2010 Vfr - Not The Right Bike For Me?

Guest davew2040

Guest davew2040

I apologize for the somewhat long-winded post, but I'm trying to get a feel for whether my 2010 VFR1200F is really the right bike for me, and if not, what might fit me better.

I started out riding about three years ago, and bought a 2007 Yamaha R6. I liked that pretty well, but then got a good deal on a CBR1000RR, which I did not find to be appreciably different except when I wanted to rocketship off at highway speeds. I ultimately determined that what I wanted was something with a more comfortable riding position that I could ride around town or on short- to medium-length trips, so I sold off both of my sportbikes and picked up a Yamaha FZ6R. Actually not a bad bike at all and felt pretty great getting around town, very manueverable and a comfortable power band at low speeds. But when it came down to it, it was just too much of a step down in power, which I started to miss once I got above around 50 mph.

So... I bought a used 2010 VFR1200F.

I have to say that so far I'm really regretting it.

There are a few things that really bug me. The previous owner installed these custom handlebars (probably Helibars?) and a windscreen. The handlebars are risen up so far that the windscreen mount hits the engine kill switch and turns the fucking bike off whenever I pull all the way to the left. It's mostly irritating, because I probably would never do that outside of just walking the bike around in a parking lot or out of my garage, but if it did happen while making a U-turn or something I could definitely be in a situation where the bike fell over and put me on the hook for expensive repairs. On a more dangerous note, the brake lever has a tendency to just... stick. Causing the bike to brake suddenly the moment that power is disengaged from the wheels.

I can probably remove the custom handlebars and fix these problems. No idea why anybody would do this to their bike, though.

The bigger issue has to do with the engine feel and ride quality. Right now, I have to say this bike just feels like shit around town. The power feels very jumpy, like it goes from lugging to racing in no time flat. Once it hits around 4,000 or 5,000 rpm it "wakes up", which I guess means it starts to feel like a starship entering warp or something. That's not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you're looking for, but this seems to be accompanied by a fair amount of vibration and just general noisiness. And it happens pretty much all the time when I'm just riding around busy streets at 35-45mph. It's usually accompanied by a sort of unpleasant vibration in said custom handlebars as well.

The bike is very comfortable to ride on the highway, and it definitely looks awesome. I've also read about fixing the issue with the engine tune on 1st and 2nd gear, which might resolve some of the shitty feeling at low speeds.

But when it comes down to it, what I really want is a bike that's comfortable to ride in traffic and on roads where I can't go much more than 60 mph. I definitely wanted to have more available power than I had on the FZ6R, but if I had to pick one set of characteristics, I'd pick a comfortable ride at street speeds over the ability to rocket down the highway at 145.

Should I invest more money in fixing the VFR1200F for my needs, or should I look into something else? I've always been a fan of Yamaha, and I've heard good things about both the FZ1 and FZ8, which both break the 100hp mark and aren't particularly heavy. I've also heard good things about the Ninja 1000 and the Triumph Street Triple.

I hope my expectations make sense; I'm just looking to find something that I can *mostly* just get around local roads with, but still have a little more than the 75hp afforded by the FZ6R. Either for easier highway riding or for smoother riding with a passenger.

• Member Contributer

Since you seem to not have a problem with trading bikes, I would ditch the VFR1200...there are too many things wrong about it, and it is clear you are not in love with it. You need to give yourself and anyone who's opinion you are requesting more information. Do you want to go on longer trips (tour). If you do, then you need to get a bike that you can easily carry hard or soft luggage. What is your height, weight, and are you willing to improve your riding skills with instruction (this will enhance your happiness with almost any bike)? What types of roads do you enjoy riding the most? What type of riding position (body) do you enjoy the most? Etc...

• Member Contributer

I second 2thdr's point that more info would help, but based on what you've said so far I think you would not be totally happy with any of the VFRs. I have a 5th gen and love it, but it is heavy, and compared to an R6 or CBR1000RR would feel sluggish. Changing sprockets will help but it will still be heavier than any of the bikes you said you enjoyed.

Have you considered the Ninja 1000? 125 HP, 500 lbs, comfortable ergos, and lots of good reviews. Also available with ABS. I think some people have said that it is what the new VFR should have been, and the more I look into it the more I tend to agree.

Anyway, I hope you find something that suits you.

• Member Contributer

I think that maybe you got someone else's problem, I have a 2010 (manual) and absolutely love it. No vibrations at all, ride's around town or anywhere else great :cool: Since you already own it, why not try and fix the issues that you know about and then go from there. It should be easy to get the Stock parts and put them on. I have disabled the PAIR system and it seems to be smoother off idle. There are quite a few folks on hear that have had great luck with theirs. I'm sure they will chime in.

If the bike is right for you... Only you can answer that one. For me, I've had three VFR's (two sixth gens and my current 7th gen) I would not go back. It truly is a wonderful bike, if it's running right! Maybe your FI system is out of sync...

Well, to provide a little more info, I'm 6'3" and about 210lb, so one of my big issues with sportbikes was that my knees felt like they were up around my chest and my hands ended up being way too close together on the handlebars. I don't mind the VFR riding position, but I'm starting to think that if I removed the too-tall handlebars to fix the kill switch problem, the lower handlebars would feel too low.

In terms of rider skill, I've been riding for a pretty long time and I think I'm pretty solid, definitely not a pro racer or anything. I'd rate myself around a 6 or 7 out of 10. I do find that the clutch engagement pull is a little on the tight side.

I really liked the riding position on the FZ6R and in retrospect maybe I should go back to something more like that if I determine that the VFR isn't what I want. The Ninja 1000 seems very popular, and if I really feel like spending all my money, then a BMW K1300S would be pretty fantastic. I'm just actually surprised that I'm not having better luck with the VFR though. It just feels like there's a pretty small range between 3k and 4k rpm where the ride is comfortable for cruising, and anything lower it lugs and anything higher it feels like it's ready to take off. More vibration than I'm used to at any engine speed above 3k rpm, at least as far as basic riding goes.

What is this PAIR system? :/

• Member Contributer

The FZ1 and bikes like it will have less fairing protection so that means more wind. I'm about your height (1" shorter) and close to same weight and you'll find big compromises there if you switch.

1. Whomever you bought the thing f'd up the helibar install. Mine are installed and they don't bang fairings, hit switches or anything else. That is a bad install. That is probably what also jacked up your brake lever. Either way, all fixable.

2. Fueling is your issue. Two products will fix that. The Z bomb will alleviate the 1st/2nd gear thing then I'd mount a power commander 5 and tune it.

All your problems will go away with these mods.

I have never, ever, bought a bike, and had it 100% how I want stock, never, and never will. A few adjustments make them perfect. Once EPA regulations have to be met, the fueling goes to shit in my opinion and I don't like any bike I've owned until I've tuned it. YMMV.

The pair system is a fresh air system that injects air into the exhaust to burn off unused gasoline. It's for emissions. And it's something I have removed on every bike I've owned to get it to fuel 100% perfect.

You probably won't ever buy a bike that you jump on and say "this is perfect, it needs nothing", ever. Small adjustments (farkles) are always needed to suit our weight, or height, or preference. And I have never bought a bike where I could set sag for my weight without having to change springs.

Welcome to modern bike ownership. Fix the things I listed before you sell it and make a mistake.

• Member Contributer

It's the Smog crap that's on our bikes, there's a member on here... I think his name is Phobe, he has a nice write up about it.

Once I removed it, my bike seems to run smoother, i'm sure after I get the ECU flashed, it will be better still.

Here's the post:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/62596-vfr1200-pair-removal/

• Member Contributer

The FZ1 and bikes like it will have less fairing protection so that means more wind. I'm about your height (1" shorter) and close to same weight and you'll find big compromises there if you switch.

1. Whomever you bought the thing f'd up the helibar install. Mine are installed and they don't bang fairings, hit switches or anything else. That is a bad install. That is probably what also jacked up your brake lever. Either way, all fixable.

2. Fueling is your issue. Two products will fix that. The Z bomb will alleviate the 1st/2nd gear thing then I'd mount a power commander 5 and tune it.

All your problems will go away with these mods.

I have never, ever, bought a bike, and had it 100% how I want stock, never, and never will. A few adjustments make them perfect. Once EPA regulations have to be met, the fueling goes to shit in my opinion and I don't like any bike I've owned until I've tuned it. YMMV.

The pair system is a fresh air system that injects air into the exhaust to burn off unused gasoline. It's for emissions. And it's something I have removed on every bike I've owned to get it to fuel 100% perfect.

You probably won't ever buy a bike that you jump on and say "this is perfect, it needs nothing", ever. Small adjustments (farkles) are always needed to suit our weight, or height, or preference. And I have never bought a bike where I could set sag for my weight without having to change springs.

Welcome to modern bike ownership. Fix the things I listed before you sell it and make a mistake.

I mostly agree...but my CB1R seems perfect to me right out of the box. Of course the first owner (the first 1200 miles) put on a Yosh carbon fiber 3/4 catless exhaust. All the ergos and fueling are bang on for me...

The Heli bar install on bikes can be a bit confusing if you haven't done it before. The stock clip-ons have a tab that locks into the factory triple tree (part the forks bolt onto).

If you don't move the heli bars to the correct location (if you just eye ball it) you could have them rotated too far forward. So easy fix is to just loosen the helibars and rotate them back a touch. Again no tabs to line up so you'd need a stock clip on to figure out the location or just loosen them slightly (enough to move with force but not easily) and rotate back them just enough to clear that shut off switch. Should fix that issue. (make sure you the bars don't hit hte tank when you turn from side to side) before tightening.

I rode a FZ6 and agree its a nice bike. I have a friend whom went from a R6 to an R1 to and FZ1. He likes the FZ1 but it isn't perfect. (As I completely agree with the previous post that no bike is).

I like the pull on the CBR1k for warp highway speeds or the VFR800 for general cruising around. I haven't ridden a VFR 1200 yet.

So my point is the heli-bar fix is easy enough.

I'd recommend you tackle the easy stuff first on the VFR before getting rid of it and buying aftermarket parts and such.

So sync throttle bodies (or starter valves) if possible on the 1200.

Also, check your air filter and clean it. Might cause problems you aren't aware off.

Check throttle cable adjustment.

Also check preload on the suspension. Get to a suspension expert and have it tuned to your weight. (its like 30 bucks or less)

Also check other general maintenance items.

You might just find something out of adjustment that helps with the rpm surging and such.

Other than that searching this forum will give you some ideas of what issues are fixable and what isn't on the seventh generation.

Good luck

• Member Contributer

So sync throttle bodies (or starter valves) if possible on the 1200. 

Also, check your air filter and clean it.  Might cause problems you aren't aware off. 

Check throttle cable adjustment. 

Also check preload on the suspension.  Get to a suspension expert and have it tuned to your weight.  (its like 30 bucks or less)

Also check other general maintenance items. 

You might just find something out of adjustment that helps with the rpm surging and such. 

Good luck

Here is where the problem starts. The 1200 is throttle by wire. No adjustments can be made to anything concerning the throttle or throttle bodies. Only option is to re-flash the computer or throw a power commander on it. I have done the pc and it helped but the on off throttle surge at 35 and the jerkiness at really low speeds is still there. That is a pain in traffic and parking lots. My wife is currently on an fz6 and the throttle response is as smooth as a babies a$$. I have not touched the fueling on that bike at all. I have had many VFR's over the years and loved the fact that I could tune and adjust the bikes. What can i say, I like to tinker with my bikes. No longer the case with the 1200.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Forum CEO

Well you can get the dohicky that tricks the bike into thinking its in 3rd gear when its really in 2nd and 1st, that removed the surging at low rpm for me, and a Leo Vince slipon helps too.

However I am in the same boat, in the sweepers shes fun, not great but fun, in the tight twisties not fun, on bumpy roads it sucks and in town its a nightmare. I hate commuting on this thing, the huge wieght, the heavy clutch just not much for any type of stop and go. I did not ride it much this summer at all really, just dont much feel like riding it. I have however been all over my scooter - to and from work mostly but around town its the preferred mode of transportation.

I must admit I just dont have much skill to overcome the shortcomings of this bike, I can ride it well enough to enjoy it alone but in groups I get left behind, when with the caliper of riders I know. I used to be able to keep up for the most part on my old bike but feel I can't even come close on the veefalo.

I have actually thought of getting rid of her but I am sure I would have a mutiny on my hands if I did, since well this forum bought it for me, most of it anyway after I was ran off the road on "the old girl" and she got totalled. That bike was perfect for me, I wasnt afraid to crash it, I did not have to pay through the nose to insure it, It was all beat up, who cared it had almost 150k miles on it! The veefalo the paint is nice and I am so afraid I am going to mess it up, worry about it getting stolen on long trips, and then when I am riding it alone I enjoy it, but feel I am holding people up with groups.

Some days I am fast on it, some days are epic on her, but those days are far and few between rides. When I first get on her its like an alien for at least and hour. Then I feel comfy after that. AND I have chicken strips, never had those on the old bike!

• Member Contributer

Well you can get the dohicky that tricks the bike into thinking its in 3rd gear when its really in 2nd and 1st, that removed the surging at low rpm for me, and a Leo Vince slipon helps too.

However I am in the same boat, in the sweepers shes fun, not great but fun, in the tight twisties not fun, on bumpy roads it sucks and in town its a nightmare. I hate commuting on this thing, the huge wieght, the heavy clutch just not much for any type of stop and go. I did not ride it much this summer at all really, just dont much feel like riding it. I have however been all over my scooter - to and from work mostly but around town its the preferred mode of transportation.

I must admit I just dont have much skill to overcome the shortcomings of this bike, I can ride it well enough to enjoy it alone but in groups I get left behind, when with the caliper of riders I know. I used to be able to keep up for the most part on my old bike but feel I can't even come close on the veefalo.

I have actually thought of getting rid of her but I am sure I would have a mutiny on my hands if I did, since well this forum bought it for me, most of it anyway after I was ran off the road on "the old girl" and she got totalled. That bike was perfect for me, I wasnt afraid to crash it, I did not have to pay through the nose to insure it, It was all beat up, who cared it had almost 150k miles on it! The veefalo the paint is nice and I am so afraid I am going to mess it up, worry about it getting stolen on long trips, and then when I am riding it alone I enjoy it, but feel I am holding people up with groups.

Some days I am fast on it, some days are epic on her, but those days are far and few between rides. When I first get on her its like an alien for at least and hour. Then I feel comfy after that. AND I have chicken strips, never had those on the old bike!

HS, my thoughts exactly. I love this bike on the highway. I did find that I could ride her pretty well while in Arkansas with the guys. It just took a lot of work in the really tight stuff. I really don't enjoy her for commuting due to the lack of smoothness. My 98 was smooth as silk. I could idle that bike in 1st gear and just put along with no trouble. I am having the same thoughts as you about letting Smurfette go. I will decide soon. If I do I think I will just throw the money I get out of her on my 6th Gen and get it finished and still have enough money to get a cheap interim bike until Annie is done. A shameless plug but if anyone is looking for a fairly well equipped 2012 with about 1600 miles on it let me know :ph34r: .

• Member Contributer

Mine handles great and the complaints I'm reading I can't really say that applies to me. I've been railing on the thing all summer scraping boots. I'm actually quite impressed with it for the heavy son of a bitch it is. Once I get going the weight disappears and it handles surprisingly well. No plans to get rid of mine unless finances dictate that I must sell one.

I plan on completely redoing the suspension over the winter, raising the rear up 20mm with a link from Thurn and flashing the ECU, cutting out the cat, and tuning it. Should be a beast once all the restrictions are removed and it can breathe like it should. There isn't another bike like it on the market, not a do it all anyways. My only complaint if I could find one is that I'd prefer a 90 degree lump for aural reasons.

• Member Contributer

I feel the same as Leanit... I love this bike, and know it has much more potential. I just changed the air filter and removed the backfire screen and removed the pair system and it already runs better. Can't wait until i can get it Flashed.

This bike has the best brakes, I have ever seen, plus great acceleration, In any gear...1,2,3... If you roll on the throttle, not snap it open. There is a delay when it's whacked open, must be the Fly by wire... Which should be removed after the ECU flash... We shall see.

As for the Cat, I'm not sure that will do anything, however, I do have the "Dam" Exhaust, which is very nice and throaty, with great flow.

hi ,sorry to hear you are having these problems with your bike , i am having similar problems with mine , are the helibars on the correct sides? , if not -swap them over and they should be ok,. the surging from the engine( mine takes off like a two-stroke)is predictable as is the vibration around 5000 rpm,disconnecting the flapper valve on the exhaust will make it sound fantastic and the low speed jumpiness on the throttle takes some finessing add to this the raw edged power -to me,adds up to a quirky brilliant bike with lots of character --- if however you want a comfortable bike with lots of power that is refined , handles well is smooth as silk ,is happy to go to the mall or to the ends of the earth without a problem - try a blackbird , i ran one for 9 years and can highly recommend them .

• Member Contributer

Being a contributor to your Veefalo, I for one would say ride whatever you want. It would be a sad day when you put your apprehension about this forum's collective opinion ahead of riding a bike you feel passionate about. I have wondered about how you felt about having a bike selected for you, right from the beginning. Why don't you trade it for another gen VFR and put the difference into your pocket?

Being a contributor to your Veefalo, I for one would say ride whatever you want.

+1....sell the Veefalo and buy what make you happy HS. After owning it a few years now, you have given it a fair shot.

• Member Contributer

Sometimes you have to move on, ( to another bike) thats just the way it is. I came from a 2010 C14 I bought in 2011. I put on 7600 miles in one riding season......then gave up on it....traded the C14 in on my new leftover 2010 VFR DCT in the spring of 2012. I disliked the C14 very much, but just love the VFR. For me the VFR can tour,and when I get into the twisty bits, it makes me grin in my helmet. This VFR is a keeper for me. I plan on getting it decated,with a Leo Vince slip on,getting rid of the servo motor,and getting the front and rear suspension done. Yep I love this VFR. The only bike out there that might make me get rid of the VFR is the MOTUS.

Being a contributor to your Veefalo, I for one would say ride whatever you want. It would be a sad day when you put your apprehension about this forum's collective opinion ahead of riding a bike you feel passionate about. I have wondered about how you felt about having a bike selected for you, right from the beginning. Why don't you trade it for another gen VFR and put the difference into your pocket?

Last thing you want to do - when picking a bike - is to pay too much credence to what others say about a particular bike. Everybody's perception, and frame of reference, is different. A rider that is used to big tourers or, gulp, cruisers will feel very differently about the VFR1200, than somebody that is used to riding litre sports and supersports.

Especially on a bike that suffers from an identity crisis like the VFR1200, you should ONLY trust your own judgement and your own test drive impressions. NO disrespect to any other VFR1200 owner, but quite a few of what have been written online about this bike I have a hard time agreeing to. I'm sure there are those who feel the same about what I say.

For me, the VFR1200 was a direct replacement for a C14 and feels far sportier in comparison. I have no problem riding it at paces that are very close to the litre sports I've ridden. That said, it definitely is heavier and less agile, but that trade-off buys a whole lot of comfort and luggage capacity. You just have to decide if those compromises fit your style of riding.

Good luck. I went through exactly 10 bike in the past 3yrs, so don't feel too bad if this one ain't it. Get over it, move on, and go find fault in yet another bike.

Also, you might also consider whether the root of your problem is not that a particular bike doesn't fit you well. For a lot of riders, myself included, it is simply impossible for any one bike to cover all the styles of riding the rider enjoys doing. So we end up owning more than one bike.

It's a shame that Honda has not been 100% successful at getting the fueling right on the vfr. I know there are emission issues to think about but ride a zx1400r or a busa/bking and it's clear that glitch free fueling is possible. Those bikes are mega powerful but have such smooth fueling they are fun to ride everywhere, smooth and easy.

• Member Contributer

Bikes are different things to different people. I am getting older and slower, and we have no twisties around, and the 1200 is fine for me. It is not the slickest commuter in stop and go, but I still would rather ride it than the car.

I spent 65 on Bazzaz Z-Bomb for the first and second gear issues, 290 for a Z-Fi (like power commander) for the fueling, Got a double bubble windscreen, new slip on exhaust with a nice growl, grip warmers, front fender extender, K and N filter, TecSpec tank grippers, cox radiator protector. I got a tuner to take it on the Dyno for 3 hours and work as much of the weird mapping out of it that he could, and I am really enjoying it now. I have not done the PAIR removal at this point, I may next year, but need to ride it to someone's house and drink beer and watch them do it. For the cash, the Z-Bomb and the tank grippers have given me the most joy per dollar. Close behind is the PC and the dyno time.

I would check the heli-bar install, someone has installed them wrong or rotated them. If you swap them out for stock bars, you will be able to sell the Heli's someone.

Archived