Exhaust to be heard

781Edges

I would like a pipe that can be easily heard,I'm thinking about making or buying a stubby.The traffic to work and back is fast moving / jammed.I would feel more at ease hearing the exhaust myself and hoping the cagers to the right and left know I'm there.I would like to get some advise on cutting down a pipe, has anybody here done this ? how long did you make it? I would like to avoid backfire if possible.

Thanks Gang.

781 Edges.

Guest vfrrider

D&D, but save th old pipe so you can fit it back when they pass the MC Noise Control Law in Utah to appease the Govenator.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

I would like a pipe that can be easily heard,I'm thinking about making or buying a stubby.

No doubt you'll get some useful responses, but allow me be the first to shout..... Incoming! :lurk:

If you change your exhaust, you and the nearby cars won't be able to hear the lovely gear whine. Keep your exhaust and buy a Stebel air horn!

• Member Contributer

Never seen anyone do a stubby for the sake of being loud. D&D or Staintunes probably the best bet.

But I don't believe loud exhaust to do anything for safety. You don't really hear them until the bike is about in front anyways.

• Forum CEO

Most of that legislation unfortunately started in Colorado. I had the loud d&d myself untill it needed repacking for a third time.

I went with a Staintune because it does not need repacking and it has a silencer bud. In denver you can get a ticket for a loud exhaust.

Now I prefer the deep rumble with the quiet tip. My veefalo has a silenced bud in it too on the Leo Vince. The loud exhaust saves lives thing never proved true for me.

People still cut me off, still pulled out in front of me, deer still ran out into the road.

I have a D&D on it now, but with the cat and the pipe having D&D Factory street wrap packing it's really mellow.When I'm flyin down the highway I can't hear it at all with my helmet on.Just looking for a little more.

Thanks

781 edges.

if it is traffic safety you are after, maybe it is better to be seen rather than heard

BwDdygmkKGrHqJiEv10HgThBMHO3TF7n_12.jpg

and not hearing you bike can be a blessing. I am 42 and have been riding at least 10,000 miles a year since I was 15 and my hearing is getting pretty bad.

If you do cut the can, it is dead simple. Drill out rivets, cut can (striaghtly please), cut baffle, assemble, put in metal screws in rivet holes.

I am not weighing in on the loud pipe discussion, just passing on my thoughts.

• Member Contributer

.......buy a Stebel air horn!

But I don't believe loud exhaust to do anything for safety. You don't really hear them until the bike is about in front anyways.

Ask someone that has followed you if your bike is loud. Exahust is pointed towards the rear, which is the direction the sound will travel. My Stebel has gotten more attention than my Staintunes.

• Member Contributer

.......buy a Stebel air horn!

Ask someone that has followed you if your bike is loud. Exahust is pointed towards the rear, which is the direction the sound will travel. My Stebel has gotten more attention than my Staintunes.

Stebel it is !!!

• Member Contributer

I have a D&D on it now, but with the cat and the pipe having D&D Factory street wrap packing it's really mellow.When I'm flyin down the highway I can't hear it at all with my helmet on.Just looking for a little more.

Thanks

781 edges.

Do you wear ear plugs? That makes a huge difference on what you can hear. I can hear my exhaust fine on the highway with plugs in. Without, can't hear anything.

+ 1 for wearing earplugs......

Also if you're looking to be safer when riding ... might want to read "More Proficient Motorcycling Mastering the Ride" by David L. Hough.

It's more into how to survive on the puplic streets.

• Member Contributer

Most of that legislation unfortunately started in Colorado.

Great. :huh:

Not a fan of obnoxiously loud exhaust, but I do like a mellow rumble...

I would like a pipe that can be easily heard,I'm thinking about making or buying a stubby.The traffic to work and back is fast moving / jammed.I would feel more at ease hearing the exhaust myself and hoping the cagers to the right and left know I'm there.I would like to get some advise on cutting down a pipe, has anybody here done this ? how long did you make it? I would like to avoid backfire if possible.

Thanks Gang.

781 Edges.

slip-on+98-99 header=loud.

pair removal & pc3+o2 eliminators to avoid backfiring.

• Member Contributer

if it is traffic safety you are after, maybe it is better to be seen rather than heard

BwDdygmkKGrHqJiEv10HgThBMHO3TF7n_12.jpg

and not hearing you bike can be a blessing. I am 42 and have been riding at least 10,000 miles a year since I was 15 and my hearing is getting pretty bad.

If you do cut the can, it is dead simple. Drill out rivets, cut can (striaghtly please), cut baffle, assemble, put in metal screws in rivet holes.

I am not weighing in on the loud pipe discussion, just passing on my thoughts.

A HiViz vest actually HAS cut down on how much traffic tries to kill me. This has been proven, hi-viz jackets and helmets work well.

But back on topic, FWIW, I gutted my 6th gen pipes but then later wished that I hadn't...

Never seen anyone do a stubby for the sake of being loud. D&D or Staintunes probably the best bet.

IIRC, Dutchy has a very nice looking stubby...ish CF can on his 4th gen.... :fing02:

Oh, I think they will definitely hear you soon enough with a louder pipe,...........unless you usually ride near the speed of sound?? :blink:

Beck

95 VFR

Most of that legislation unfortunately started in Colorado.

Great. :huh:

Not a fan of obnoxiously loud exhaust, but I do like a mellow rumble...

IMO, most of the aftermarket exhausts for the VFR are not too loud as to be obnoxious or painful to hear.

Straight pipe Harleys, now those are obnoxioous and painful to hear AND FEEL. I wish people do not bunch most of us VFR aftermarket pipe users (Staintune high right in my case) with that group.

Beck

95 VFR

Even though I like riding a bike that makes the least amount of sound(due to an on going loss of hearing), but do like to hear a rich tone on other bikes(not that I want to ride behind one).

But it seems that the best way to control exhaust ds. is with a ds.tester........ I just heard on the news that the cage manufactures will have to start making more noise because it's a safety factor problem concerning other people that can't hear the cage coming....... So here we are making all these diff' ways to control sound when all that would be needed is a ds. min / max for the 50 states... how hard is that ?....

Archived