention so that they could fill a need already being filled by a member of VFR forums?

• Member Contributer

Not me but what makes you think that he doesnot read VFR forums? Thurn has been making and selling Honda/VFR part for decades....

• Member Contributer

Chemical bond sounds like epoxy, which sounds like it can pop off when the bike tips over.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, if I were to get this mod done I'd prefer welding to epoxy and I'd prefer the quick turn around of domestic shipping rather that sending my cover overseas. You're not without your advantages Seb! :wink:

• Member Contributer

Wow. That looks exactly like Seb's. Leaning towards the 'that's not cool' side of things.

... and I'm sure Seb's looks similar to someone else's. :cool:

Seems like I have seen the same design on a couple TL1000.

Here you go Seb you'll like this ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnrxNJ7Lin8

• Member Contributer

Guys over on Custom street fighters have been doing clutch windows for some time, along with car rear rims and other mods that have made their way over here and elsewhere. A guy on V4BBS did this one for his Magna in 2008...

Finishedcase1090208_zpsb2c3829a.jpg

Can't say where Thurn got the idea cause the idea's been out there. Seb does nice work but we can't cry fowl since there aren't too many ways to skin this cat.

• Member Contributer

I don't think there's any blame to go around, it's a free market and all. But, the bike, this clutch cover, has been out since '98 and they're just starting now...Seb identified the market and created the idea, they're copying. Which is fine...too bad it wasn't patented.

Can't say where Thurn got the idea cause the idea's been out there. Seb does nice work but we can't cry fowl since there aren't too many ways to skin this cat.

The idea is definitely not new, and I would never stop anyone from doing their own thing. I'm just saying that when I did mine, I had my own take on the design, and if someone wants to do their own thing, then make it your own!

The elephant in my room is - it better be as good as mine. Because it looks the same, I could suffer from bad publicity. I don't just attach these to VFR's ya know. Given Thurn's history I'm sure it will be fine and that he will stand behind his product. But it does irk me a bit.

• Member Contributer

I would definitely buy Sebs... wouldn't even consider another brand. I still would like to know though... Are "windowed" clutch covers ok for track use or does tech inspection frown on them?

I just bought a 5th gen spare engine and it has a rashed clutch cover and I'm looking to make a track bike.

Archived