There is no denying this.

SEBSPEED

I am much harder on the left side of my tire. Pilot Power rear at 2100 miles. Should I flip it and run it for another few hundred miles?

4f12eafe.jpg

Rebound feathering will be taken care of very soon. Pretty sure the Ohlins is ready for a freshening up - will be that or a new Wilbers triple clicker going back in.

• Member Contributer

Are you running the NASCAR circuit? Seriously, why is that? Never seen one like that before.

Chuck

Left hand turns are longer than right hand turns so the tyre is going to wear more on the left(for those that drive on the right side of a road).

That's really different wear from left side to right.

I have to wonder why? It's not normal.

Is your bike frame bent? Are the roads steeply crowned and you mostly turn left for some reason?

Are you a terror in lefts, but a puss in the rights? :laugh:

OK, I doubt that one, but the wear pattern is not right. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

If you "flip" the tire, won't you be running the tread pattern the wrong direction?

Just my opinion, but I think you are ready for a new tire.

• Member Contributer

Of course slow speed is COMPLETELY different than high speed, but consider this. When I took my MSF RiderCoach (instructor) course we were told that 90% of riders preferred left hand corners to right. This was after we had been practicing the "figure-8" or as we called it "the box" in which you perform two u-turns, one left hand and one right hand. All eight of us hand more difficulty with the right hand.

Seb is this a trick question, most don't notice the effect road camber (camber is slight slope built into road surface to run water off to edges) has on tyres in AUS the right side of tyre wears more because we ride/drive other side of road to US which LHS tyre would wear more, or you were just doing donuts :-)

No donuts. Tire is worn to the edges on both sides, just way more pronounced on the left. The far left side of the tire is into the wear bars and on the right I still have 1/16"or so. I really hammer down out of left handers, I just enjoy it and I'm not too concerned about the fast wear rate.

b5ea33ad.jpg

Fun per gallon, not miles per gallon! :smile:

Roy I expected a lecture about rebound tuning from you! lol

If you "flip" the tire, won't you be running the tread pattern the wrong direction?

Yes, but, I don't think it will matter for a few hundred miles? The tread is just here for traction in less than perfect(real world) conditions. It's about the compound, not the tread that's why racers run slicks.

I have a new tire on the way.

• Member Contributer

Less throttle on L exits, and more on R.

I'll take half your advice and just work more on the right. :tongue:

Great response. Wish I had a picture of Matt's power after TMAC this year. Was almost perfectly treadless.

KEB

• Member Contributer

>>> Road Crown <<< As you said, your tires are worn to the edges on both sides which indicates that you lean just as far each direction when cornering hard. But as Monk pointed out, all left hand corners/curves are longer for those of us in countries that ride on the right hand side of the road plus road crown is also constant source of increased wear in curves or straight roads. Bikes in countries that ride on the left side of the road will see more wear to the right side of the tire simply due to road crown.

Yes, but, I don't think it will matter for a few hundred miles? The tread is just here for traction in less than perfect(real world) conditions. It's about the compound, not the tread that's why racers run slicks.

If matters for 1 mile, then it matters for 100 miles right? Unless you happen to know when you're going to need "real world" traction, and if you do, I suggest you just don't ride that day and go buy some lottery tickets instead.

• Member Contributer

Na just straight burn outs.....

a66492c7.jpg

We had a company sponsored ride last weekend, spoke to a few collegue riders who'd never seen a tire smoke.

Soooooooooooooooooooo :tongue:

Guest Recalcitrance

The right side of my tires get worn down more than the left. I'm out here in the city and 99% of onramps and off ramps are right handers.Since I'm a daily commuter, these numbers matter. Sad.

Not sure how it is out in the country but from the guys are saying, makes sense. I'll say though that my uneven tire wear never gets as obvious as yours. :huh: You've been riding for a while now. Is this normal for you?

Be safe out there, and I also would not recommend flipping it.

• Member Contributer

Track day folks flip the tires all the time. Tread pattern is only an issue in the wet.

Track day folks flip the tires all the time. Tread pattern is only an issue in the wet.

Thanks for that.

I ended up stuck with my truck for a few days, so I didn't get to flip the tire before the new one came. Coulda been interesting, maybe next time...

There's no denying that fresh rubber looks tasty!!

5ceb4003.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you set a bike straight up on a heavily crowned road, you will see that the contact patch is still pretty much in the center of the tire. The crown in a road isn't steep enough to wear anything but the center of the tire, maybe a millimeter or two off center at most. The only two things that will make it wear heavier to the left side is the longer distance traveled on left handers while in countries that drive on the right side, or the fact that most people in right side countries are more comfortable hammering left hand turns than righties. Most people in the USA are more comfortable in left handers. I'm more comfortable in right handers and my tires show more wear on the right side. I wonder if it's cause I'm left handed? :huh:

• Member Contributer

My tires also wear out in a manner consistent with Seb's Photo. I always just assumed it was attributed to road crown, longer distance travelled on a left turn, and my just being more comfortable in a left hand turn. Another possible reason why the wear is so lopsided : I do NOT want to whack my head on a mailbox. Ride safe, Dave

There's no denying that fresh rubber looks tasty!!

Much better, mm mm good. :laugh:

Next to the new tire, in that pic at least, the old tire looks fully toasted.

Never mind one side versus the other. :rolleyes:

New is good. :beer:

Archived