Stolen, Then Recovered

• Member Contributer

Great you got your bike back but I gotta ask so how big and tall is bigtallguy on that VFR 1200? Maybe the white hospital gear makes you look bigger and taller than you are but just curious how big and tall you can be and still get on that bike? I can also see why the thieves may have waited until you vacated the vicinity. If my questions offend I apologize - just put it down to a Canadian thing.

• Member Contributer

I have a Gorilla 8070 on mine but after reading your story I still wonder if that is enough of a deterrent. Now looking at disk lock too. I guess it's only overkill until it gets stolen.

I think it's important not to gadget yourself into a false sense of security. Not to say they are not worthwhile investment. However, all the locks, alarms and lojacks in the world won't guarantee security if you don't practice vigilance. For example, if I am on my bike, I don't go into restaurants that I cannot sit within sight of my bike. If that rules out what I happen to crave that day, so be it. If I absolutely must go somewhere that I have to leave my vehicle out of sight for extended period of time, especially in a questionable area, I'd rather take my car that day.

If a device is "installed", it can be "uninstalled".

bigtallguy,

Isn't there a bike version of LoJack? If so, it probably would not be cheap but it might help in a worst case scenario.

It will not make you feel any better, but when I got my bike back it was about three feet long, and the thief only got ten months.

Good Luck,

LH

How do two guys lift a VFR 1200 into a pickup? That sucker's heavy! By the shots of the neighborhood it ended up in it's pretty apparent that they had little to lose, and they probably would get some decent meals and clean bedding with a stint in jail. If the truck was legally registered they'll nab someone, especially if there are any security cameras where you work.

Decent meals and bedding?

I'd have to say crack, crystal meth, etc.. Once they get their fix, I doubt they would give a crap about clean bedding

I hate stories like this, but unfortunately it happens a lot

bigtallguy,

Isn't there a bike version of LoJack? If so, it probably would not be cheap but it might help in a worst case scenario.

It will not make you feel any better, but when I got my bike back it was about three feet long, and the thief only got ten months.

Good Luck,

LH

There is, but they don't have coverage in MS. I've been looking at those Kryptonite chains and disc lock combos. They seem to be beefy enough to offer good deterrence, and I usually park near a cable railing that would be a good place to chain it up. Otherwise I'd just have to quit taking it to work, which isn't going to happen.

• 2 months later...

Finally got it back! That felt like it took forever (2 months and a week), I'm having to get used to it all over again. I nearly dropped it in my driveway because I'm used to the sv650 I've been riding around.

My employer moved the moto parking to a garage closer to the main hospital and security office after mine was taken. Should be more secure there from now on.

null_zps97f5fbe1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I can feel your pain. After 17 years on my 750 nitehawk and a year looking I got a sweet 94 vfr for 3000. Had it for a month, went riding for 6 hours on a Saturday and parked it in the shade in front of the house and forgot to put it away. Got up the next day, plan was to ride down to K.C.,someone else had a plan for the bike that they grabbed in the middle of the night. I only had liability on it and am out of luck . At this point I am afraid of what it would be like if I got it back. I'm back on the Night hawk you can imagine the step back in performance. I'm looking for another 4th or fifth generation in great shape at a great price. Damn I miss that ride.

• Member Contributer

Two months and a week!!!??? They must have sent it on the slow boat back to Japan for repairs! I might forget I owned something if it disappeard that long. Happy ending though. Congrats on your "new again" VFR.

Thanks! I definitely am lucky to be able to ride it again. It's all as it was now, like new :cool: It took 2 months to get some backordered parts, then a week to get a couple of parts they found needed replacing after that. I really did forget what it was like to ride it, especially since I only had it two weeks before it was nabbed!

As for security, I haven't really found something that jumps out to me. I like the rLink system from Scorpio, but I'd still have to go about getting the moto back and getting stuff fixed, just like I did this time. Also, that system costs $500, so basically my insurance deductible. I also like the regular two way pager type systems, but even if I get an alarm page while I'm working, I can't just run out and leave my patients nurse-less (they would all spontaneously die) so it probably won't help me anyways.

I've been looking at all kinds of chains and cables, also disc locks. I'm thinking the disc lock would be the best bang for my buck. Makes a racket, makes the bike harder to move, and is small and easy to carry around. That, and I'll keep the insurance, because if they really want it, they'll probably get it eventually and it saved me about $3K this time around.

• Member Contributer

Since your employer has given motorcycles a dedicated parking area, how about asking them to install a ground-anchored steel railing to secure your chain too?

• Member Contributer

yeah the disc thingie makes noise. Wrap a plastic bag around it, fill with pur foam (the stuff that expands and muffles the sound)

And 4 guys with 2 pieces of scaffolding pipe have your bike in a van in no time.

Been there, (they) done that, (they) got my K100RS....

I would also add a chain (did not have that on afre mentioned K100RS) and put that round a solid object OFF the ground. Off the ground so they cannot use a bolt cutter with one arm of the cutter on the ground and step on the other.

And get insurance to a level you can afford. Cos if they are committed and equipped enough they will steal it.

If your deductable is $1000 with a lower premium but you COULD afford to pay it, then go for the lower premium.

IMHO, only insure what you could not pay out your own pocket (ie healthcare)

She's back, go ride her!!

Archived