Tales of the Kung Fu GPS

timmythecop

After what I spent on my Zumo 550 that is dead on the floor beside of me (second one in two years) go Chinese and F Garmin.

What killed your Zumo?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it has bluetooth, but does it have a standard 3.5mm head phone connection?

No, it has the smaller one, but I had a ittie bittie-to-3.5 adaptor laying about.

oh, I can get you a UK female too!

Really, what does she look like? Recent pics? :biggrin:

Please put me down for some UK Females also,

and I might even get one of those GPSs!

as for as european females go, I can review the Dutch variety.n1224974224_304729_8564.jpg Highly recommended in fact. Yesterday my Dutch wife, Pien (above)was looking at this GPS and saw the top speed from my ride home from work that was 70mph. She pointed at it and looked at me and said "Sissy"

• Member Contributer

Yesterday my Dutch wife, Pien (above)was looking at this GPS and saw the top speed from my ride home from work that was 70mph. She pointed at it and looked at me and said "Sissy"

LOL - That is why I have not reset my Garmin in almost a year, it still has my Top Speed listed at 145 mph from a "commute" from Philly to Atlantic City last summer wink.gif

That KungFu GPS seems like a decent unit for the price, keep us posted how it works out. I really like my Zumo but want a GPS Unit in my car now so that might be a good option.

• Member Contributer

After what I spent on my Zumo 550 that is dead on the floor beside of me (second one in two years) go Chinese and F Garmin.

What killed your Zumo?

No idea. It won't come on, won't hard reset, nothing. This is the second unit in less than two years. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. I just hope that warranty company is not a scam job.

I will promise you this. If anyone ever brings up Garmin, I will speak of crappy quality. I know people with 3 and 4 year old cheapos that still work. For $700 this thing should last longer than my underwear.

• Member Contributer

The one plug is a video input plug for a backup camera. there is a 5" version available on ebay for $98

• Member Contributer

Since this is IGO there are multiple sites that specialize in modding the software. I have a Pioneer nav unit in my truck that I have modded with the help of AVIC411.com. You can definitely add voices and nice things like trip computers and speedcam alerts. This is dependant on if the flash drive is accessible with a testmode file. With my truck nav it got a brand new lease on life with the mods I've done to it. The maps are easily upgradeable too like what was said earlier in the thread. You just have to know how to root around in the IGO folders. I might get one of these just to experiment with modding IGO.

AVIC site: www.avic411.com

IGO site: www.igo8mods.com

GPS site: www.GPSUnderground.com

• Member Contributer

What killed your Zumo?

No idea. It won't come on, won't hard reset, nothing. This is the second unit in less than two years. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. I just hope that warranty company is not a scam job.

I will promise you this. If anyone ever brings up Garmin, I will speak of crappy quality. I know people with 3 and 4 year old cheapos that still work. For $700 this thing should last longer than my underwear.

You practically asked for it :biggrin:

I have a Nuvi 350, which I bought way back when they just came out for about 500 clams. It's been a bunch of years since (5 or 7 I don't remember) and it's never let me down. In fact it is by far the best gadget that I've ever spent the money on. I use it on the bike and even in the car, where I already have a GPS built in. Nuvi is just better.

Maybe Garmin outsourced their production to China and the quality went downhill.

In this case there really is no reason to pay a 1000 bucks for their products when you can get the job done for 50.

• Member Contributer

for a $650 (current zumo 660 price)

you get blue tooth stereo transmitter and waterproof. - true wireless.

• Member Contributer

for a $650 (current zumo 660 price)

you get blue tooth stereo transmitter and waterproof. - true wireless.

Same as the 550

today was actually well, well above freezing, but I spent the good weather working on the Yellow Peril instead of riding.

Now before I start, will the real electronic guys please not have a heart attack? I spent 6 bucks today.

The Kung Fu needed power to operate whilst on the bike. Just so happens that my cell phone car charger is also a USB type. So I ran the coiled charger under the tank.

012-3.jpg

013-3.jpg

then I mounted my 6 dollar fuse holder. The only difference with this el cheapo is you have to individually ground each accesory, but thats not too bad because now I dont have 2 wires making the long trip.

014-5.jpg

Put a relay I had left over from an aborted horn idea in there. I used the hot from the tag light as the trigger wire and the ground for the tag light as the ground for the relay.

016.jpg

I also had laying around an all weather cigar outlet with attached wires. I snugged it in there under the strap for the stock tool pouch to keep pressure on both sides to keep the plug from coming out.

019.jpg

020.jpg

and viola, Ive got switched power.

025-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

Not museum quality, but 6 bucks is 6 bucks. All this and my volt meter will be here in a few days. I guess when it arrives I'll double check everything down there as I wire the meter in.....

• Member Contributer

as for as european females go, I can review the Dutch variety.n1224974224_304729_8564.jpg Highly recommended in fact. Yesterday my Dutch wife, Pien (above)was looking at this GPS and saw the top speed from my ride home from work that was 70mph. She pointed at it and looked at me and said "Sissy"

This pic reminds me of those late 60's/early 70's movies about a modern day Bonnie 'n Clyde... all very Mod Squad-ish, hipster talk with awesome car chases.

• Member Contributer

as for as european females go, I can review the Dutch variety.

Highly recommended in fact. Yesterday my Dutch wife, Pien (above)was looking at this GPS and saw the top speed from my ride home from work that was 70mph. She pointed at it and looked at me and said "Sissy"

This pic reminds me of those late 60's/early 70's movies about a modern day Bonnie 'n Clyde... all very Mod Squad-ish, hipster talk with awesome car chases.

not much of a car chase if 'Sissy' can only eek out 70mph.

• Member Contributer

as for as european females go, I can review the Dutch variety.

Highly recommended in fact. Yesterday my Dutch wife, Pien (above)was looking at this GPS and saw the top speed from my ride home from work that was 70mph. She pointed at it and looked at me and said "Sissy"

not much of a car chase if 'Sissy' can only eek out 70mph.

and there it is.... SMACKDOWN! lol

So, Timmy rode all the way from DC to (and into) NYC to meet some of us at the bike show yesterday. Apparently the GPS worked VERY well, and got him there in record time. Until he tried to leave that is - damn thing wouldn't let him navigate out of Chinatown! :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...

OK laugh if you will, but I saved 935 bucks and I am navigating.

This GPS is on Ebay and they go from between 65 and 80 bucks. It comes from china. As far as I can tell it is either someone else's GPS remade into a plain wrapper, or some Chinese fela has figured out how to make em cheep.

It came with maps of North America on a 2 gig SD card. It plays mp3, mp4, flash, jpeg, has 8 games, a unit converter,a calculator, a blue tooth cellphone command head and it is touch screen. Has day and night colour options.

It is just a little hard to navigate the menus, but it seems to have all the features of the more expensive jobs. It is adjustable for 2D or 3D viewing and has time to destination, arrival time, speed, average speed, time stopped, average driving speed and tels you when you go over the speed limit. (this can be disabled). You can choose among 16 languages and there are 5 choices for english (sadly, no UK female in english).

It powers up quickly, aquires quickly, and is accurate.

Perfect for tossing round if you have a valuable cray super-computer on your dashboard for adventures. For what I need it for, it is more than enough. I actualy really like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KUNGFU-Super-Slim-4-3-GPS-Navigation-MP4-MP3-FM-AV-IN_W0QQitemZ250552811565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item3a561c802d

Screen Size

4.3’’ TFT LCD Touch Screen

Dimensions

120*80*15mm

Weight

About 180g

Main Language

English, Cestina, Dansk, Deutsch, Espanol, Finland, Francais, Greece, Italiano, Magyar, Nederlands, Norsk, Polski, Portugues, Roman, Russian, Slovenka, Suimi, Svenska and Turkce

Skin

Black with white edge

CPU

ATLAS â…¢ AT640 400MHz

Memory

64MB SDRAM

Operation System

WinCE 5.0

Antenna

Built-in folded antenna

Memory Card

Applicable for a Maximum up to 8GBSD card

Screen Color

65K colors

Dot Matrix Display

480*272

Extension Slot

SD

Battery Type

Built-in Li-Polymer Battery

Battery Capacity

950mAh

Thanks man! I just bought the 3.5" model, as it looked to be a bit better built? Will see. For $66., if I dont like it, I can regift it!

• Member Contributer

One nice feature is the ability to create offline routes and download them.

In IGO 8 it is a .kml file

I have a tool that converts most mapping programs to this.

As a test I mapped a run from here to north bay and back in google maps captured and converted it and ran the route.

I also have the canada map for this unit too.

If anyone is interested PM me.

Archived