1990 Running After 22+ Years

any know where I can pick up some replacement Dzus bolts for the middling fairings? I need 7 total (2 spares just in case) but I'm not going to spend $11.15 a piece at the dealership for just one of these. I did get the complete bolt kit off eBay but I don't want to drill out the existing rivets on these fairings and possibly break a tab off. I'd rather just get the actual Dzus bolts required.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

just got my package from kurveygirl. I ordered a complete set of 6 dzus bolts and clips and the bolts fit perfect. Now I just need the weather to warm up and clean out the garage to start work on the bike.

Perfect day to get out and work on the bike. I think it's coming out nice. I can't believe it hasn't looked like this in over 22 years! This is a trial fit of the fairings. They are really dirty, esp. the middle ones. I have to say the complete bolt kit is ok at best. It's definitely not a straight forward kit because there are different connections between the years 90-97. You have to use some extra washers in some areas to get the bolt to hold onto something.

I fired the bike up for the first time in 5 months. It took a little bit of cranking but it finally turned over and it runs! I hooked up all the electrical connections that I could see and the only light that works is the brake light. Its really bright. I think it's fully on like when you press on the brake. I don't have any headlight or turn signals. I need to check the fuses first then get the volt meter out to see if there is any power to the lights. If that's ok, it might be the bulbs, they are 24 years old. Slowly but surely it's coming together.

post-7615-0-98708100-1396832956.jpg

This bike is just meant to be back on the road. I went out to check the wiring, fuses look good just a little dirty. Checked all the wiring and found a couple connections not connected. I connected them and I have lights, turn signals, horn, high and low beam!!!! I just have to figure out why the brake light is on but I don't think that will be too big a deal. The important thing is that all the lights are good. On a down note, I cracked one of my headlight mounting tabs when sliding off the upper fairings. Back to the plastic welding.

Obvious place to look for the brake light issue is the spring switch on the footpeg brake lever assembly. Keep it coming!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, looks good. After all that work it will be good to get out and ride it, I'm sure.

Start easy, ride safe. :beer:

• Member Contributer

It's almost fully put together. I just have the two metal fairings below the foot brake pedal and it will be finished.

Well done that man ... looking good

• Member Contributer

Bravo, be proud. Anyone can walk into a dealer and ride away. Only us fools, um, guys, get the satisfaction of bringing a bike back from the dead and actually riding them. :wacko:

That looks really really well. Fair dues to you on such a good restoration of it all.

I know you said there was water after flooding in and the original engine had been flooded but I'd have loved to have seen if that'd have worked haha!

By the way, what did you do the carbs as regards the flooding? Did you dry them out and clean them or what?

The original carbs were so seized up and I would have to completely rebuild them and that would have cost too much. The one motor that I baught off eBay had carbs that looked in good shape so I just had the local shop rebuild them. The pictures below show two of the original carbs. I ended up salvaging what I could off these to have as extra parts and I junked the rest.

post-7615-0-73654500-1398871928.jpg

post-7615-0-71435900-1398871931.jpg

Found the electrical problem. It was with the foot brake switch. I unhooked the electrical connection, took off the lower spring and it all seemed ok. I reconnected it after adding some electric grease and noticed the brake light was not on! I manually pulled on the piston where the spring would go and the light came on as it should. Tried the front brake and that worked too! Looks like the foot brake was just too tight. I'm good to go now! I'll post pictures of it completed when the sun comes out and a proper cleaning and wax.

• Member Contributer

That's got to be a really satisfying project to bring back such a low mileage bike from the dead. Nicely done - it looks great.

that looks like mines twin. 1990 with 6400 miles hadn't been ridden since 1997. I will have it back together by the end of the week. I can hardly wait. Yours looks awesome.

Looks really good. :beer:

Hopefully I'll be riding it within a month.

A month?! Sounds like an eternity. :goofy:

Don't let that delay bite you on the first ride. Enjoy! :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Congrats on resurrecting her. Looks good as new. Always loved the red w/ white wheels.

Archived