So if you were going to shaker can a bike

5thGenJim

Best shaker Can Paints  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What shaker can paint offers the best quality finish

• Member Contributer

where's the "I know you and you won't be happy once it's done" vote option? cover it with decal kit for a $100, till you can do it the way you want..

You mean like a big wing or tribal across the sides? That's a possibility, too. But, I'm seriously tired of the yellow and if I don't do something this season, I'm thinking I'm not going to do it at all...

(sorry Lobster... to each his own)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

No Comment.

I know what I'd want to do in a perfect world, Seb. But, that doesn't seem to be happening this season.

So, I wen't from this

DSCI0026.jpg

to falling over and going to this

vfr.jpg

1237487733989.jpg

To tipping over and going to this

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_20100928_145059.jpg

And I'm respraying it Navy blue with gold wheels as we speak. Always rattle canned. I use a full can per body panel, so I go thru about 5 cans. Just wash the panels and dry them really well. Paint the inside of the panels too so you don't see yellow around the vent edges. Also, don't use flat black. Look for Satin Black wheel paint. Best finish I could have hoped for, and just enough shine to not be a rat bike. Makes the brushed silver frame look amazing too.

• Member Contributer

to falling over and going to this

vfr.jpg

1237487733989.jpg

To tipping over and going to this

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_20100928_145059.jpg

I'm surprised Timmy hasn't jumped in screaming blasphemy for this color change.

• Member Contributer

You don't like the yellow? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Lobster...

I put my bike next to Jim's, his yellow is WAY OFF. It isn't the beautiful yellow we have. I hate to say it, but Jim's yellow is quite, er, um, bland.

• Member Contributer

Okay - so Timmy sends me a Facebook post and says, "No you won't." As in, I won't actually paint my bike using shaker cans. And, dammit, he might be half right.

I found a paint shop in Philly that will do the job for a reasonable rate - PPG Shopline paints. Finalizing details with him and will likely pull the trigger on this in the next week or two.

Timmy = the Oracle. Who knew (besides Timmy of course)??

• Member Contributer

You don't like the yellow? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Lobster...

I put my bike next to Jim's, his yellow is WAY OFF. It isn't the beautiful yellow we have. I hate to say it, but Jim's yellow is quite, er, um, bland.

It's true. It's like a washed out yellow.

If mine were the same color as your two bikes, I would just do a big wing or tribal on the side fairings and suck it up until I was ready to buy the RWB or metallic black 6th Gen (of course, then I'd bitch about the VTec surge, and wish for a 7th Gen).

• Member Contributer

IMG_20100928_145059.jpg

And I'm respraying it Navy blue with gold wheels as we speak. Always rattle canned. I use a full can per body panel, so I go thru about 5 cans. Just wash the panels and dry them really well. Paint the inside of the panels too so you don't see yellow around the vent edges. Also, don't use flat black. Look for Satin Black wheel paint. Best finish I could have hoped for, and just enough shine to not be a rat bike. Makes the brushed silver frame look amazing too.

Where you at, man? If this falls through with the shop, I might come see you with a handful of green paper with pictures of dead presidents. :cool:

Where you at, man? If this falls through with the shop, I might come see you with a handful of green paper with pictures of dead presidents. :cool:

About an hour out of San Francisco. Plus, cell phone pictures from ten feet make the bike look better than it really is.

• Member Contributer

About an hour out of San Francisco. Plus, cell phone pictures from ten feet make the bike look better than it really is.

My old stompin' grounds.

• Member Contributer

Timmy... I know where he stores the bike.. Let's surprise him!

i'm with you, not against you

PinkMotorcycle.jpg

The 'Hello Kitty' treatment, eh?? I'm watchin' fer you summmbiatches.

• Member Contributer

it doesnt matter if you use spray can or ,1,000,000,000,000 paint by a pro..

if the prep work and sanding is done in between coats s it will look good!

a shop called "mobtown" spray cans most of there stuff satin black.

it so silky smooth its crazy.

then clearcoat and sand with 600 grip a few times..

its all about the WORK , not the paint. :fing02:

+1000

I spent a lot of time sanding that ZX. Paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand.......

Would have been a bit less if I had a proper booth, and such but I digress......

I'm done with the newest rattle can job. Got crazy and did the wheels too.

IMG_20110404_094211.jpg

IMG_20110404_094217.jpg

Rust-o-leam Navy Blue and Rust-o-leam flat gold on the wheels. I dig it. Paints not too glossy.

• Member Contributer

I'm done with the newest rattle can job. Got crazy and did the wheels too.

IMG_20110404_094211.jpg

Rust-o-leam Navy Blue and Rust-o-leam flat gold on the wheels. I dig it. Paints not too glossy.

Not bad. If I go blue, it will be this one:

KBC05_BC25.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just curious, what's your budget? I would think that there's some small shop in your area that would shoot a solid color for cheap...

Over the years, I always been able to locate and do some business this way on project bikes.

craigslist is your friend.

I checked the local shop... $1,300.00. Nothing else I could find local.

There's a place in MD that will shoot a one color for $600.00 minimum (he shoots PPG paints); but it's 6 weeks for him to get to it.

I was going to save the $600 and do it, but for a quarter of that, I could be done next weekend..

Where is that place in MD? Sounds like a good winter project...

Archived