Keeping Up With Maintenance

Aegisranger

• Member Contributer

Since getting my ZX14 last month I have been switching back and forth between the bikes taking note of the differences. One thing that has bothered me is that my VFR seems to steer like a truck compared to the ZX. This is strange because I always liked the handling of the VFR. I didn't expect the ZX14 to be so much better.

Today I figured out why... my tire pressure! I had last checked my VFR tire pressure about 6 weeks ago when the weather was VERY COLD. I run my tires a bit lower pressure in the winter (32f, 36r) so they heat quicker and stay warm. Today my pressures were 26 Front and 29 Rear... no wonder it was steering like a truck. Pumped them up to 40f/42r and my VFR is back! Such a nice ride into work today...

I have to be more careful to not let anything like this slip past me again. I own 4 bikes and it's a lot of work to maintain them all... but it is fun.

• Member Contributer

Tire pressures sure do make a huge difference. My dad took his ST around the block and said how the suspension or steering was bad because it didn't feel right. 25psi in the front and back. Pump it back up to spec and it rode wonderful again.

I always check my tire pressures every time I take the bike out. Only takes another minute.

• Member Contributer

I ride almost every day and I've never checked the tire pressures daily, but I will be checking them more often... probably weekly when I clean the chain.

Me & a friend did a 200mi ride on Tuesday & before we left my house I noticed his tires were low, 24/14! I set them 36/42 like the sticker said & by the end of the ride he was thrilled how much better it felt.

• Member Contributer

I ride almost every day and I've never checked the tire pressures daily, but I will be checking them more often... probably weekly when I clean the chain.

I always give a quick thumb-push check to make sure I don't have a seriously low/flat tire before I get on the bike, but check with the gauge once a week.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Tire pressure and tire profile make a difference, and should go without saying, so does the rake/trail. When I had the PR2 on the front ('09 VFR800) the turn is was good and predictable and gave a lot of confidence, with the PP3 on the front, the turn in is just a step quicker and yet still confidence inspiring. Dropping the front down a few millimeters (raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps) will quicken the steering and shouldn't spoil the high speed stability. Not to throw in any more confusion in the mix but suspension setup also plays a part, having the right spring rate and pre-load can change a bikes "attitude". It's all very scientific, you did pass geometry and algebra in school right? :warranty:

Oh man.. this thread :goofy:

A week ago I decided to give her a clean, lubed the chain, filled the tank and tyres.

Turns out I had 22psi in the back and 17psi in the front.. I had guessed they were a bit low, but damn >.>

Filled them up to 32f/36b where I'd previously decided was a happy medium. Pulled back out of the driveway and it felt like I was sitting 2 inches higher up and it just wanted to fall over at the slightest touch.

Next day went for a trip over the local mountains and had some fun

• Member Contributer

I check mine most every ride. There is so much temperature variation here that it can affect pressures substantially...

The only problem is if I'm going to fire up the compressor I feel like I may as well air up all the tires.

3 MCs, 1 bicycle, 2 cages, and a 2 wheel hand truck, that's 20 tires. :dry:

• Member Contributer

The only problem is if I'm going to fire up the compressor I feel like I may as well air up all the tires.

Put your hands on a bicycle tire pump and you won't even think about those other 18 tires... yeah I've got compressor envy.

• Member Contributer

Put your hands on a bicycle tire pump and you won't even think about those other 18 tires... yeah I've got compressor envy.

My thoughts exactly! I only use the bicycle pump unless I'm planning on doing the cage tires as well. Takes about two minutes with the hand pump...

• Member Contributer

This got me thinking. I could never get the ideal gas law to work for tire pressure changes but according to Tire Rack there is a 1 psi change for each 10 degree F change in outside temperature and a loss of 1 psi each month. This could explain why my auto tire pressures were 5 psi low when temps here in MA when from mid 40's to single digits in the course of week.

• Member Contributer

Ambient air temps seem to affect my smaller volume MC tires more than the cage tires...

Physics was never really my strong suit...

Also check for any cupping, especially up front that might be getting bad. My last a pair of Dunlops made my bike handle like a nervous wooden ox cart when the cupping got bad on it and the bike's handling was totally restored after I replaced it with a set of Michelin PR2

• Member Contributer

Also check for any cupping, especially up front that might be getting bad. My last a pair of Dunlops made my bike handle like a nervous wooden ox cart when the cupping got bad on it and the bike's handling was totally restored after I replaced it with a set of Michelin PR2

I've noticed this same issue with the Q2s on viffergyrl's ST4. Close inspection of the tire revealed staggered cupping on the edges of the center grooves. Had this same issue with other tires on other bikes as well. Never an issue with the Pilot Powers on the front of the VFR or the Roads on the front of the RT. The Duc will be getting Michelins when the Dunlops are done which shouldn't be long. The Dunlops wear quickly compared to the amount of grip they provide.

Archived