1990 Running After 22+ Years

Looks great! I did a similar resurrection of mine, after storing it for 15 years, but the difference is mine hadn't been in water, so a simple rebuild of the carbs and fuel system later - she was back to life.
Recently I lent the bike to a friend (a girl :unsure: ) and she dropped it!
Anyways, no problem - only cosmetic and she was great about making sure she put me right. Now got most of the parts new, but getting the other side new too (I hope to.... Partzilla keeps delaying!).

Enjoy! :happy:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Today is the day. I finally got the bike on the road. My first ride was down to the shop for the inspection. All the guys loved the way it came out. Road it back to the house and there was a big smile on my face. After putting the kids to bed, I got a picture of myself going on a longer ride. When I got home, I have 29 miles total on it. I've got a real big smile on my face now! I can't wait to ride it again. It felt great being on it. I'm surprised how much get up and go there is in the higher gears. I experienced a little bit of everything on this ride, dry,wet and dirt roads, day and dusk riding and tons of bugs! Good thing for a face shield.

post-7615-0-12889000-1401760063.jpg

I finally went through my first tank of gas and i went 102 miles, the last 6 miles the fuel light was on. I calculated just over 31 mpg, does that sound right? Granted this gas was from last year with the sta-bil still in it. I filled up with 89 and put just over 3.2 gallons in, so I will see if i get any better mileage with this second tank. What does everyone else get in their third gen?

• Member Contributer

That works out 13 km per litre.... that is low, unless you do a lot of hi speed runs.

V4 Rosso has a 3rd gen (with a few dents in the tank). He got

236.jpg

from a full tank and then we had to pull over

Good thing there was a petrol station on the other side of the motorway's sound barrier

HPIM4865.jpg

We had been in Germany with no speed limit on the motorway...

I haven't done too much high speed running since I'm just getting used to the bike. I have taken it up to highway speeds a couple times but only for a few miles at a time. When putting it all together I did start it and let it idle for a while so that might have killed some of the gas mileage.

• Member Contributer

We were doing 70+mph on secundary roads and 120+mph on the motorway, so Icd say your mileage is low. Could your manual choke be stuck open?

But if she is runnung fine and unlike us are paying almost 2 dollars for a litre.... Keep smiling as you ride her!

• 2 weeks later...

Any further gas mileage calcs lately?

I just ran through my first "full tank" and refilled with 3.5 gallons at 127 miles. That's 36.3 mpg.

Not as good as I was expecting, and I get a "fuel-y" smell sometimes. Maybe I'm running way-rich. Dunno yet.

I finally went through my first tank of gas and i went 102 miles, the last 6 miles the fuel light was on. I calculated just over 31 mpg, does that sound right? Granted this gas was from last year with the sta-bil still in it. I filled up with 89 and put just over 3.2 gallons in, so I will see if i get any better mileage with this second tank. What does everyone else get in their third gen?

I've only taken it out once since filling it back up. I went for a 24 miles trip on Father's Day. Since then I've been out of the country on work so I won't be able to ride it for another three weeks. I might be running rich as well but I'll keep track of how many miles I can go and report back.

• 3 weeks later...

So for my second full tank I got just over 130 miles before the light came on. On the third tank I added 1.5 oz of Marvel mystery oil in and now I'm at 160 miles and the fuel light isn't on yet! Looks like the more I run it the better the gas mileage. I did 130 miles the other day and it was a blast. I'm really enjoying riding this bike.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Any updates, new pictures etc?

Anyone know where you can get a higher wind screen like the ones I see for the 94-98 models? I know zero gravity makes one for all the gen models but not the thrid gen.

I have a skidmarx double bubble. Can't recall from which vendor I purchased it from but it was someone in the UK.

http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/honda/20915-honda-vfr750f-l-p-90-93-double-bubble-screen.html

Skidmarx Double Bubble

I like that wind screen. I might have to check that out. As for any updates, I've got about 700 miles on the bike so far and getting over 48 mpg. I hope to hit the 50 mpg the more I run it. I got caught in a down pour the last time I was out on it. It was the first time riding in the rain.

• 3 months later...

It's a sad day because I finally had to put the bike away for the winter. I took it out one last time this past week when the temps hit the mid 60's. Came home, added some sta-bil to the tank, removed the battery, put the bike on the stand and covered her up till Spring. I put 1695 miles on it since Father's Day, pretty good for the first year really riding it. I was going to change the oil in it before I put it up for the winter but it looked like I just changed it when I checked. Do you think I should change the oil in it or just wait till Spring? This is the first year the motor really ran in over 8 years.

Until a couple weeks ago I hadn't been on VFRD for awhile, so this is probably the first time I've seen this thread. Just wanted to say congrats on finishing a fantastic job resurrecting that VFR! The average observer would never know the bike's unfortunate history, and I'm glad you took the time, effort, and expense to rebuild it. It looks like new, and is probably a good visual reminder to many people why they fell in love with the VFR in the first place.

As for the oil question, I have sometimes replaced oil and filter when I winterize, and other times I've waited until spring to do it at the same time I clean and recharge my K&N air filter. I prefer to do it while winterizing, but it kind of depends on how cold it is in the garage. :wink: With low miles on your current oil change you could just replace the oil and not the filter, which would save some time and money.

Overall, if the oil still looks fresh I'm sure it would be fine sitting for a few months. On the other hand, with all the amazing work you've put in this bike, what's an hour and a few bucks?

After my last ride, I added the stabilizer to the tank then took the bike back out to fill up the tank. After my 5-7 minute ride to the gas station I parked the bike. I don't have a heater in my garage so I'll probably just do the oil in the spring. I should look into getting some kind of heater.

You should run it a bit to get the fuel stabilizer actually into the carbs. Looks great man well done.

Drain the carbs dry, that's what I aways did.

And I mean undoing the drain screws on the float bowls, and emptying them that way.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

As a Christmas present for VFRD members, could we please get more photos of the finished product? There aren't many nearly new 1990's around these days . . . !

• 2 months later...

Archived