2010 Vfr - Not The Right Bike For Me?

Guest davew2040

• Member Contributer

Miguel, you have my blessing to sell your bike and get one that you want...

Honda should take notice though, there are many die-hard VFR fans who feel that the VFR1200, while a good bike with lots of potential, misses the target. Some of these people are actually the ones who pulled the trigger and bought one...

• Member Contributer

I find it strange, that while the 6th gen was out, many of us complained about the very thing that Honda fixed for us with the VFR1200... We wanted more power... 1237cc now, we wanted better brakes... We now got em... We wanted to get rid of the VTEC... Honda did and it doesn't weigh much more than my 6th gen (2006 ABS)... I for one am very happy with my 1200 and wouldn't want anything else.... Well maybe a Ducati M/S... :goofy: but that's another story.

I think that maybe, sometime in our lives we had a bike that we absolutely Loved... And we are all looking for that feeling again, but with age and wisdom, our feelings and needs change and that same bike wouldn't be the same today. So find what works for you and move on. I have what I need and want at the moment but that might change too.

About two years ago, I started to get bored and wasn't riding my 2006 VFR much except to work and I didn't enjoy riding it as much. So I sold it, only to realize it was just time for a change, then about a year ago I found my 1200 down in Hunnington Beach as a leftover and a great price. The rest is history, and it has been a good one ever since.

• Member Contributer

I find it strange, that while the 6th gen was out, many of us complained about the very thing that Honda fixed for us with the VFR1200... We wanted more power... 1237cc now, we wanted better brakes... We now got em... We wanted to get rid of the VTEC... Honda did and it doesn't weigh much more than my 6th gen (2006 ABS)... I for one am very happy with my 1200 and wouldn't want anything else.... Well maybe a Ducati M/S... :goofy: but that's another story.

I think that maybe, sometime in our lives we had a bike that we absolutely Loved... And we are all looking for that feeling again, but with age and wisdom, our feelings and needs change and that same bike wouldn't be the same today. So find what works for you and move on. I have what I need and want at the moment but that might change too.

About two years ago, I started to get bored and wasn't riding my 2006 VFR much except to work and I didn't enjoy riding it as much. So I sold it, only to realize it was just time for a change, then about a year ago I found my 1200 down in Hunnington Beach as a leftover and a great price. The rest is history, and it has been a good one ever since.

I hear what you are saying, but are you assuming that all of us that rode say, a 6th gen VFR and loved it, are somehow not being true to ourselves if we don't still ride a VFR? I found that while I miss some things about my 6th gen (like the pulse from the V4), I discovered that the CB1000R fits me so much better. I didn't realize how much effort I was putting into pushing my VFR through the tight stuff. In sweepers, no problem, but the comparison between these two bikes ( 6th gen VFR vs. CB1000R) in the tight stuff is like night and day for me. I didn't realize how effortless riding fast could be! And yes, I can do some light touring with a soft bag set up from SW Motech.

• Member Contributer

If the shoe doesn't fit don't wear it. Not much is going to bring that same pleasure as your 5th gen, considering all the time and work you put into it over the many years. Keep the scooter for around town and save your sport tires for whatever tickles your fancy.

• Member Contributer

As for the Cat, I'm not sure that will do anything, however, I do have the "Dam" Exhaust, which is very nice and throaty, with great flow.

It will do something. You are uncorking the exhaust system. The UK members (2) who have done it say it's outstanding now. I can't wait. 165-170 RWHP and 90 ft lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

I feel the same as Leanit... I love this bike, and know it has much more potential. I just changed the air filter and removed the backfire screen and removed the pair system and it already runs better. Can't wait until i can get it Flashed.

This bike has the best brakes, I have ever seen, plus great acceleration, In any gear...1,2,3... If you roll on the throttle, not snap it open. There is a delay when it's whacked open, must be the Fly by wire... Which should be removed after the ECU flash... We shall see.

As for the Cat, I'm not sure that will do anything, however, I do have the "Dam" Exhaust, which is very nice and throaty, with great flow.

Sorry bud, but the biggest restriction on the VFR1200, power wise, is the exhaust system, and the CAT is the biggest restriction.

• Member Contributer

I have actually thought of getting rid of her but I am sure I would have a mutiny on my hands if I did, since well this forum bought it for me, most of it anyway after I was ran off the road on "the old girl" and she got totalled. That bike was perfect for me, I wasnt afraid to crash it, I did not have to pay through the nose to insure it, It was all beat up, who cared it had almost 150k miles on it!

I agree with those who suggested you sell, move on and get what's right for you.

• Member Contributer

It will do something. You are uncorking the exhaust system. The UK members (2) who have done it say it's outstanding now. I can't wait. 165-170 RWHP and 90 ft lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have actually done 3 manifolds up to now, Sanemancured has done one, and another member has done one also, I am in the process of doing a part exchange De-Cated exhaust manifold, for the VFR1200F and the FD, I can allso fit a [boss for Autotune 1200f only] I need to have a FD model bike to see if I can fit a Boss in, as there is very little room.

• Member Contributer

Not ready for heavier, more power and better handling yes, but not more lb's.

And yes I help you buy the Veefalo but I would not want you to keep it if your not happy with it. Sale it and buy another 5th gen, you have my blessing, if it matter's.

• Member Contributer

There seems to be a need other than power for some of the 1200 owners..

The extra BHP and Torque is great, but, the whole point of this exercise was to improve low speed fueling and smoothness of the V4 motor, on average you get a 18bhp gain, and a lovely wide torque band.

img058_zps5371f860.jpg

• Member Contributer

I find it strange, that while the 6th gen was out, many of us complained about the very thing that Honda fixed for us with the VFR1200... We wanted more power... 1237cc now, we wanted better brakes... We now got em... We wanted to get rid of the VTEC... Honda did and it doesn't weigh much more than my 6th gen (2006 ABS)...

The 7th generation weighs 50 pounds more than the 6th generation. I rode them back to back for a month until I sold my 6th generation and the 6th is definitely more agile but the 7th generation hides its weight pretty well on the move...

Did you know that hp and torque lines always cross at 5252 rpm?

The extra BHP and Torque is great, but, the whole point of this exercise was to improve low speed fueling and smoothness of the V4 motor, on average you get a 18bhp gain, and a lovely wide torque band.

img058_zps5371f860.jpg

rankmaniac2012-40.gif

• Member Contributer

Did you know that hp and torque lines always cross at 5252 rpm?

img058_zps5371f860.jpg

rankmaniac2012-40.gif

That's because one is calculated from the other...it's not measured.

Sounds like you need to get yourself a 3-4 gen.

they were the most powerful/lightest of the VFR's - and really straight forward. No Vtec, no ABS... none of that.

they are mechanically timed engines (very low maintenance, like the later models as well) and carbureted - makes upgrades and tinkering with them easy..

I'm 6' 2" and comfortable on my 93 to boot - rode it from Toronto to LA and back - or around a couple years ago, and would do it again a blink of an eye..

some say that the 94-97 gets 100hp or so, but I'm skeptical that its anything near that at the rear wheel, but regardless the 87 Hp at the rear wheel or whatever it is, has the potential to shoot you off the back of the seat, if you're not careful, and a properly tuned bike is just a darling in the city.

not too heavy, not super light that its twitchy, predictable in power delivery.. and on the highway there is this wonderful moment around 7000-8000rpm (on mine) where you go into warp speed.. or at least it feels that way. I guess in order to take advantage of its speed you need a track anyhow, unless you want to risk your licence/health/life etc... (not saying that I haven't checked to see if it will go over 130mph, and I can report that it will, but then logic kicks in, testicles shrink and I promptly slow down).

In as far as the looks go, the 91-93 seems to be the most "classic" in its styling, as it looks like a muscle bike from the 90's as opposed to the 'insect' like bikes that most later VFR's and ALL other bikes started looking like...

another advantage is that for what you sell your 1200 you can buy a mint shape 91-97, and have enough money left over to buy another bike! you can get a super sport, or a full on tourer, adventure tourer etc... that way you have some variety.. but you'll soon find that the VFR will end up being your go to.. unless you get a BMW R1100s... which is a very amazing all arounder as well..

good luck!

update us with what you come up with..

cheers!

• Member Contributer

I feel the same as Leanit... I love this bike, and know it has much more potential. I just changed the air filter and removed the backfire screen and removed the pair system and it already runs better. Can't wait until i can get it Flashed.

This bike has the best brakes, I have ever seen, plus great acceleration, In any gear...1,2,3... If you roll on the throttle, not snap it open. There is a delay when it's whacked open, must be the Fly by wire... Which should be removed after the ECU flash... We shall see.

Sorry bud, but the biggest restriction on the VFR1200, power wise, is the exhaust system, and the CAT is the biggest restriction.

Are you one of the guys that gutted yours??

I was told that the cat was a free flowing design... Is that not correct?

• Member Contributer

Exactly, power is never an issue with the 1200. It has great power, great brakes, beautiful detailing and it's comfortable. No matter how smartly it's managed, the weight hurts it though. Add bad throttle response things add up. People here (in Turkey) who bought the 1200 are now selling them, because they saw that this bike isn't easy to handle on a day to day basis. Many people would like to use their bikes to commute or travel to relatively short distances where they can still come across traffic. And the VFR1200 doesn't put up a good show in these conditions. People are instead drawn to other bikes such as big adventure machines which give more accessible performance in an easier to use more comfortable packages. The second hand 1200s aren't big sellers in the secondhand market either. Yes, you can add/remove stuff to make it better, but this is black art for many people, so they choose not to disable pair valves, add FI modules and such (the Honda dealer once here refused to adjust my 6th generation's starter valves because I'd disabled the PAIR!!!!!) ...

• Member Contributer

He did gut his and has a thread on it with lots of pictures.

He is saying that the cat is the biggest restriction on the bike. We will need to cut it off and weld in a new piece of stainless steel since no full systems are available for this bike.

• Member Contributer

Here you go.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/73798-dynojet-pcv-autotune-de-cat/

Hey if its not right, than its not right.

Im 5'8" about 145 lbs and this bike is a beast. ive got a long inseam so have no issues flat footing it. ive been on fast rides with my buddies with 'busas, gone one on fast rides with my buddies with 600 SS's and toured with the thing (while riding with the above mentioned guys on SS's)

yes she sucks in the tight stuff, (try mt greylock autoroad in northen MA loaded down with all 3 bags full of stuff) but 10 minutes later I was back to railing corners with my friends on the super sports. the power is awesome, the practicality of locking hard luggae is awesome. id LOVE to buy a friends RSV1000R but I know that its going to suck not having luggage. the V12 does a lot of things really well. and for me that works for me.

I brought a left over 2010 this july with 186 miles and have just over 7K on it. my only gripes are the low speed fueling that you mentioned, but it can be fixed im just being a cheap ass and waiting till winter.

Archived