Alternative Ram Mount System

• Member Contributer

Not a big fan of my RAM mount mounted in the headstock as i find that when my phone/sat nav is mounted i have to look down slightly meaning you take your eyes off the road and slightly obscures the clocks. Done a slight mod this morning in prep for my long trip tomorrow. Drilled the fairing stay and installed two Rivnuts in it then bolted and Loctited it to that. Will get a longer arm next so that the phone sits further up and to the centre of the screen. Hopefully keep the rain of it a bit more, look a bit like a HUD.

post-30687-0-62196000-1431173889.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As everyone knows all good things must come to an end. For those of you that purchased one of these mounts I can honestly say, thank you very much and I hope that it is still serving you well. You own a one of a kind, limited production number mount. There are exactly 51 of these in existence. 49 of them are being used all over the world with 2 that are still in my hands that are going to be donated to Tony for whatever he deems them worthy of at Sum Sum. Due to the amount of machine work involved to make them and having to source the parts from numerous suppliers, the mounts were more expensive than what most people wanted to pay for a GPS mount, Also, they locked in very solid but if you twisted on them hard enough, you could loosen them up. You had to exert more force than any GPS could ever put on the mount to do that, but it still bothered me. At this time I will not be making these mounts any longer. Again, I thank all the VFRD members that purchased one of these mounts from me. However, for the folks that want a better and much more cost effective GPS mount than these, keep your eyes open on VFRD in the very near future.

Archived