Tales of the Kung Fu GPS

timmythecop

• Member Contributer

here one in action. The Kung Fu is in a smaller case and is black, but the program and display is the same. (in english with a US map, mind you)

I like the interface and especially that little "ding" to get your attention before the instructions. Not bad at all for a Kung Fu GPS. May get one for the car.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here one in action. The Kung Fu is in a smaller case and is black, but the program and display is the same. (in english with a US map, mind you)

I like the interface and especially that little "ding" to get your attention before the instructions. Not bad at all for a Kung Fu GPS. May get one for the car.

Is this the unit we are discussing?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-3-5-GPS-SAT-NAV-MP3-MP4-2GB-SD-CARD-w-Free-Gift_W0QQitemZ290338735741QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Electronics_GPS?hash=item439989867d

Is this the unit we are discussing?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-3-5-GPS-SAT-NAV-MP3-MP4-2GB-SD-CARD-w-Free-Gift_W0QQitemZ290338735741QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Electronics_GPS?hash=item439989867d

Nope, this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KUNGFU-Super-Slim-4-3-GPS-Navigation-MP4-MP3-FM-AV-IN_W0QQitemZ250564633403QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item3a56d0e33b

be careful on the bidding. There is alot of shill bidding on these things, that make them go magically to 73 bucks from 99 cents. always the same bidder. so look around (there are hundreds of listings) and mebbee you can save a few bucks.

and for the crying.......6 bucks is 6 bucks.

I wonder how much work would be involved in waterproofing one - a bit of silicone, maybe some 3M stoneguard?

As for the shill-bidding - I'd just send a message directly to the seller offering to buy one at the entry price - usually they will agree, especially when they have a bunch of them to sell.

OK, this one...

.....DOES have a 3.5mm audio-out socket so can be used with headphones. It looks very similar to the 3.5" one that you've been discussing here and might be worth getting and putting it in a baggie or the top transparent pocket of my tank bag. I believe that someone said the 3.5" one uses IGO8, I'm hoping that this one does too. $75 and free shipping to Australia. Worth taking a punt, your reckon?

• Member Contributer

That's an IGO 8 main screen

Tarun - one drop of water and that CE computer is dead! Ram mount makes "ram boxes" that are waterproof

• Member Contributer

[

I cry every time I see the bike... there's a clean red bike under there somewhere, just waiting to come out! tongue.gif

................................Timmy the Cop.......sissy and Kung Fu Master. Kinda' rolls off the tongue........ +1.gif

.........................hey Seb......not all VFR's need to be.......pft red.....cool? :wheel:

• Member Contributer

The only think I have to say about GPS's is NEVER buy a TomTom. They're sh-t for quality and customer service!! :fing02:

The only think I have to say about GPS's is NEVER buy a TomTom. They're sh-t for quality and customer service!! :fing02:

That's odd...because I have LOVED mine. Of course I never needed their customer service, but I can't complain about the quality.

• Member Contributer

That's odd...because I have LOVED mine. Of course I never needed their customer service, but I can't complain about the quality.

Loved mine, before it got stolen............... :fing02:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Timmy,

What kind of battery life do you get with this - ie, how long can I walk around using it?

Glenn

OK laugh if you will, but I saved 935 bucks and I am navigating.

This GPS is on Ebay and they go from between 65 and 80 bucks. It comes from china. As far as I can tell it is either someone else's GPS remade into a plain wrapper, or some Chinese fela has figured out how to make em cheep.

• 2 months later...

Since the last posts, these units have gone up a little in price but still not bad considering the features and all of your great reviews.

I realize that they are WinCE units but are they "unlocked" as they say? In other words will I be able to add extras to it or is it a case of it just accepting the fact that you get what you pay for.

OK laugh if you will, but I saved 935 bucks and I am navigating.

This GPS is on Ebay and they go from between 65 and 80 bucks. It comes from china. As far as I can tell it is either someone else's GPS remade into a plain wrapper, or some Chinese fela has figured out how to make em cheep.

excellent sm.. I mean Timmy Sir. I shall check it out.

Don't forget, what kills cheap, or car-designed units is vibration and exposure to weather. So I'd keep that in mind for long term.

Cheerios!

Timmy, how do the FM transmitter and Bluetooth releate to one another?

I have a Cardo Scala Rider Q2 with bluetooth and FM radio...just wondering how this would work. Any idea based on your knowledge of the unit?

• Member Contributer

Hey Timmy,

Didn't this unit die on you during your ride to TMac because of the rain? Makes a good argument for a waterproof unit.

-Dino

I'll comment quick.. his didn't die... wx or otherwise... his has an odd habit of getting out of memory errors at random times... probably needs to re-load the SD chip is all... Neither of ours were wx proof, but survived the couple of rain bursts we had to deal w/ on the trip home well enough.. ya just need to keep moving and all... LOL

• Member Contributer

I gotta wonder how long these will be around...

I've got to imagine they're being loaded with:

- Pirated copy of Windows CE

- Pirated copy of the mapping software

- Pirated map set

Enjoy it till they get caught.. very very very hard for me to believe the device is 100% legal at that price.

As for the hardware.. it looks like it's got the same hardware as some of the garmin/TomTom units so I can agree with the whole "F Garmin"/"F TomTom" sentiment there.

If you get the 'out of memory' error with iGO, reboot with the volume+ button pressed, or do whatever you need to do to access the WinCE task bar on your device. You will see a gray bar across the bottom of the screen. Tap the bottom left corner with a stylus and the task bar will pop up. Then click Start>Settings>Control Panel. Double tap on System icon, then select the Memory tab. Drag the slider all the way to the left and click OK. Reboot and do it again. If that doesn't stop the out of memory errors, remove the 3D terrain and building files. They are just unnecessary eye candy, iGO will run faster without them.

• Member Contributer

Timmy, how do the FM transmitter and Bluetooth releate to one another?

I have a Cardo Scala Rider Q2 with bluetooth and FM radio...just wondering how this would work. Any idea based on your knowledge of the unit?

A Garmin Nuvi series GPS can't be paired with the Q2 (only the Zumo series can), so I doubt this knock-off can.

• Member Contributer

I gotta wonder how long these will be around...

I've got to imagine they're being loaded with:

- Pirated copy of Windows CE

- Pirated copy of the mapping software

- Pirated map set

Enjoy it till they get caught.. very very very hard for me to believe the device is 100% legal at that price.

As for the hardware.. it looks like it's got the same hardware as some of the garmin/TomTom units so I can agree with the whole "F Garmin"/"F TomTom" sentiment there.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm not a proponent of intellectual property theft or Patent infringement. No different than stealing the owners wallet.

• Member Contributer

I will be getting a Kungfu 4.3" soon. Any idea what cradle I can use to connect it to a RAM mount?

Quick questions:

Can you listen to the FM radio over Bluetooth with this unit? Also can you operate the radio while the GPS is active?

The answer to these questions will help me make up my mind....

• 3 weeks later...

OK, well, I bought the 5" version of this unit a couple of months ago, but only used it for the first time on the weekend. My wife and I did a trip to Sydney and the GPS was brilliant at navigating me through the somewhat confusing maze of streets that is the Eastern Suburbs. I deviated from the set route a couple of time using short cuts that I knew and it recalculated almost immediately and took into account my variations. The screen is large and easy to read and the instructions clear. I'm hoping to do an overnight bike tour soon and will give it a run in my tank bag and see how it goes there. Overall, though, a big "thumbs up" so far.

Archived