Alternative Ram Mount System

• Member Contributer

Sorry guys, I haven't forgot about you. Fed ex shows the ram balls, lol, being delivered on Monday. I will post all the final information and pictures then.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Ok, here is the final product, not sure what to name them yet. This was just a simple idea that I had that seemed to work really well. I really didn't think there would be that much interest in it. So, I am going to do these on a limited basis just as a service for VFRD members that want a good mount that looks decent on their bikes. I have spoke with HS and if there is enough interest I will post them up in the Bargain finder section, still on a limited basis. I have to have time to ride you know and I make these in my spare time after work.

Here is the breakdown of the labor involved to make these. The first step is to machine the step washers for the unit. Next is to modify the Ram ball and the OEM steering stem cap. Total time from start to finish is 2 1/2 to 3 hours for a complete unit. All of the machine work is done by hand on a small mini lathe so it takes a while to cut the washers and modify the Ram ball to get the correct dimensions.

Installation only takes a couple of minutes and a beverage of your choice. 1st clean the steering stem hole with brake cleaner and make sure it is completely dry. Insert the mount and make sure you feel a slight drag of the Rawl nut as you install it. If not, slide the mount back out and tighten the Rawl nut a little at a time until you feel a slight drag while inserting the mount. Then push down on the mount while tightening the allen screw. Tighten the allen screw until you can not loosen the Ram ball itself by hand then tighten the bolt another turn or so. It will take a while for the Rawl nut to completely form to the steering stem tube so you may have to snug it up a little more later on. Over a period of time the Rawl nut will completely form to the steering stem tube and you will know when the bolt is as tight as it is going to get.

I hope I have answered any and all questions about these mounts. If not just PM me and I will answer you as soon as I can. I am open to shipping outside the US and will do that on a case by case basis.

Thanks, Fred

***EDIT*** I have re-designed the 4th/5th/6th/8th Gen mount to use to OEM black cap. Prices and complete details can be found on page 6, post number 59.

post-23180-0-40730600-1380576589.jpg

post-23180-0-50909400-1380576678.jpg

post-23180-0-00197500-1380576780.jpg

That is one nice piece. That is what RAM needs to have on their catalog. :fing02: Even though I've already got a stem mount on mine, I'm gonna move it to the Speedie.

Put me down for one please. I don't need it in a big hurry, so if you need to ship existing stock or the next batch to somebody else who have a more pressing need, just bump me down the list.

• Member Contributer

Ok guys, the first 3 are gone. Please give me at least a couple of weeks or so as the rawl nuts have to come from the UK and I would like to get a little feedback from the first 3 members that get these. I will have enough on the next run to get all the names on the current list taken care of. If you can't wait I completely understand. I forgot to add in the other post to let me know which version you want. They will interchange so if you have a 5th/6th Gen and prefer the cap being on the mount, just let me know.

Got mine in yesterday and took a few minutes to install it today. Quality and assembly of the parts is quite good. It is a very solid mount, I could probably use it to lift the moto!

I did notice that it leaves a slightly larger gap between the black cap and the triple tree than before, but you actually have to look to notice it and it doesn't bother me at all.

Overall I'm very happy with it :beer:

Pics of it mounted

null_zps7e568283.jpg

null_zps8664e25a.jpg

I'm planning to use it to hold either my phone or GPS, here it is with a x-grip for the phone.

null_zps60a8eb19.jpg

null_zps3e22a025.jpg

Thanks again huntinggunns!

I can't wait to get mine.

I have the RAM-Mount fork stem ball and it is is ugly and also offset and sits to close to the tank.

I tried and alternative which looked much better, but the ball is not rubberised and RAM stuff I mount on it would slip and move under vibration and bumps, so I went back to the other mount..

• Member Contributer

Got mine in yesterday and took a few minutes to install it today. Quality and assembly of the parts is quite good. It is a very solid mount, I could probably use it to lift the moto!

I did notice that it leaves a slightly larger gap between the black cap and the triple tree than before, but you actually have to look to notice it and it doesn't bother me at all.

Overall I'm very happy with it :beer:

Pics of it mounted

null_zps7e568283.jpg

null_zps8664e25a.jpg

I'm planning to use it to hold either my phone or GPS, here it is with a x-grip for the phone.

null_zps60a8eb19.jpg

null_zps3e22a025.jpg

Thanks again huntinggunns!

Thanks for the review and glad you like it. You are right about the gap. The cap on the mount sits .055 farther from the triple than it does without the mount. The reason for this is in order to keep the assembly from sucking down into the steering stem and crushing the plastic cap when tightening the mount down I had to machine a washer on the base piece. This is part of what makes the mount work with the OEM cap.

I can't wait to get mine.

I have the RAM-Mount fork stem ball and it is is ugly and also offset and sits to close to the tank.

I tried and alternative which looked much better, but the ball is not rubberised and RAM stuff I mount on it would slip and move under vibration and bumps, so I went back to the other mount..

Got some more parts ordered Clint, I should have some more ready in a couple of weeks.

4th gen???? ;-)

I don't have access to a 4th Gen to test it on Dutchy. If I can find someone local that has one I would be glad to try it. I am pretty sure it would but I would like to make sure first.

• Member Contributer

I see your ride is for sale, bummer...are you still going to make these for us guys on the list?

No worries on the mounts. I will continue to do these for VFRD members. I still have a 6th gen lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Finally mounted the ball. Very nice quality and build, I do not have anything to mount to it yet, but have all winter to find something!

post-72-0-31087600-1382719055.jpg

post-72-0-85783200-1382719079.jpg

Thanks Mr. Huntingguns! (hugs in a non-creepy hetero way)

• Member Contributer

Finally mounted the ball. Very nice quality and build, I do not have anything to mount to it yet, but have all winter to find something!

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

Thanks Mr. Huntingguns! (hugs in a non-creepy hetero way)

I accept the non-creepy hetero hug lol. Glad you like it. The supplier for the rawl nuts should have them in some time this week and then to me takes about another week. I ordered a bunch this time so it will take a while to run out again.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just some feedback for Fred and any of you members that might be straddling the fence. I got one of these from Fred in early Oct and with limited number of miles before weather got ugly, I found this mount to be as advertised. Following Freds' instructions, he had warned me that the mount might loosen up until everything "broke in" and I found this to be true. After retightening a few times the mount has become very stabile. I have been using it for a Garmin Nuvi and am very pleased with the results. Been riding VFRs for nearly 20 yrs. and finally know exactly how fast I am traveling!

Now I just need one of you guys to step up and lend me a GoPro (for an extended time) to see how it works with a little heavier load! :wink:

• Member Contributer

Dutchy, I have now had the ability to test the unit on a 4th gen. I think all the steering stems are the same on the VFR's as it is a perfect fit.

Again, sorry for the delay. Not trying to make excuses but life has been crap for a while. Trying to close on a piece of property, finishing up a long and tiring legal battle with the oil filed on a piece of property we own, medical problems with my mother in law that included a trip to Houston, and finally the Holiday seasons. I promise that I will have a batch of these finished up next week as I finally got a few days off.

post-23180-0-28235600-1388189332.jpg

post-23180-0-19344800-1388189403.jpg

post-23180-0-03551900-1388189466.jpg

post-23180-0-31301000-1388189532.jpg

Archived