Suspension pin spanner/wrench. What the!

Guest Larrakin

Guest Larrakin

Okay, when recently buying my '06 sixth gen found bike did not have OEM tool kit which was kept by a bigger tool; the original owner.

As such trying to adjust suspension to suit my fat arse I have run into difficulty. I am trying to adjust the rear spring preload but found it impossible without the pin spanner. Have been to 6 different chain stores for parts etc and none have a clue what I'm talking about. Can someone who has one of these blasted things please show me a photo of the size etc so I have something to show monkeys behind the desk. Alternatively if anyone knows where to find said tool I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Yours in frustration :-/

Larrakin ;-)

You mean a 'C' spanner & there usually pretty much universal on Jap bikes (cheap, thin & POS), but the one for the VFR is a bit different (naturally).

Since your in Siddiny, I'd be looking at bike wreckers http://www.sydneymotorcyclewreckers.com.au/ in Alexandria & http://www.motorcyclewreckers.com/ at Silverwater, but their are a lot more wreckers in the Sydney area, hit the Yellow Pages. And even the MCAS (motorcycle supermarket) at Parramattata (Paramatta) may have them.

There is also an aussie based VFR forum which could help.

• Member Contributer

and if you are carefull/desperate/cheap, use a flat screwdriver and mallet......

:ph34r:

• Member Contributer

I was able to order mine at my Honda dealer's.

Part numbers:

89201-MR8-000

89202-KVO-000

That's the 2 spanners and I don't remember which was shock and which was chain. You probably need both, anyway.

89256-MT4-000

This is the extension handle and you need one if you don't have one. Works with both spanners.

Shipping might be prohibitive, but these people list the parts for a 2004. Won't they be the same for a 2006??

http://www.hondapart...=2004&fveh=3953

Just an FYI, the 06 and on vfrs did not come with the full OEM tool kit that the VFRs all had previously (at least here in the US). They only came with the spanner wrench for adjusting the chain and that was it. So if you got that from the previous owner, sadly you did get the toolkit that comes with the bike, lol. When I bought my 06, I spent a while cussing at the chain spanner wrench that comes with the bike before I got on VFRD and realized that was in fact the chain spanner wrench only and not also for the suspension....I had been trying to use it on the rear shock thinking that it must be able to do both. :pissed:

Thanks guys. Yeah frustrating as my tool collection is limited. Will look into the flea-bay links as I anticipate needing both the chain and suspension spanners in the future.

Cheers.

Larrakin ;-)

• 2 years later...

Thanks for saving me a lot of headache, everyone. For the record, I am lazy/cheap/really didn't want to hop in the cage to go pick up a spanner at CycleGear. The flat screwdriver and mallet (NOT a hammer) trick worked surprisingly well. If it doesn't move easy, don't force it. Also doesn't have to move much to tighten the chain.

• Member Contributer

A screwdriver is too hard. Doesn't matter what you hit it with, it will gouge the alloy hub carrier castellations. Motion Pro makes a special long-handled drift, but the best tool for the job is the OEM one.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Hi mate, nearly all good bike shops carry an adjustable rear shock C spanner.

I know MCA do, as I've got one from there before for around $12.

• Member Contributer

SPANNER, PIN
89201-MR8-000 001 $17.60 $13.19

This is the spanner part no. Avaliable wherever Honda VFR parts are sold. The part no. is the same for fifth and sixth gens.

This was copied from a Wis. Honda mc dealer.

• Member Contributer

We have all been guilty!

Ciao,

Not me. My machines get enough abuse on the road. No sense in further antagonism.

Archived