103 members have voted

1. 1. Should the V4 CrossRunner be a Regular on VFRD

• Yes
    • No
    • Need more info
    • Let HS decide

The Crossover has broken from cover:

Crossover pics

Honda’s new Crossrunner signals the birth of a new class of motorcycle. The Crossrunner blends the best elements of a naked bike with certain design cues from the popular adventure motorcycle sector, but with a road-biased chassis. Honda has listened to customer feedback which revealed that they enjoy the roomy, upright style of an adventure bike, but prefer the responsiveness of a sports-touring derived chassis. The result is a comfortable and highly competent commuter or longer distance machine, which inspires confidence on the road. At its heart is the proven 100bhp, 782cc V4 motor - originally seen powering the legendary VFR800 VTEC machine - married to suspension that is perfectly suited to the varied road conditions that the Crossrunner will face. Adding to the feeling of safety are modern, uprated ABS brakes. A range of accessories will also be available for the Crossrunner, including heated grips, a larger screen, panniers, top box, 12-volt accessory power point and a centre stand. Colours for the new Crossrunner will be Graphite Black/Matt Moonstone Silver Metallic, Pearl Fadeless White/Matt Bullet Silver Metallic and Candy Blazing Red/Matt Moonstone Silver Metallic.

Cheers! E-Ticket

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's simply a restyled, upright '09 VFR 800 ... w/ V-Tec. Arrghh....

Oh well, some commuter types will like it. But I will pass, eh.

Where the he** is our VFR 1000R ....??

And what's frustrating is that Honda has *all* the pieces ... they just refuse to put them together. (sigh)

E-Ticket

I really think they owe Mick some sort of development credit;

40087_1372762594897_1106731506_30886971_6473874_n.jpg

Also, Too busy here, but someone should up a video with these Crossrunner shots and the song for background: "The hills are alive with the sound of VeeeFooooorrrr!" lol :laughing6-hehe:

I like it, but doubt will buy it. My next bike will not burn gas, or bio-anything; that just uses more land diverting food crops for fuel. ahem.

I thought i wanted a TDM or a 6th gen to put higher bars on for total comfort commuting.

Now I want this:

m1fzqgcskvgt_ml.jpg

This is, of course in addition to the yellow peril, not instead of, mind you. I think this is a smart, real world bike. It is not the Honda Sport-Bike company, it is Honda Motors.

Am I reading the OP question wrong? Isn't the question about whether this "thing" will have a category in the list of VFR models? Is having a Honda V4 all that's required to be VFRD "worthy"? What happens when the V4 generators come out? Will they earn a spot on the VFRD calender? If it doesn't say VF,VFR or Interceptor, then there are probably plenty of other forums for it to hide out in. Maybe a forum for poor selling models.

No. It does belong. No only does it have a V4. It has THE V4. (albeit vtec).

/edit- Honda doesn't listen? They saw a lot of us installing higher bars, or defecting to a GS. Now christen the thing with a proper electrical system.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.........Overweight, underpowered and overpriced. The Ninja1000 is what this thing should have been. When will Honda wake up?

• Member Contributer

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.........Overweight, underpowered and overpriced. The Ninja1000 is what this thing should have been. When will Honda wake up?

I'm liking the ninja 1000. Wish it wasn't $10k.

So in the real world is it going to be lighter than a 6th Gen with ABS.

most likely, yes. The 6th gen carries alot of it's weight on the subframe that had to be beefie to hold the exhaust.

In the real world nobody is shaving off tenths of a second with this bike and for it's intended purpose, 240kg does not make it overweight.

If 22 kgs are hindering sir's fun with this bike, sir bought the wrong bike.

Don't look now but Honda's got their CB1000R on their AMERICAN WEBSITE!! Yeah it's coming to crush you and your krusty kwacker. Oh yeah, if ya haven't noticed Honda is fully awake and ready to take on the world....again.

Personally, I kinda like it. As a former 99 and 01 VFR owner, this intrigues me though I never sampled a VTEC VFR. It's a smart, real-world road bike with smart accessories. I'd wish it would have lost more lbs though. The biggest delinator will be price. I'd love to have the Multistrada, but dropping $15,000 or $20,000 is insane. My in-house loan officer squashed that Duc early. It's motorbike lust.

Hopefully, costs are down and the fun quotient is high. Heck, I still think the 94-97 VFR's are most likely to fill my garage.

• Member Contributer

... My in-house loan officer squashed that Duc early...

:mellow: :happy: :blush:

I've got one of them too!

They're not much fun are they? :dry:

• Member Contributer

I thought i wanted a TDM or a 6th gen to put higher bars on for total comfort commuting.

Now I want this:

m1fzqgcskvgt_ml.jpg

This is, of course in addition to the yellow peril, not instead of, mind you. I think this is a smart, real world bike. It is not the Honda Sport-Bike company, it is Honda Motors.

Couldn't agree more, Timmy! This is what I've been trying to do to my 6th gen since I bought it. Turn it into a real, comfortable, long distance machine. Getting that bar/seat/peg relationship is nearly impossible, if not actually impossible on a 6th gen because of fairing interference with the bars. I'm still investigating an LSL Superbike Bar conversion, but to get the high bar requires new brake and clutch master cylinders, longer everything cables and modifications beyond my humble abilities to make it all work. I may just shell out the bucks to have it done as this bike is not likely to ever see our shores.

My motor/chassis with a truly comfortable riding position - want! Of course I would require the red one...

• Member Contributer

Well, I put my name in HONDA Netherland's virtual hat..... for a all expenses paid demo ride somewhere in a secret location (better be south europe somewhere).

Will let you know if they pull my name.... :biggrin:

With advancing entropy taking it's toll on my body, I have been looking at BMW's GS800. I wouldn't mind converting my existing 6th gen into a Crossrunner or ultimately replacing the old girl with the real deal.

• Member Contributer

I don't know, it looks weird to me. Not weird in a good way, but weird in a way which makes me think all Honda did was add a multi-purpose-ish looking fairing with odd dimensions. That headlight/screen combo looks puny and the handlebars look huge. And I can clearly see the VFR running gear below, it seems the new fairing was just bolted on without much thought going into dimensions or the purpose of this type of bike. I am going to be harsh and say it looks like a half-assed effort. It may look great in real life but I must say I liked the concept drawing much better.

It'd probably be a good bike but it's not a patch on Ducati MS which is much lighter and much more powerful (as well as expensive). And MS has a (very) small off-road ability, this seems to have none of that.

I like the 1200 version better, which at least looks the part...

I'm liking the ninja 1000. Wish it wasn't $10k.

+1, but with new model bike prices climbing quickly, $10k is starting to sound like a bargain for a new bike. :blink:

Crossrunner Spec list by Honda:

ENGINE

Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 16-valve DOHC 90° V-4

Displacement 782cm3

Bore x Stroke 72 x 48mm

Compression Ratio 11.6 : 1

Max. Power Output 74.9kW/10,000min-1 (95/1/EC)

Max. Torque 72.8Nm/9,500min-1 (95/1/EC)

Idling Speed 1,200min-1

Oil Capacity 3.8 litres

FUEL SYSTEM

Carburation PGM-FI electronic fuel injection

Throttle Bore 36mm

Aircleaner Oil-permeated, cartridge-type paper filter

Fuel Tank Capacity 21.5 litres

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Ignition System Computer-controlled digital transistorised with electronic advance

Ignition Timing 8° BTDC (idle) ~ 50° BTDC (1,200min-1)

Sparkplug Type IMR9D-9H (NGK); VNH27Z (DENSO)

Starter Electric

Battery Capacity 12V/11AH (YTZ-12S)

ACG Output 386W

Headlights 12V; 55W x 1 (low) / 55W x 1 (high)

DRIVETRAIN

Clutch Wet, multi-plate with coil springs

Clutch Operation Hydraulic

Transmission Type Constant mesh 6-speed

Primary Reduction 1.934 (64/33)

Gear Ratios

1 2.846 (37/13)

2 2.062 (33/16)

3 1.578 (30/19)

4 1.291 (31/24)

5 1.111 (30/27)

6 0.965 (28/29)

Final Reduction 2.687 (43/16)

Final Drive O-ring sealed chain

FRAME

Type Diamond; aluminium twin-spar; pivotless

CHASSIS

Dimensions (L x W x H) 2,130 x 799 x 1,243mm

Wheelbase 1,464mm

Caster Angle 25° 45'

Trail 96mm

Turning Radius 2.8m

Seat Height 816mm

Ground Clearance 140mm

Kerb Weight 240.4kg (F: 115.2kg; R: 125.2kg)

SUSPENSION

Type Front: 43mm cartridge-type telescopic fork with stepless preload adjustment, 165mm axle travel

Rear: Pro-Link with gas-charged HMAS damper, 7-step preload and stepless rebound damping adjustment, 145mm axle travel

WHEELS

Type

Front: 6-spoke cast aluminium

Rear: 5-spoke cast aluminium

Rim Size

Front: 17M/C x MT3.50

Rear: 17M/C x MT5.50

Tyre Size

Front: 120/70 R17

Rear: 180/55 R17

Tyre Pressure

Front: 225kPa

Rear: 250kPa

BRAKES

Type Front: 296mm dual floating hydraulic disc with 3-piston calipers, C-ABC and sintered metal pads

Rear: 256mm hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper, C-ABS and sintered metal pads

More info on all new 2011 bikes at http://hondamc2011.com/

Interesting but it looks like the suspension travel is about what a 5th or 6th gen has.

Not according to Honda, see above.

I voted "yes" b/c I think the new CrossRunner is basically a 6th gen with new skin.

Just based on looks, I have mixed feelings about the new bike. I kind of like it, but it's not the prettiest girl at the ball either. I'd really like to see a shot of the instruments, esp. since that's one of the best features of the 6th gen IMO.

• Member Contributer

I'd go with the red and probably paint all the silver/goldish bodywork to match the primary red and lose the Crossrunner emblem. After getting a good photoshop look at it of course...

Any PS ninjas want to give that a run? I'm thinking it would look sweet. I'd leave the black stuff black, but the intercrossing fairing piece and under the tail section would get a good Crimson treatment...

• Member Contributer

I think this is a smart, real world bike. It is not the Honda Sport-Bike company, it is Honda Motors.

+1.gif I'd love to see it with the accessory larger windscreen and luggage. It is def a contender for the replacement for my VFR, when the time comes. I've only had it a year, so it may be a while. But I'm definitely going to keep on top of this bike. And it's got the most important thing, the 6th gen motor, which I think is one of the best all around motors there is.

Archived