Alternative Ram Mount System

• Member Contributer

I have tried a couple of different Ram mount systems for the 1200 and just wasn't satisfied with either one. 1 system would not stay tight and rotated constantly, the other system held tight but did not retain the OE steering stem cap and did not want to stay centered. So, I played around with an idea I had for a while and this is what I came up with. The key to this set up is the machined step washers. This unit will stay tight, won't rotate, stays centered, and retains the OE steering stem cap. The large machined step washer is a slip fit in the steering stem so it keeps the unit centered with the stem. The smaller machined step washer keeps the OE steering stem cap centered and from being crushed and split when the unit is tightened. The 2" well nut tightens down enough that the unit will not pull loose or rotate. I have 1 other unit that will be tested by another member next week, so I will let him give his opinion on it then. It will also fit a 5th Gen and 6th Gen as test fit on a local members bikes. What do you guys think of it?

post-23180-0-95449500-1375994938.jpg

post-23180-0-88374600-1375995067.jpg

post-23180-0-63435300-1375995134.jpg

post-23180-0-68625100-1375995208.jpg

post-23180-0-03451200-1375995299.jpg

post-23180-0-97839300-1375995446.jpg

post-23180-0-05086700-1375995534.jpg

post-23180-0-04127500-1375995632.jpg

post-23180-0-16801200-1375995705.jpg

post-23180-0-25714000-1375995801.jpg

post-23180-0-05430800-1375995875.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool...hope it works out for your tester. I enjoy tinkering/fabricating with my rides...especially when it works as well or better than whats available and costs substantially less.

• Member Contributer

Cool...hope it works out for your tester.   I enjoy tinkering/fabricating with my rides...especially when it works as well or better than whats available and costs substantially less.

Thanks glory, I think Jon will be happy with it. He and Gary gave me a few suggestions during the development stage and we even test fit it to Jon's 1200 and Gary's 5th and 6th gen before the final change was made. An engineer and a machinist are good people to know. I think it is the only set up I have seen that actually looks like it was made for the bike, not just something stuck on it. A lot of small changes to get to this point but it is done. If it works like it seems it will I might even make a small run for a few members. Hope to see you soon at the hog tie.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I did mine in the same spot but I used one of these Mountain Bike stem star nuts to hold it in. I has worked very well for a year now, only has came loose once but that was because I had not tightened it enough in the beginning. I believe that mine was a "1 version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-1-5-HEADSET-STEM-TOP-CAP-STAR-NUT-BOLT-4-MTB-BIKE-FORK-/400483121464

I'll try to post some pic's when I have time.

Nice work and very clean install.

I have a ram stem mount with the ball at 6 o'clock. It holds a 7" Samsung Galaxy tablet on a short arm just fine. Just got an 8" tablet that will takes its place. It doesn't move when I'm riding but mount/dismount of the big tablet can knock it off-center slightly. I can certainly see how yours would be better.

For other gadgets (cellphone, cupholders, etc.), I have a clutch housing bracket. I can add the same thing on the brake side if I want, but so far see no need for it.

• Member Contributer

I really like the idea of 'raising the ball' mount, but for different reasons.

On my 6th Gen, I have the base mounted to the gas tank bolts up front, where the stubby little ball and 7" Ram mount extender tend to rub the top of the tank.

I've got 2 wear marks there now. I'll have to loot at the assembly of mine, but would definitely be interested if your version will mount in the gas tank top location.

Otherwise, nicely done.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I have put about 1500 miles on this set up now and it has not budged. Not sure if Jon has mounted the hula girl yet so not sure how he is liking his :ph34r:. I will let him chime in when he gets a chance.

• Member Contributer

@huntinggunns:  Any update?  I like this much better than my RAM-MOUNT. 

I had to make an emergency run to Colorado and should be home late Sunday evening. I have enough parts left to make 3 mounts. I will figure out how much I have tied up in them when I get home and spin up 3 more sets of spacers. I will let you know when I get that done. These are all hand made so it takes a little time to do them. I am thinking of leaving the spacers and ball mount unpainted to give the choice of what, if any, type and color of paint you want to use on it. Let me know what you think.

Fred

I tried many iterations of GPS mount points on my sixth gen. One trial was an extended stem mount. I fabricated a bicycle-type stem mount.

8160284004_67cbf19882_c.jpg

This thing cinches up so tight that I could probably lift the motorcycle off the ground with it... It does not move.

But ultimately, I stole Didit's idea and mounted my GPS directly to my screen.... right where I always wanted it.

3725366770_014f5f4b30_z.jpg?zz=1

• Member Contributer

I'm interested in purchasing one of your custom ram mounts.

Is it a complete set up or do i have to modify my own forkstem cap?

Clint,

It is complete, ready to install. Just clean the steering stem hole really good with brake cleaner and a rag, insert the mount, and tighten it down. I am waiting for a few more Ram balls to be delivered. As soon as they are here I will machine those down and I will have a few sets ready to go.

I'm interested in purchasing one of your custom ram mounts.

Is it a complete set up or do i have to modify my own forkstem cap?

Clint,

It is complete, ready to install. Just clean the steering stem hole really good with brake cleaner and a rag, insert the mount, and tighten it down. I am waiting for a few more Ram balls to be delivered. As soon as they are here I will machine those down and I will have a few sets ready to go.

Put me down for one please - with shipping to 2170 Australia, let me know if you want a deposit.

• Member Contributer

I've toyed with Fred's mount a bit. This thing is serious!

Since I don't have any RAM compatible appliances, I'm working on making a Hula Girl that will fit on it. Should be an entertaining co-pilot in the twisties.

Archived