So if you were going to shaker can a bike

5thGenJim

Best shaker Can Paints  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What shaker can paint offers the best quality finish

• Member Contributer

Flat black is not out of the question at this point. I've made up my mind on a few things:

a. I'm not going to wait to save the money to do a professional job.

b. My bike is 11 years old and a pro job might be like putting an addition on a camper.

c. I'm good enough, smart enough, and dog gone it, I can paint my own motorcycle.

d. I've got the colors narrowed down to three... metallic blue, dark metallic gray (think 2006 VFR), something like the CBR600RR Orange.

Your input is appreciated... AndIThankYou.

- Jim

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no idea about the poll.

I think I'd go for the orange or the blue.

I vote orange and blue. WAR EAGLE! :laughing6-hehe:

Just curious, what's your budget? I would think that there's some small shop in your area that would shoot a solid color for cheap...

Over the years, I always been able to locate and do some business this way on project bikes.

craigslist is your friend.

• Member Contributer

I used ColorRite on a 636 in Ninja Green. Wasn't great, wasn't awful. Color looked to be pretty good, I just sprayed the sides to match the factory tank and upper, and it matched ok. People with patience can get reasonable results from a rattle can. I'm not one of those people. It was a 20 footer, at best! :laughing6-hehe:

1002081205.jpg

Krylon or store brand on the old track bikes in the past. :fing02:

Actually, I'm considering the ColorRite route again for my '99. Probably won't have the time or cash to get it done before TMac, though. So, really what would be the point? :mellow:

• Member Contributer

Just curious, what's your budget? I would think that there's some small shop in your area that would shoot a solid color for cheap...

Over the years, I always been able to locate and do some business this way on project bikes.

craigslist is your friend.

I checked the local shop... $1,300.00. Nothing else I could find local.

There's a place in MD that will shoot a one color for $600.00 minimum (he shoots PPG paints); but it's 6 weeks for him to get to it.

I was going to save the $600 and do it, but for a quarter of that, I could be done next weekend..

• Member Contributer

Actually, I'm considering the ColorRite route again for my '99. Probably won't have the time or cash to get it done before TMac, though. So, really what would be the point? :mellow:

Sounds like you have another year to save up for what you want. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

If you really take your time with the prep work and you apply several very light coats along with some wet sanding and and clearcoat, you can actually get very decent results from rattle can paint jobs.

In my opinion, darker colors seem to come out better, and I think I'd skip the blue and orange options.

Yellow fifth gens are relatively rare. If the stock paint is in good shape, I'd seriously consider just leaving it, or trying to find another fifth gen owner who'd be up for swapping plastics with you.

Either way, good luck and be sure to post some pics of the results.

Guest vfrrider

Go, read, and sin no more:

DIY rattle can

Be sure to read and follow mfgrs instructions on paint.

I did my own front fender with Colorrite 3 part Crystal Pearl White, looks OEM for a R1 front fender on a 3rd gen white VFR.

Larry

VFRrider

I have had good luck with both duplicolor and colorite. The key is good prep! Read up on it and follow the instructions on the paint. Remember to spray a tack coat first and let all coats cure well before the next one gets sprayed. A clean dust free area is a lot of help too. A simple sheet of drop cloth and a spritzer bottle can turn any enclosed space into a decent spray booth :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Toro1 has an orange 5th gen and Axel_7 an orange 6th gen in their galleries if you'd like to see either in that color.

• Member Contributer

Normally, I would say to stay AWAY from dark colors because flaws pop out like a flare at midnight but MBrane seems to have the magic touch with a rattle can. Awesome work!

• Member Contributer

it doesnt matter if you use spray can or ,1,000,000,000,000 paint by a pro..

if the prep work and sanding is done in between coats s it will look good!

a shop called "mobtown" spray cans most of there stuff satin black.

it so silky smooth its crazy.

then clearcoat and sand with 600 grip a few times..

its all about the WORK , not the paint. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

If you want some wild colors, Black Gold sells House of Kolors in spray cans. I painted my RC51 front fender using their products and the paint was an absolutely perfect match. As has already been said, prep and finishing work is everything, so if you're willing to invest the time, you can do it.

Also, if you have a friend (or a friend of a friend) who does paint work, see what they'll quote you for the whole job -- it might end up being the only way to go (I had my entire bike painted for $250, including materials).

• Member Contributer

If you really take your time with the prep work and you apply several very light coats along with some wet sanding and and clearcoat, you can actually get very decent results from rattle can paint jobs.

Agreed. I painted a couple of bicycle frames with off the shelf Krylon and can say they turned out quite nice. I did spend several hours though sanding and polishing.

• Member Contributer

where's the "I know you and you won't be happy once it's done" vote option? cover it with decal kit for a $100, till you can do it the way you want..

• Member Contributer

What is the goal?

If it's to save money, and enjoy the experience then you should go with it.

As everyone said, be prepared to spend more than one weekend though if you want any kinda decent results.

Don't have an opinion on the choice of suppliers, but I do like the orange.

One other advantage of the orange is that it may better hide the imperfections. IMHO.

I've painted my truck interior with a spray can and what seemed like an easy job turned into lots and lots of sanding, spraying, waiting, sanding, .............

Enjoy :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

No Comment.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" :goofy:

You're not secretly Canadian are you? :dry:

It never hurts to be vigilant :laughing6-hehe:

Many, many hours sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting... I put about 3 coats of primer, 7-8 coats of red, 5-6 coats of clear. To finish I wet sanded with more and more fine grit (up to 2000) and then polished/buffed it by hand. A ton of work and I messed up on a few spots, but I was proud of it when I was done

gallery_12942_3936_95592.jpg

Finished

gallery_12942_3936_592001.jpg

Painted the detail by hand

• Member Contributer

If you want some wild colors, Black Gold sells House of Kolors in spray cans. I painted my RC51 front fender using their products and the paint was an absolutely perfect match. As has already been said, prep and finishing work is everything, so if you're willing to invest the time, you can do it.

Also, if you have a friend (or a friend of a friend) who does paint work, see what they'll quote you for the whole job -- it might end up being the only way to go (I had my entire bike painted for $250, including materials).

This brings me to another question: how much of each product (Primer, Base, Clear) might I need for my 5th Gen?

Archived