Why the "buzz" about aftermarket exhaust?

slooman

I'm now going to show my complete ignorance on a topic:

What is the big draw to aftermarket exhaust systems? I've always kept my bikes stock so I'm clueless (I actually LIKE the look of the exhaust on the 1200). Is it just for the sound? Is it added horsepower? Is it better response/performance?

I'm getting the feeling I'm missing the boat here. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I cant speak for the 1200, but the Kerker that I have on my 90, and the TBR models I have seen/heard make the bike sound to me like a late70s/early 80s Camaro. An old Chevy small block 350. I usually like the looks of aftermarket stuff better, as well. I am an engineer (sort of), and really like stainless steel. I have a stainless pen that rides in my shirt (pocket or on the flap between buttons) *every* day. I always have a pen; the stainless doesn't break, or get ugly...you get it. If you like your stocker - KEEP it!! I personally would want a lefty or an undertail to show off the trick swingarm (my 90 has a Kerker Left exit, and when I get it completely restored, I have a full Two Brothers Stainless unit for it - Left exit as well).

That's how most people feel, they want a sound or a look...if you like yours, you are way ahead of the rest of us poor (getting poorer from farkling) sods in my opinion.

Cheers!

In my case, it was 60 % for sound, 40 % for looks. If you can appreciate the sound of the beloved internal combustion engine, putting an exhaust on your VFR is about as good as it gets. (errr, that was until Honda made a 76 degree V on the 1200). On the 6th gen, it looks much cleaner and there is a small weight loss on the rear end. All good things

• Member Contributer

Typically an after market exhaust has the following benefits:

• Custom look
  • louder than stock
  • increased flow
  • decreased weight

There is nothing wrong with the stock exhaust of any bike but every rider is different. Just look at the build threads you find here on how people swap their suspension, fairings, paint schemes, exhaust, etc to better suit what they desire and you can understand why there is a market for exhausts. If you are happy with your setup then stick with it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :fing02:

I put R1 titanium cans on my VFR because I wanted to cut down some weight and just slightly increase the V4 volume. On my old R6 I put on a Scorpion slip on because I wanted more performance and a nicer looking can.

• Member Contributer

Sound, looks, weight. Aftermarket can weigh half of the original system, sometimes even lighter. That's a decent chunk of weight.

• Member Contributer

For my 4th gen......

Sound:

with the oem exhaust you miss that lovely V4 sound

Looks

bush2.jpg

The "need" to have something different

Not a biggie for me, but the oem weighs in at 6.1 kilo vs Akra 1.6 (including S pipe)

I'm now going to show my complete ignorance on a topic:

What is the big draw to aftermarket exhaust systems? I've always kept my bikes stock so I'm clueless (I actually LIKE the look of the exhaust on the 1200). Is it just for the sound? Is it added horsepower? Is it better response/performance?

I'm getting the feeling I'm missing the boat here. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Being on your side of the fence, the main reason I can see is the wt. savings. Since I wear ear plugs I can't hear it enough to make a difference anyway. As mentioned usually more than 50% loss in wt.

• Member Contributer

If you've "missed the boat", then the is no boat :laugh:

Aftermarket exhaust is a farkle (read optional).

I think people put aftermarket on purely for louder sound. And usually all it does it annoy everyone else but the owner.

Weight? I seriously dought the weight saving is going to make much difference in real world numbers other then lighten your wallet.

Performance? Well most people just take the oem off and put the new on and dont even properly tune their engine for it. So I dont believe the performance part for the majority of people.

• Member Contributer

I think people put aftermarket on purely for louder sound. And usually all it does it annoy everyone else but the owner.

Weight? I seriously dought the weight saving is going to make much difference in real world numbers other then lighten your wallet.

Performance? Well most people just take the oem off and put the new on and dont even properly tune their engine for it. So I dont believe the performance part for the majority of people.

Really? Wow, think, doubt, and most people? Do you read these forums at all?

Now for a real answer like the others above.

Weight - just take off your stock exhaust you will feel the weight, I tried to ship the damn thing to Huntinguns but it was too friggin heavy. Aftermarket are MUCH lighter and if you don't think 15-20 lbs difference makes a difference in the performance of the bike you don't ride nearly enough.

Sound - nothing like it, plain and simple pure adrenaline pumping buttery V4 bliss. Turns heads and sounds amazing. Sure you can put an annoying ass loud pipe and make it sound like a crotch rocket but if you stick with Leo, Two Brothers, you will love the sound. I swapped mine out after too many people asking me if my bike was even running! There is no doubt it is absolutley awesome sounding.

Performance - not lifechanging but it does add some pep, add the power commander and it will make a big difference in the way the bike responds to throttle. The first time I took off on it I could feel it instantly.

Good luck deciding either way.

I've never purchased an aftermarket exhaust for any of my motorcycles. However, I have purchased two pre-owned motorcycles that already had aftermarket exhausts mounted and I've had no desire to restore the stock exhaust to either one.

My '98 Triumph T-509 Speed Triple has a factory Triumph race exhaust and my '98 5th generation has a Two Brother's Racing high-mount exhaust. Neither is obnoxiously loud imo unless the rider goes out of their way to make them that way by constantly blipping the gas, using high revs, or accelerating hard when in close proximity to others.

I may upset some people by saying this, but the tendency for so many riders of "American Iron" to equip their mounts with open pipes really does turn me off though. While the tones produced by my Triumph's and Viffer's exhausts do tend to turn heads, I've never observed anyone frown or appear to aggravated by the sounds they make. Of course unlike so many H.D. riders I try to avoid making a lot of noise when riding my motorcycles in town and around pedestrians. When I do choose wick it up I usually pick an area out of town where the noise should not annoy or attract much attention from anyone.

It really bothers me when so many H.D. riders seem to go out of their way to make as much noise as possible most of the time-and quite frankly I don't find the "blatt" of an un-muffled H.D. to be pleasing anyway. I've also witnessed young children who appeared to truly be terrified as loud American v-twin riders roared past them. To me these episodes are bad for our sport and cast a dark shadow on all who ride. Of course, it's not just the H.D. riders who set a bad example, but also (predomenently young) sportbike riders can be just as bad aboard their their barely muffled, and often screaming inline fours too.

I've ridden other vfrs with the stock exhaust and of course mine with the TBR can. While the V-4's somewhat unusual (and pleasing) sound still comes through the stock exhaust, to my ears the tone produced by the TBR sounds SO sweet to my ears! The same can be for the Triumph can on my S3.

That said, I've kept the original exhaust on my '94 ST1100 for 17-years w/o any regrets as well.

I guess the bottom line is I'm probably too cheap to spend the $600+ for a new aftermarket exhaust, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick one a used one if the condition and price were right.

On second thought, where the viffer is concerned I've become so accustomed to the sweet sounds from the TBR pipe I might have a hard time being happy with the stock exhaust tone if I decide to purchase another one in the future.

• Member Contributer

Oh6, you need to add Staintune to your list also! :laugh: The key point for most is that a V-4 sounds just so excellent with a good, aftermarket setup. Not open, not obnoxious and definitely not wanting to upset the neighbours. Just a bit throatier so you can hear the cadence and vroom.

I don't understand why there are still so many here that think that aftermarket pipes are so bad on the VFRs because they supposedly "bother the neighbors" As noted already, it's more the open pipes on HDs that typically bother the neighbors and everyone else a quarter mile away. The quality of the sound that comes from most systems designed for VFRs, even unspudded is not irritating but just "edgy" at most.

Anyway, the VFR is supposed to be a sporty bike, so why ride it sounding so "ordinary". You have to have a little bit of "Sturm and Drang" character to the bike in more than just looks. Don't you guys ever notice how totally dissapointing a lot of BMWs sound with their OEM exhausts when they pull away sounding like grandma's sewing machine?? It's such a wast eof a great motor like the V4 on VFRs if you will never let it "sing" out for you.

Beck

95 VFR

Some ppls music is other ppls noise, no matter if it's a sport bike or HD. There are some nice sounding pipes out there though.

• Member Contributer

Some ppls music is other ppls noise, no matter if it's a sport bike or HD. There are some nice sounding pipes out there though.

Have to agree with that - my carbon pipe is on the loud side, but I like it. When I was BSing with the neighbor he mentioned that he can hear me coming. I may pack some fibre glass or steel wool in it to tone it down just a bit.

Oh Monk,...I might/could be older than you but,........sorry, that just sounds so "get off my lawn!" to me............. :rolleyes::tongue:

Beck

95 VFR

I'm a OLD fan Of Clint Eastwood.

I'm with Monk on this one... I can't stand loud pipes. I think this started mostly after I got kids :tongue:.

BUT, I do find the stock pipe a little anemic. I think this has been talked about before, but is there any aftermarket pipe that will give a bit more V4 rumble without waking up the neighbours in the morning?

I've had Supertrapp mufflers in the past and I could never get the volume down to a reasonable level without causing too much back-pressure.

I'm with Monk on this one... I can't stand loud pipes. I think this started mostly after I got kids :tongue:.

BUT, I do find the stock pipe a little anemic. I think this has been talked about before, but is there any aftermarket pipe that will give a bit more V4 rumble without waking up the neighbours in the morning?

I've had Supertrapp mufflers in the past and I could never get the volume down to a reasonable level without causing too much back-pressure.

Having had traps, they were more for balancing the flow than the sound, and they did a nice job of that, I just didn't like how they blow the exhaust on to the bike though.

I wear my ear plugs around kids as well

• Member Contributer

It was simply performance for me. The first aftermarket exhaust I put on the VFR, a low mount Micron, when I first hit it on a highway on ramp...no comparison to the stock exhaust. The seat of the pants kick was mildly intoxicating...I've gotten used to it now and it's more about looks, sound and saving a couple pounds. But that first time was definitely noticeable and made me a believer.

Archived