Alternative Ram Mount System

• Member Contributer

Got mine installed on my 5th Gen. Really like it! Superb workmanship and super solid fit. Plus it looks like an OEM part. Thanks huntinggunns!

Glad you like it. OEM look is what I was going for and I agree, it looks like we got it nailed down.

Just got back from 3000 km trip with this RAM mount, an iPhone and GPS. Worked great, very stable, keeps stuff off the bars, which I like! Here are some pics of the set up. Thanks Huntingguns

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the design has shown it's long term durability. I have had mine on for over a year now and once the rubber rawl nut seats to the inside of the steering stem, it won't budge.

I need one asap for my 7th gen.. Huntinggunns, do you have a unit available? Please advise.

Jim

Hey, any more of these on the radar? My tank mount resulted in a rubbed spot on the tank when I use the a camera so I'd prefer to move it to the stem. Thanks!

PM's sent.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Have you guys found any secure mount that works with Galaxy Note 3, besides the RAM XL? It already fell out of that one, not risking it again...

Ram makes an X-grip. It won't move.

I'd skip the xgrip unless you enjoy replacing your phone... this setup works well.... easy to rotate too..

$5 fleabay Note 3 phone case / cradle

$(KGrHqN,!qcFJkgK2q5NBS,,KsNB)g~~60_12.J

Snap off belp clip, add 3M dual lock strips (it's basically velcro on steroids) and connect to Fleabay $8 Ram Mount RAM-B-111BU 6.25" x 2" Universal Electronics Base with 1" Ball. Then use the Gas tank bolts with RAM 1" ball and Composite 1" Double Socket Arm....

ram-111bu.jpg

Hooking up power is a snap... tie wrap this semi waterproof USB ports (fleabay $15) behind and below the mount...

$_12.JPG

I also drilled a small hole in bottom of $5 phone cradle to slip power cord through.... see pic

post-30875-0-39935600-1409336510.jpg

post-30875-0-74595700-1409362375.jpg

post-30875-0-56576000-1409362557.jpg

• 5 months later...

I just received and mounted my custom mount from Fred (huntinggunns) and it is a very well made and well thought out unit. It is rock solid and unobtrusive and looks great also. to top it off Fred shipped it right away and I had it in a couple of days. Thanks so much Fred

Fred's handiwork is superb. Solid mount and very sturdy.

BTW, have 2 RAM Xgrip on 2 different bikes for going on the 3rd yr. Bumpy roads, high speed, etc., absolutely rock solid. The rubber "feet" add some vibration isolation too. I do have Otterbox Commuter case on my Samsung S4, now S5.

• Member Contributer

Try a PM to Fred at huntingguns. He probably has a few made up and if not would be able to give you a forecast. I have two of his units and they perform as advertised.

• Member Contributer

Fred's handiwork is superb. Solid mount and very sturdy.

BTW, have 2 RAM Xgrip on 2 different bikes for going on the 3rd yr. Bumpy roads, high speed, etc., absolutely rock solid. The rubber "feet" add some vibration isolation too. I do have Otterbox Commuter case on my Samsung S4, now S5.

Same here. I think maybe some people don't know how to insert their phone in it if they are having problems.

Same here. I think maybe some people don't know how to insert their phone in it if they are having problems.

Probably. Here's a slight mod that I liked a lot... I found some adhesive-backed foam and cut it to fit on the "face" of the X-grip. This does 3 things:

1. Gives addition vibration isolation to the phone

2. Keeps the hard plastic from digging into the back of my phone/cover

3. Props the phone a btt farther out, into the meatier parts of the rubber "feet", for better grip and a bit more vibe isolation

post-23836-0-17569700-1424801839.jpg

BTW, I believe Fred (huntingguns) might have sold his VFR1200, so he may not check this subforum regularly. PM him if you are interested in his mount.

• Member Contributer

I've been using a Ram X mount for years with my iPhones (my new giant iPhone 6+ just fits) and I've never had an issue.

Also, found a stem mount machined from metal. The ball on top is a little smooth (and not grippy rubber) but other than that, it's perfect. Much more solid than the rubber ones...

- Dan

Got mine installed on my 5th Gen. Really like it! Superb workmanship and super solid fit. Plus it looks like an OEM part. Thanks huntinggunns!

Glad you like it. OEM look is what I was going for and I agree, it looks like we got it nailed down.

Just got back from 3000 km trip with this RAM mount, an iPhone and GPS. Worked great, very stable, keeps stuff off the bars, which I like! Here are some pics of the set up. Thanks Huntingguns

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the design has shown it's long term durability. I have had mine on for over a year now and once the rubber rawl nut seats to the inside of the steering stem, it won't budge.

I need one asap for my 7th gen.. Huntinggunns, do you have a unit available? Please advise.

Jim

Hey, any more of these on the radar? My tank mount resulted in a rubbed spot on the tank when I use the a camera so I'd prefer to move it to the stem. Thanks!

PM's sent.

Eventually I will buy one of those from Hunting guns, I want the chrome cap, hope he still has one when Im ready.

my KTM is getting all my free money at the moment

• Member Contributer

Sorry guys, have not been on here in a while. A good friend talked me into doing track days and that has been taking up most of my time getting stuff ready for that. Anyway, I do have enough parts left to make a few more mounts with the exception of the RAM balls. If there is enough interest I will order some balls and fab up a few more. I have caps for the 4/5/6/8th gen and also the 7th gen on hand. PM is the best way to get in touch with me. Thanks for the support.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fred

Thank you so much for your RAM mounts for my 5th and 7th gens. The 7th gen is so much better than the original RAM, I would recommend your product to anyone.

cheers

Simon

• Member Contributer

Hi Fred

Thank you so much for your RAM mounts for my 5th and 7th gens. The 7th gen is so much better than the original RAM, I would recommend your product to anyone.

cheers

Simon

Glad you like them Simon. Post a pic of your set up if you get a chance. Thanks again.

huntingguns RAM Mount with my GPS cradle

huntingguns RAM Mount

Received my new RAM mount today. Very pleased with how snug it fits. There's a shot with my GPS cradle here, too, but I am considering either getting a new GPS with Bluetooth or using my phone. Thanks, Fred. It'll get lots of use.

• Member Contributer

Hotshoe, where did you get the carbon effect stem cover please?

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a new 7th Gen & 1st farkle was Fred's mount. This thing works great, fits well, and looks very good! Thanks again Fred!!!

post-7050-0-69235100-1430687311.jpg

post-7050-0-62081100-1430687336.jpg

post-7050-0-22920900-1430687359.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just picked up a new 7th Gen & 1st farkle was Fred's mount. This thing works great, fits well, and looks very good! Thanks again Fred!!!

Honored that my mount was your first farkle. Glad you liked it.

Archived