Oh No, Not Another Low Budget Naked Build

• Member Contributer

Time to put our collective heads together, boys and girls. As some of you may have heard, thanks to some unintentional body work, my right side now looks like:

post-24428-0-34958200-1379093542.jpg

No bueno. Now while I'm not eager to shell out serious greenbacks to get here looking nice again, I am eager to go riding and not have the fairings ziptied on. So I stripped off her fairings, left, right, and chin. Now I'm left with the center cowl (which isn't pretty) and the tail.

This is where you come in. What ideas do you have to make the bike look decent until I can restore her to her former glory? Figure a budget of $100. Ideas like painting the coolant overflow tank black with an indicator strip on the back is right down my alley. I've already bought some bar end mirrors (that I can always put on something else if I don't like 'em), and some bullet blinkers. I'm planning on replacing the front cowl with a steel subframe to hold the headlight in place, unless you have a better idea.

I know you may be tempted, but this is not an opportunity for a front end swap, custom exhaust, or new tail build (although I have been contemplating nixing the cannards in the back). I will not be buying a custom digital instrument panel or aftermarket headlights for a SF.

I am moving forward with the idea that when I find the fairings, the bike will be back to stock-ish.

One last thing. I'll try and find the pic, but these is a huge black canister toward the front right of the motor. Almost looks like an oil filter for a diesel truck. Is that some kinda smog breather filter I can get rid of?

• Member Contributer

One last thing. I'll try and find the pic, but these is a huge black canister toward the front right of the motor. Almost looks like an oil filter for a diesel truck. Is that some kinda smog breather filter I can get rid of?

That's your California-spec bike indicator, aka, charcoal cannister. Yes, you can remove it and all of the vacuum lines connected to it, but I cannot remember what needs to be plugged and whan needs to be left open... I believe I removed mine at the same time I removed the PAIR valves and plumbing, and blocked-off the EGR ports on the cylinder heads. My recollection is that everything gets plugged-up (use those colred vinyl vacuum caps from Autozone/Pep Boys), except the vacuum port on the bottom of the tank (not to be confused with the larger overflow hose) and the large-diameter angled vacuum port between the two rear carbs:

0283.jpg

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Spending a couple of hours and $100 isn't a waste to me. it's the way to apologize to my bike, and to mend our relationship. And "modifying" is such a stong word. . . I'm thinking more rattlecan and dress up. I may remove the PAIR, but doing so seems to cause more problems than it's worth. That CA canister is on the to-go list.

The front cowl is going to cost some coin to replace, the time is worth it to have a decent looking ride till then.

• Member Contributer

I've got a right mid and right lower fairing for sale but they are both Pearl White color and have a few scratches but otherwise good condition with no broken tabs. PM if interested.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I may remove the PAIR, but doing so seems to cause more problems than it's worth. That CA canister is on the to-go list.

what? WHAT??? :huh:

PM sent for this and more... :wheel:

• Member Contributer

As promised, additional pics included, Sorry about the flash, it sends to distort things a little bit,

This is the better side:

post-24428-0-99191100-1379127382.jpg

The not better side:

post-24428-0-02552900-1379127440.jpg

Close up:

post-24428-0-87872500-1379127453.jpg

Thank you all for the input.

• Member Contributer

Each picture in Playboy is photoshopped, so you are forgiven for using flash to make her shine....

;-)

• Member Contributer

Spending a couple of hours and $100 isn't a waste to me. it's the way to apologize to my bike, and to mend our relationship. And "modifying" is such a stong word. . . I'm thinking more rattlecan and dress up. I may remove the PAIR, but doing so seems to cause more problems than it's worth. That CA canister is on the to-go list.

The front cowl is going to cost some coin to replace, the time is worth it to have a decent looking ride till then.

For 20 bucks (ABS cement and Cardinal Red Rustoleum), you may be able to restore enough of the top fairing to re-install the right turn indicator. Also, there are some mirrors in my photo gallery..do let me know if you think they might fit.

• Member Contributer

Ladies and gentlemen, we have progress! Pics to come tomorrow, but the rashed front cowl is now replaced with aluminum. It's still rough, but looks now like a project instead of mistake. Its amazing what a couple of hours and scrap Al can do. And my bar end mirrors came in today. I'm not sure how long I'll use them for, they may end up repurposed on another project.

Ed, I may take you up on your offer. I want to see how the ones I got work out.

• Member Contributer

Again, sorry about the crappy flash pics. My time today kinda ran away from me. It's all rough, and will still take some work. The front cowl does black a little too much air from the radiator around town, and I forgot how spoiled I was with the touring screen. I really like how the bar end mirrors look, although I have no idea how well they work. At this point, as long as it looks like a project instead of a mistake, I'm happy. And I know it's all mental, but she feels really light!

post-24428-0-67484100-1379301655.jpg

post-24428-0-47303200-1379301661.jpg

post-24428-0-10917300-1379301650.jpg

post-24428-0-48262100-1379301666.jpg

• Member Contributer

Restoration on the original front cowl is coming. This is just so I can ride around and not get laughed at too much. The look is growing on me. I think the Nike Swoosh may get revised to not curl up at some point in the future. The look I'm going for is influenced by the Duc 900SS/CR. Not just like it, obviously, but similar/

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

It's an evolution, but this is my bikes current state. I'm sure it's more mental than anything else, but she seems lighter and more nimble.

post-24428-0-90934700-1381692958.jpg

Archived