Coming Soon... Thurn Motorsport Clear Clutch Cover Vtec

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Is that Thurn cover domed?

That's the next stage to building these i could use, as the plastic can quite simply be formed to fit ergonomically.

there will be oil slpashed all over the clear glass- so not as cool as one would think unless it sits up a while

Yes you are right...

I did a test last week to check the sealing of composite parts to a window i had here.

Here is a 10 minute warm up and first test of the cover i fitted over xmas to check for leaks. Soz its not a Sebs either..

Once passed the initial warm up of about 4 mins i take revs up to about 5000 and things start moving in there.

It is the middle of winter here and freezing. So can see water sitting on the cold polycarbonate screen first. Once the bike is properly hot and over 100C, i expect the hot Castrol 10-30 semi to drop faster to the sump with no water vapor forming on the window as it finally reaches the same temp as the ally case and water boils away.

Looks like a washing machine as the temps change in the cold winters day and oil starts to move about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8qvt9din2nk8w9/clutch%20window%20test.AVI

Next to do is a hard day of track abuse. Mainly to check the slipper clutch is adjusted enough to make it come on earlier and to see how the window behaves under pressure.

Looking tight so far so dont expect anything untoward now.

post-5025-0-24661000-1389887825.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Yes they "domed" it :goofy:

Once the oil is warmed up, the window stays clear no problem

post-8974-0-28861500-1389629106.jpg

When very cold overnight, the initial phase is not so clear...

post-8974-0-22195800-1389629138.jpg

Thurn plan to make the inside of the ring "dome" as well as to aid oil flowing off/back

I love Seb's work. Top shelf.

Hate to say it, but shipping might be more reasonable for you from Germany to Holland???

The larger chamfer on the Thurn part looks interesting, but if it makes the window area smaller, I don't like that.

Hate to say it, but shipping might be more reasonable for you from Germany to Holland???

I was quoted 28 Euro by Mr Thurn-Motorsports for shipping and insurance from Churrrrmini to Noo Zilund, so to the Netherregionsland must be practically free.

• Member Contributer

Hello RC,

After having been called a rat here :goofy: I better move cautiously. Last thing I want is to be carried away from VFRD like this

Huck_Finn_Travelling_by_Rail.jpg

:goofy:

I really like the cover I got from Seb, for the fact it is made by VFRD members, the quality of the work and I had Timmythecop sourcing and muling the cover :beer::beer::beer:

Not sure what a covers weighs but shipping up to 2kg to the USA is Eur 24.

Shipping back will be about the same, but you run the risk of Dutch Customs opening it. seeing the quality of the work they may put a significant value to it and levy import duties accordingly (plus Eur 12,50 handling charge).

AFAIK, Thurn plans to offer this for 1998 VFR800 upwards from March. The VFR750 modification they aim for some time in the middle of this year.

Well Thurn make really top quality products and so does SebSpeed... it does make one wonder WHY they decided to bring out this product now DECADES after VFRs have existed...Did they do clear clutch cover Windows for other models prior to this one? We all know Seb doesn't OWN the idea or patent to clear clutch voers but...

I have an set of excellent quality adjustable rearsets by Thurn... but the even funnier thing is that soe time ago they stopped producing them... probably due to lack of interest... and seeing this latest wave of interest in clear clutch covers for VFRs... they really do seem to be jumping on the bandwagon.

Seb you should offer rearsets... as there are currently several people looking at options... just saying!!

• Member Contributer

Sounds like Dutchy is a distributor to me . I knew it ....

Did I really meet you at TMAC12 and not try to run you over? :unsure:

Maybe a picture of you will refresh my memory....

:goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy:

I would definitely buy Sebs... wouldn't even consider another brand.  I still would like to know though... Are "windowed" clutch covers ok for track use or does tech inspection frown on them? 

I just bought a 5th gen spare engine and it has a rashed clutch cover and I'm looking to make a track bike.

I don't know the answer to your question. However, I can make you a cover plate with an integrated slider that you can swap out for track use. I'd have to sit down and figure out the cost. I'm thinking it should be straightforward to make and therefore reasonable in price. Flat circle with bolt pattern and a delrin slider?

The thing that put the brakes on this idea for me was the expensive freight cost to/from Oz. So, just a thought...

Are you willing to send parts and some basic instructions "cut here, weld here" so I can get someone over here to install the parts? Smaller package and only shipping one way might get it across the line for me.

• Member Contributer

Get Rates & Transit Times

• Help
Use this simple tool to obtain a rate quote and determine the expected delivery date and time for your shipment. * Denotes required field Clear all fields spacer.gif 1. Ship From / To a_help_small.gif Help plus.gif Edit From: Melbourne city, 3000, Australia | To: Catskill, 12414, United States on January 18, 2014. spacer.gifspacer.gif 2. Package and Shipment Details a_help_small.gif Help plus.gif Edit Package Details: 1 package, 8.0 kgs, Your Packaging, 0.00 AUD. spacer.gif

3. Rates and Transit Times a_help_small.gif Help spacer.gifspacer.gif Amounts are shown in AUD Select Delivery Date/Time Service Rates Delivery date unavailable FedEx International Priority®398.21 Delivery date unavailable FedEx International Economy®309.97 More information about your results:

• Important for Customs: To prevent delays, your shipment must have the following customs documents attached: Commercial Invoice, Certificate of Origin, Shipper's Export Declaration. Additional clearance documents may also be required. For more information, please visit our international tools site.
  • For countries where zip/postal code or city name can be entered, it is recommended that zip/postal code be entered to obtain a more accurate number of available services.
  • Pickup is not available from the origin city or zip/postal code entered. However, dropoff may be available. Please contactCustomer Service for dropoff or other shipping options that may be available.
FedEx measurement tools currency_converter_gray_new.gif Currency Converter

Wow redonkulous !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Seb can be happy.....

the final design is different from his

pricing will be close his too :goofy:

TIG lovers donot like glue..

Gerhard will launch his modification service this weekend at a German VFR meeting.

Price for the work (on a cover you need to supply) -if ordered through his direct site- Euro 195.

Milling the cover, affixing base ring, gasket, outer ring, window.

The window parts anodised silver or black, same for the bolts, silver or black

Red or blue bolts will be extra....

Archived