How do you clean your wheels?

CharlesW

• Member Contributer

The spoke area is a real PIA for me to clean on my 2004 and they only have 5 spokes.

How do you people clean your wheels without spending lots of time doing it?

I seem to have my best results with a spray on, rinse off cleaner, Suzuki Performance Motorcycle Wash, similar to S100, but I feel it does a better job. Also, the Hondabrite Total Cycle Cleaner seems to be rebranded S100 Total Cycle Cleaner at a higher price.

I like a clean bike, but I would much rather be riding as cleaning.

I usually clean mine once in awhile with unknown highly caustic chemicals at "free bike wash" stands - then I peel the rubber off and get it sandblasted and re-powder coated...... long story...... ;)

Now to answer your question - I've been using Lucas Slick Mist. Smells like bubble gum by the way. A few beer, a couple microfibre cloths and a few spritz of the Slick Mist and the rim comes out awesome. The stuff also works great on the fairings.

• Member Contributer

I ride in the rain.

^^^This.

Had my tires changed recently and was kinda pissed at the fingerprints in my schmutz-patina.

I figure eventually my wheels will be black... and cheaper than powdercoating!!!

Kidding, kidding... I clean my rims about 1 time a year and even then, only if its embarrassingly bad. I use dawn and a toothbrush. Takes a while, sure.

• Member Contributer

Own black rims or have them powdercoated black........

Now,

some boys&girls like their rim bleached,

but that is another story, a different web forum even........ :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

I was at the Carver household over the weekend and they have some cleaner made by Armor All that works great! (The lad has white powder coated wheels) I think it was this: http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=58&main_group=2&category_index=extcleaners but he actually had two different bottles with slightly different names that were about $1 difference in price despite looking like they were the same stuff.

Personally, I tend to ignore the stuff that I can't see while riding and only clean my mirrors, gauges, and screen on a regular basis.

• Member Contributer

It appears that many of you feel the same as me as to the importance of clean wheels. Clean or ride, ride wins without a doubt.

Glad I'm not alone in that regard.

I do occasionally wipe the chain lube fling off with some WD-40 and a rag.

The pictures seem to always show clean, almost immaculate wheels so I figured either I didn't know the secret or was just plain lazy. Since there doesn't seem to really be a secret, I guess lazy will work.

• Member Contributer

+1 on the WD40 when I do get to it. When it's time to really clean the rim and chain.

I'll spray the chain, sprocket and hub and wipe down thoroughly then do the same to the rim.

Then proceed with a gentle pressure wash, soap, rinse and finish with new lube on the chain.

Yes it's a chore, but for the 20 +\- minutes it actually takes, it's done maybe 2x a year and I have a clean rim and conscience.

• Member Contributer

I have white wheels, and they get dirty very quickly - mostly with break dust. I commute about 600 miles per week, and although I should be checking the bike over before every ride... I don't. I clean her up, check tire pressure and condition of the tires, etc on Saturday mornings. It takes me about 10 minutes to clean the wheels.

I use S100, a wheel brush, and lots of water to get them clean. I also spray water into the brake calipers and pads to get the dust out. When I get the wheels dry I coat them liberally with white paste wax and just leave the wax on. It really helps to have that coat of wax on there so next week's crud comes off easily.

• Member Contributer

You WD-40 guys...

Am I crazy thinking that screws with your tires? Do you just simply soap it off the tires afterwards?

I spray the WD-40 on a rag and then wipe the wheel with the rag. (Occasionally)

WD-40 seems to be as much of a solvent as anything so I try to keep it away from anything rubber, including the chain 'O' rings.

WD-40 being a solvent, I was always concerned it would remove the lube from the chain as well as the wheel.

I clean my 96 top to bottom every time before I take it out. It takes maybe 30 minutes. A couple microfibers and Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner And Polish. Spray it on ANY surface (not tires), let the grimy areas soak a bit, wipe and buff. I only use soap and water if I am really grimy. I also do my helmet, shield and sunglasses. I buy a half dozen cans at a time. ~$7 USD. Take it with me when i travel.

PS got 10k+miles on the vfr since last September. And headin for a week long trip this weekend.

I think it's the best. FYI. Formerly Pro Honda Cleaner & Polish.

Original Bike Sirita make some good chemicals.

You WD-40 guys...

Am I crazy thinking that screws with your tires? Do you just simply soap it off the tires afterwards?

Heck I actually mount tires with WD40 as tire lube, it works . It actually dries in very well

I should wash my bike. It's filthy! Guess my son and I have some work to do! I usually use Goo-Gone for the lube splatter (which is ALL over the swing arm and Wheel. Maybe I should lube first, ride, THEN wash? I dunnu. Am I over lubing the chain or is it normal to have al over the wheel? I dont use my chain guard either.

• Member Contributer

If I get the itch to clean my wheels, I go with the "honda polish" - orginal bike spirits cleaner and polish. Spray on, hit the extra grimey parts with a toothbrush, then wipe it down. If I feel really crazy, I'l hit it a 2nd time with Meguiars Tech Wax.

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products/spray-cleaner-polish/

• 2 weeks later...

Just cleaned my lube covered wheels last night....... kerosene is awesome! Wipe off before I wash the bike. Comes up like new!

A product called Oil Eater. Available at Costco in bulk. Spray it on the wheels, chain and anything else greasy,wash rest of the bike, then hose it off. I have a chain oiler, so it get messy fast. Don't really wash them much beyond that. Use something milder on the rest of the bike though. I have black wheels, so my main purpose is to keep the oil off everything.

BTW, it is also the best cleaner for RVs and boats. Takes the black streaks right off.

Archived