Airplanes Are Really Big

YoshiHNS

My dad was stationed at Kelly AFB in San Antonio. Nothing compares to a C-5A taking off. Shook the entire building we lived in miles away from the air strip. Of course nothing stinks worse than a B-52 taking off. Smells like burning tires.

Ahh, the regular occurence of riding along on 90, and having one of those appear to be simply hanging in the sky, not moving.

They do so many touch-and-goes at Kelly that I wonder how long those tires last though.

Since there are 28 tires on them, longer than you think. C-5 actually has a "smaller" footprint than a C-17, and usually doesn't have as many ramp weight issues as the latter due to the modified tricycle gears. Also the new engines on the M-model C-5 make it quieter than a 17 or a 747...sad day :(

My dad was stationed at Kelly AFB in San Antonio. Nothing compares to a C-5A taking off. Shook the entire building we lived in miles away from the air strip. Of course nothing stinks worse than a B-52 taking off. Smells like burning tires.

Ahh, the regular occurence of riding along on 90, and having one of those appear to be simply hanging in the sky, not moving.

They do so many touch-and-goes at Kelly that I wonder how long those tires last though.

Since there are 28 tires on them, longer than you think. C-5 actually has a "smaller" footprint than a C-17, and usually doesn't have as many ramp weight issues as the latter due to the modified tricycle gears. Also the new engines on the M-model C-5 make it quieter than a 17 or a 747...sad day :(

Interesting, did not know that. (Obviously) It is still amusing when we have people from some place like Ft Sam that apparently has a lot of helicopters, and they get a bit startled when that howl appears overhead.

• Member Contributer

A buddy works at the cleveland NASA research center. Not sure of his exact position, but he seems to pretty much design and set up the wind tunnel tests. First thing he looked at was the back of the Boeing X-45. If you look really close, you'll see part of it is missing. They did testing on that part of it, and he said that it was better protected than the president, and no one was allowed to see it, even the wind tunnel operators.

• Member Contributer

Some weird stuff flies in and out of here at Kirtland AFB, where the Laser 747 was developed.

Love it when the V-22's are returning from Colorado.

I was down in Alamogordo, NM 2 weeks ago and saw a fligh of F-22's taking off. They would fly to the end of the air strip and then pull a hard G turn and climb leaving vapor trails off the wing tips. If I weren't driving at the time I would have pulled out my camera and snapped a bunch of shots but I am not sure how much Security would have liked that considering they also have(had?) a wing of F-111's stationed there.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to see the museum on the company dime. Spent an afternoon there, would like to go there again. Can we convince them to add a VFR wing? LOL

• Member Contributer

I was last summer visiting at Seattle and we spent a day in Boeing Museum of Flight. Very impressing in deed, I would recommend. They were still waiting to have the training model of the Space Shuttle there, but there was lot to see anyway. They have also few flying history planes scheduled to fly almost every day.

• Member Contributer

Since we are on a theme here. First two VFRDs who identify this Museum and Jet get a free ticket (one each). Sorry about the extra color :goofy:

med_gallery_2144_2760_398325.jpg

On the USS Midway

Link to the aircraft an A7 Corsair II

http://www.midwaysaircraft.org/Acft_sponsors/A7_sponsors.htm

I like the picture above better :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Nobody got a pic. of my pig of an aircraft?

f22_2.jpg

I've been working on it for about three years- I think tail #4 or something similar is located in that museum.

-Drew

One of my good friends flew (C block) F16s in the first gulf war... He has nothing good to say about the F22... I guess he's old school... The tech is awesome but man it's expencive!

Great thread. Every air museum I've been in has been good.

I would think that dr.toto has been to the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Museum. It is more "Space" than "Flight", but it has some of both.

If you are slogging across Kansas and looking to break up the "action", the Cosmosphere is well worth the time.

It has what might be the largest collection of Russian space artifacts in the United States. They have a ready-for-flight, backup Sputnik 1 spacecraft. They also have a large number of Russian space suits and a Vostok spacecraft.

They have the actual Apollo 13 Command Module (Odyssey) as well as Grissom's "Liberty Bell 7" Mercury capsule and a Gemini X capsule. They also built the building around a SR-71 and incorporate a life-size mock-up of the Shuttle "Enterpise".

http://www.cosmo.org/index.cfm

0816.jpg

03cosmosphere2.jpg

03cosmosphere3.jpg

img_0059.jpg

cosmo2.jpg

The Cosmosphere is located in Hutchinson in central Kansas. ..... a good location for a potential Kansas VFRD meet-up and lunch?

• Member Contributer

considering they also have(had?) a wing of F-111's stationed there.

You mean F-117's (and before that the F-15's) @ Holloman AFB

Closest AFB with F-111's was Cannon AFB (Clovis, NM).

F-15 unites at Holloman ceased in the early 90's where as the F-15's were replaced by the F-117's.

The Air Force retired the F-117 on 22 April 2008.

Currently the F22 is soaring the sky from HO AFB.

During August 2001 I was fortunate to visit the F-117's unit via a former 32TFS (Soesterberg AFB NL) F-15 pilot.

Very impressive air base by that time. The German AF still had their training facillity with the F-4F's and Tornado's, Tracor flew with QF-4 drones and of course the Stealth and its T-38's.

Refering to the topic title:

At Duxford Imperial War Museum (Uk) we are able to see some US hardware from upclose like the SR71, B52, U2, F-111 and more under 1 roof:

post-18104-0-56896900-1367708486.jpg

post-18104-0-41993300-1367708516.jpg

Archived