Why the "buzz" about aftermarket exhaust?

slooman

• Member Contributer

This!

Looks like Leo Vince exhausts make you ride on the wrong side of the road. :ohmy:

I put Remus pipes on the '04 because I thought the OEM's looked like giant slabs of metal and because I couldn't hear the exhaust note over the wind and intake noise. The Remus carbon pipes took care of both issues quite nicely without being nearly as loud as a D & D (Deaf and Deafer) or a Hardly Davidson. I plan to put them on the '08, even though they have a couple of battle scars from the '04's premature death.

• Member Contributer

SOUND!!

:tongue:

just messing with ya.. being deaf and all..

lets see.. lops off 10 lbs and gets bitchin looks. and more gusto on the gas. :happy:

BUT, I do find the stock pipe a little anemic. I think this has been talked about before, but is there any aftermarket pipe that will give a bit more V4 rumble without waking up the neighbours in the morning?

The Staintunes come with a restrictor ('spud') which IIRC is supposed to make the pipe no louder than OEM. I put this in when I go for my six-monthly "Warrant of Fitness" check. The rest of the time, I use a modified spud which has the 'tail' (pipe that extends inisde the muffler) cut off completely. This makes it louder - not enough to attract attention or get me into trouble or annoy people, but when the engine is revved it has more of a bark to it.

Occasionally I ride with no spud at all, but after a while it gets on my nerves so I go back to the 'noisy' spud. The other week, I wasn't paying attention and put the quiet spud in. TBH, it took me a while to realise why the bike was so quiet. It was actually rather pleasant, but became a bit anodyne after a while.

Well my 5th gen came with both the OEM can and a Staintune slip on. Gotta say, weight decrease is nice (15 or so lbs lighter), sounds better (not necessarily louder unless I take out the silencer which I generally do), looks better and shows of the SSSA really nicely, and finally its something unique, and makes the bike different.

-Mike

I think this has been talked about before, but is there any aftermarket pipe that will give a bit more V4 rumble without waking up the neighbours in the morning?

I had a Yoshimura on my 5th gen that I thought sounded great, but subdued. My wife and other non-riding friends commented that it wasn't offending like so many other bikes they hear.

The motor breaths far better with a less restrictive pipe - the factory muffler is designed primarily for noise abatement to meet legal requirements. It is not designed for maximum efficiency. So to replace it will allow the motor to make more power, and also improve economy (assuming the bike is ridden for economy). The older carbed VFRs are jetted rich from the factory so 99% of the time no adjustment to tuning is required. The EFI bikes can also compensate but you can further tune them with a PC to make the most of the changed parameters.

Good to see you back TBZep! Haven't seen you for a while either, Enzed.

Grateful to all out there. I took less of a beating than I thought with some good info thrown in. The VFR is the first performance bike I've owned so I think I've got to put a few more miles on it to start to feel the nuances of the motor. I like the weight reduction (more difference than I would have imagined) and picking up the sound of the engine (awesome video, btw) without waking my neighbors.

I AM surprised, though, that nobody mentioned the safety aspect. Does a louder bike make you safer on the roads?

• Member Contributer

I AM surprised, though, that nobody mentioned the safety aspect. Does a louder bike make you safer on the roads?

NO!!!!!

the "loud pipes save lives" myth has been busted by 20 some tv shows...

aaannndd

with more people having ipods no one hears crap..

to top it off..

you live in and around the DC area.. there are the most deaf people in the world..

we come here for Gallaudet college and stay for the pals who we can "talk with..

and I am here.. and i tease the harley guys .. why the loud pipes.. you jealous i am deaf?

• Member Contributer

The motor breaths far better with a less restrictive pipe - the factory muffler is designed primarily for noise abatement to meet legal requirements. It is not designed for maximum efficiency. So to replace it will allow the motor to make more power, and also improve economy (assuming the bike is ridden for economy). The older carbed VFRs are jetted rich from the factory so 99% of the time no adjustment to tuning is required. The EFI bikes can also compensate but you can further tune them with a PC to make the most of the changed parameters.

Good to see you back TBZep! Haven't seen you for a while either, Enzed.

It's great to be back! It's like I never left....oil threads, filter threads, loud pipes save lives threads... :bliss:

All you have to do is pay attention when you're riding in your car that by the time you hear a HD come up on you from behind he's already in the way if you were to change lanes. Then add music and a rolled up window.

I see that this topic has been covered before. Not trying to stir anything up. I'll just take it as a "maybe" and dig around some of the older threads for opinions...still new to this stuff.

• Member Contributer

All you have to do is pay attention when you're riding in your car that by the time you hear a HD come up on you from behind he's already in the way if you were to change lanes. Then add music and a rolled up window.

Most of us have been in a cage at one time or another with the radio turned up a bit and haven't even noticed the siren on the cruiser/ambulance/fire engine until it was nearly on top of us. That siren is designed to cut through the clatter, yet it doesn't always get the job done.

I think people put aftermarket on purely for louder sound. And usually all it does it annoy everyone else but the owner.

Weight? I seriously dought the weight saving is going to make much difference in real world numbers other then lighten your wallet.

Performance? Well most people just take the oem off and put the new on and dont even properly tune their engine for it. So I dont believe the performance part for the majority of people.

I made a few trips to the hardware store on my 6th gen without the exhaust attached (I was working on it) and I noticed the reduced center of gravity made coming to a stop and slow speed maneuvers a thousand times easier and increasing my comfort and control while riding.

-Drew

• Member Contributer

I see that this topic has been covered before. Not trying to stir anything up. I'll just take it as a "maybe" and dig around some of the older threads for opinions...still new to this stuff.

No maybe about it. Pure placebo effect. The only thing that increases your safety on the bike is you. Being loud doesn't do anything except annoy others. Maybe even increases your chances of getting hit by some annoyed cager. :rolleyes:

My Kawasaki Ninja was so loud that after 30 minutes of riding I would start to get a headache. It came with a full sport exhaust system that had me competing with the Harley crowds for decible levels. That didn't stop a minivan from backing out of her driveway and slamming me into a ditch and she had her windows rolled down. So "loud pipes saves lives" is pure bogus. Only attentive drivers save lives. :musik20:

But that's just my experience (read opinion).

• Member Contributer

There isn't anything that you can do that will make you safer with the exception of you. Brighter lights (HID's which I know everyone loves to debate) a louder horn, a loud exhaust all help increase awareness incrementally but nothing is safer, there are simply too many idiots out there.

And by the way - there is no replacement for the amount of testosterone that just starting the bike with an aftermarket exhaust will do for you......

Archived