Stolen, Then Recovered

Yep, someone stole my new to me VFR from my work parking garage today. I've been parking motorcycles there for 6 years now and never have had anyone mess with them, but my luck ran out today.

A lot of people who ride to my work park in the same spot, its really a walkway from one level to another but it's wide enough for several motorcycles and nobody minds us parking there. So I was at work and the head security guy came in and told me someone stole my VFR today. Apparently, the security guard that patrols the parking garage noticed my motorcycle was gone earlier than usual, and that another one had been moved. So they looked at the security footage and figured it out. Two guys in a stolen truck lifted it into the back, damaging the fairings pretty badly in the process, and just drove off with it. Then, the local police saw a nice motorcycle in a shitty truck, laying on it's side and unsecured. They thought it was odd and lit the guys up. The thieves then tried to run but got the truck stuck in a yard and ran on foot. Unfortunately they escaped.

So I still have my VFR due to a few observant people, to whom I'm quite grateful. Tomorrow it's off to the dealer for repairs and I'm out some riding time and the insurance deductible.

Now to figure out a good way to secure it in the future...

The retrieval, I'm the big tall guy in white :cool:

null_zps793eeba2.jpg

null_zps2a8ca04a.jpg

null_zps56b3ecb4.jpg

null_zps9d37d1af.jpg

The damage

null_zps064ae08c.jpg

null_zpsa1431281.jpg

null_zps9150168f.jpg

null_zpse0c4a79b.jpg

null_zps6b6faae3.jpg

null_zps2ea9730c.jpg

null_zpsed9a0fa7.jpg

What kind of godless bastard does that? Man I hate theives. Now you get to come out of pocket for doing nothing wrong. Chin up, you'll be back out there on it in no time.

That sucks. No, wait. That rocks. Uh, actually I think it sucks. Very sorry to hear about it. Also sorry to hear those scumbags got away.

The one thing that stinks about having a great motorcycle, especially a newer one, is having to worry about douchebag thieves. I'm wondering if the arsehats that stole your motorcycle were amateurs, as VFRs are not usually theft targets like supersports are. I would say maybe they just had good taste, but I don't want to give the MF'ers that much credit. :angry:

I hope your deductible or other out-of-pocket expenses aren't too high. Good luck getting her back to 100% ASAP!

• Member Contributer

Very rare to have it stolen and recovered in the same day! Bitter-Sweet I guess.

• Member Contributer

Very sorry to hear. Dang thieves, I wish we could have 5 min in a close room with them when we're sure who they are...

This being said, it was found mechanically unmolested, which is nice. I see an opportunity for a clear clutch cover maybe? Good luck with the insurance.

C

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear.

Turn a negative into a positive. A perfect excuse to go black (2013) for the fairings or Blue.

For security I recommend a Scopio motorcycle alarm. Buy the most expensive one you can afford. I believe there is a new R Link system that has integrated GPS tracking a whole bunch of features (IIRC perhaps even smart phone control) but most of them have 2 way alarms which will deter thieves and alert your security personnel.

• Member Contributer

Secure your bike to a solid object, be it a ground anchor or a lamppost to stop the "lift&ride off" crew.

I never saw my K100RS again :-(

• Member Contributer

Speaking of the bright side, at least you know they didn't run around bouncing the engine off the rev limiter for a week.

Good deal getting the bike back with what appears to be only minor damage.

You are somewhat fortunate the a**holes didn't break your fork lock - that can be a real pain to get fixed. :angry:

Hope the LEOs catch them and they try to flee or resist arrest. :owned::beatdeadhorse:

You may want to consider an alarm and maybe a disk lock with a motion sensor. I have added both since I read the following thread on the VFRW forum:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/anything-goes/38549-confessions-motorcycle-thief.html

Hope you have good luck with the repairs, and hope you get it back in good shape and running well. :fing02:

Wow, did they drive off with the VFR just sitting on the sidestand in the bed??! If so, I am surprised it didn't just fly off the PU when they were evading the LEO.

Looks like it ended the best way it possibly could.

Stolen truck and then stole a motorcycle and got away from the police. thats three lucky things in one day. now the question is when will their luck run out.

Glad your bike was found and hopefully your insurance won't give you a hard time. Insurance companies are legal ponzi schemes when they want to be that is.

like stated before now you can get a clear clutch cover and other mods.

Mdange

• Member Contributer

How do two guys lift a VFR 1200 into a pickup? That sucker's heavy! By the shots of the neighborhood it ended up in it's pretty apparent that they had little to lose, and they probably would get some decent meals and clean bedding with a stint in jail. If the truck was legally registered they'll nab someone, especially if there are any security cameras where you work.

• Member Contributer

I can't wait until they try to steal from someone who has a mind to take appropriate action against low life like these $4its.

They have security patrols in the parking garage, not anyone stationed there though. It took the thieves 23 minutes from the time they drove in to the time they left to get the bike. I was just lucky the security guy, who also rides, noticed it was gone. Without their quick actions I would have lost about 5 hours before I even knew it was missing.

That picture was after I got there, it was originally laying on the left side against the truck bed. I was surprised they were able to just pick it up also, the police that chased them said they weren't big guys at all. From the looks of the scratches and broken mirror, I'm thinking they dropped it while getting it into the truck and that's what caused the right side damage. The worst fairing damage was on the left because that's where they leaned it against the truck.

Steering was still locked when I got there, so I guess I'm just lucky they didn't break that too.

Luckily the chase in the truck was short, they basically made one turn and then went into the yard about 1/4 mile after that. Could have been worse.

I'm thinking these guys were not the professional sort of thieves, it just seems like a cartoon version of a theft with no idea how to actually pull it off. Who just tosses a motorcycle in a stolen open bed truck and drives around for a few hours with it? And I don't know if they were planning to ride it, there was a helmet in the back of the truck with the bike. Thank god they didn't.

I have insurance with Allstate, so far they've been great. The agent I talked to today was surprised they found it at all. She said most stolen motorcycles aren't ever seen again. The adjuster will be out to the dealer probably Monday, hopefully have the parts on the way before that.

I'm out the $500 deductible for my efforts, but at least I don't have to sit and wait a few weeks waiting to see if they find it. $500 would have helped with getting the luggage though. I'm disappointed to be paying, but I'm trying to stay positive and just roll with it. Karma is a bitch and they'll get theirs.

• Member Contributer

I would see if your workplace would pick up the $500. Theft happened on their property. But I'm not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV. Or maybe they'll find one of them and you can sue for damages.

I'm with luvtoleanit, I think I would see what insurance gave me for the damage. If it ends up being $1,500 and then you take your $500 deductible out of that, you are left with a $1000 to get it painted whatever color you want. You could get a new paint job and not be out a dime.

• Member Contributer

Wow. Uber lucky there were so many attentive people doing the right thing.

As for security, get one of those wheel locks that has an alarm built into it. If someone tries to move your bike it goes off even if they lift it. An alarm in a parking garage is bound to attract even more attention. Of course these thieves don't seem the brightest of the bunch by trying to steal a bike in a stolen truck. :unsure:

What's good is the bike was retrieved before the thieves could have possibly started it and had their burnout joyrides on it which could do internal engine and drivetrain damage an insurance company might not look too hard to find as much as looking for exterior damage....

As or the cops not catching the running thieves (despite how they always seem to catch them easily in TV reality cop shows), I sometimes suspect that the officers had to make a decision during such incidents, whether it's really worth risking their lives chasing down possibly armed thieves if the stolen goods was already there to retrieve. I kinda understand that logic,.... but I'm also sometimes split about it as the crummy thieves had already done material and emotional damage to people they steal from and who will compensate for that damage fully??

I guess bottom line is, nobody was physically huirt because of the crime....

Good luck with fixing her back up for the road soon!

• Member Contributer

Regarding security, I think that the only deterrent is to put a cover on it and lock it TO something. Post, drainage, pipes, cement block, bicycle rack, etc. This way, it's much harder to just pick it up and take off. A disk lock does not hurt, but leaving with a bicycle rack or a cement block in the back of a pick up truck is much harder... Just my 2cents...

c

If somebody wants your stuff bad enough, no amount of security is going to stop the determined thief. All you are doing with any added deterrence is to make the potential thief pick an easier target.

There is a pimped out Dodge at work that always parks near where I park my bike. Its aftermarket alarm system is so sensitive (probably a shock sensor) that it will go off as soon as I start my bike, or when I roll close, engine at idle. That's not security... it's INSECURITY.

• Member Contributer

I would see if your workplace would pick up the $500. Theft happened on their property. But I'm not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV. Or maybe they'll find one of them and you can sue for damages.

This is a good thought. My wife had cash and credit cards stolen out of her purse at work. We got the cards cancelled and figured we'd have to eat the loss on the cash, but management reimbursed her.

My employer (hospital) isn't that generous, they'd rather spend millions of dollars on beautification and other stuff. They've been cutting our benefits and overtime a lot lately, and sure as hell won't be just giving me $500 when they aren't directly at fault. I asked my manager, just for kicks, and got a prompt "NO" back.

I think I actually signed something, that frees them from liability for personal property damage or theft, when I got hired. The patients we admit also sign a waiver like that too. I just wish they would give the staff secure parking like they do the MD's and other VIP's. You wouldn't see their cars parked out there with no security. Typical I guess, the plight of the working man :warranty:

Archived