1990 Running After 22+ Years

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy weekend for me. Just got my new MRA touring windscreen in the mail. I installed it and the new mirrors and I think it looks great. The screen is a little longer and definitely higher than stock. There is more wind noise but overall I'm happy with it. The mirrors look really good too. I'll post pictures up when the weather turns nice again.

• 1 year later...

So I have been enjoying my bike a lot this summer.  I've been adding up the miles even though they are mostly from commuting.  2.5 years ago, I started with just under 3700 miles and today I have almost 11000.  I noticed the other day that one of the upper and mid section fairing tab popped out of place.  I took off the mid fairing and put the two fairings back together.  I went out for a ride a couple days later and the same thing happened.  I decided to investigate more and come to find out, I have a lot of broken tabs!  All of this is from commuting.  I took all the front plastic off and I have a total of three tabs broken off, three different cracks and my headlight was only being held on with one tab!  I don't think my plastic welding worked too well on the headlight (improper prepping of plastic) since all the other parts that were plastic welded are still in tack.  The parts cracked/broke next to the previous crack that was welded. 

I decided not to fix the headlight and found one complete with the four tabs on eBay.  It will be here in a week.  It sucks that I can't ride this week because it's so nice, but there is still time left in the season to get out once the bike is back together.

Does anyone know how good the replacement fairings are from Airtech?  I see that they offer the fairings but you have to cut your own holes for the bolting, headlight and turn signals.  They also come in two parts so I'm sure fitting them would be difficult, esp. the lower/mid combo.  Plus you have to get them painted.  I thought about this option for the future since the original plastic is so hard to come by and after 26 years, they get brittle.  Ok, now for the pictures.

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

Wow, that's some fairing damage right there. Mine's got 26500 miles on it and no signs of any of that! Must be heat related as they do get brittle.

I'd highly recommend Plastex. It's like rock when it dries and can be shaved down to shape.

Plastex is great stuff and it is what I used to fix them all.  I'm just waiting for my new to me head light comes in so I can put it all back together.  Hopefully it will be here soon so I can get out and ride a couple more times. 

• Member Contributer

Nice!!!

And you still have the coveted side stand cover!!  :cheerleader:

Archived