Tales of the Kung Fu GPS

timmythecop

OK laugh if you will, but I saved 935 bucks and I am navigating.

This GPS is on Ebay and they go from between 65 and 80 bucks. It comes from china. As far as I can tell it is either someone else's GPS remade into a plain wrapper, or some Chinese fela has figured out how to make em cheep.

It came with maps of North America on a 2 gig SD card. It plays mp3, mp4, flash, jpeg, has 8 games, a unit converter,a calculator, a blue tooth cellphone command head and it is touch screen. Has day and night colour options.

It is just a little hard to navigate the menus, but it seems to have all the features of the more expensive jobs. It is adjustable for 2D or 3D viewing and has time to destination, arrival time, speed, average speed, time stopped, average driving speed and tels you when you go over the speed limit. (this can be disabled). You can choose among 16 languages and there are 5 choices for english (sadly, no UK female in english).

It powers up quickly, aquires quickly, and is accurate.

Perfect for tossing round if you have a valuable cray super-computer on your dashboard for adventures. For what I need it for, it is more than enough. I actualy really like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KUNGFU-Super-Slim-4-3-GPS-Navigation-MP4-MP3-FM-AV-IN_W0QQitemZ250552811565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item3a561c802d

Screen Size

4.3 TFT LCD Touch Screen

Dimensions

120*80*15mm

Weight

About 180g

Main Language

English, Cestina, Dansk, Deutsch, Espanol, Finland, Francais, Greece, Italiano, Magyar, Nederlands, Norsk, Polski, Portugues, Roman, Russian, Slovenka, Suimi, Svenska and Turkce

Skin

Black with white edge

CPU

ATLAS Ⅲ AT640 400MHz

Memory

64MB SDRAM

Operation System

WinCE 5.0

Antenna

Built-in folded antenna

Memory Card

Applicable for a Maximum up to 8GBSD card

Screen Color

65K colors

Dot Matrix Display

480*272

Extension Slot

SD

Battery Type

Built-in Li-Polymer Battery

Battery Capacity

950mAh

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For $80 I'm really interested, how resistant is it to water? And do you think it would be a good enough replacement for a speedo (for instance if someone wants to get rid of a front wheel cable driven speedometer for some modern forks on a NT650)?

I think water is not so good on this one. But nothing a RAM aquabox or a zip loc sammich bag couldnt remedy. The map updates is prolly the biggest down point. But the guy I bought it from is e-mailing me the map of europe so I can use it while I am in Holland. Maybe he can e-mail me updates??

Is this the info you asked about Burns? ATLAS Ⅲ AT640 400MHz

• Member Contributer

I recognize the screen, it is IGO map n go. I can set you up with map updates 4ever - GPS passion website has links. I run this package on mine too.

it will die instantly if one drop of water gets in it, but so will a non-waterproof garmin.

The IGO package is very flexible, the three info fields are configurable, supports routes etc. I have a software manual too if you don't.

can the battery be replaced?

does it support a spare battery?

Bluetooth stereo to a Bluetooth headset?

how is it in sunlight?

did it come with a mount?

• Member Contributer

if you press the speedo on the screen, you will get a big speedo in the center of the stats screen

if you press the speedo on the screen, you will get a big speedo in the center of the stats screen

i just figured that out. Also just found the feature where you can get line by line detailed instruction with either left or right icons or a compas that has east west, etc. i am glad i ran into somebody who knows what this is. It will help. One problem is the instructions were limited at best. While I have you, I have a question: Can I save the info from the 2gig SD card onto a zip drive, and then reload them on a 8gig card to have more space for music?

PS, just found the UK ladies in there.................

Now I get it.......this is just a box that has a processer in it with the iGO application loaded into it. Right? petty cool. I checked online with iGO, and it is deffinately the same thing.

• Member Contributer

Is this the info you asked about Burns? ATLAS Ⅲ AT640 400MHz

that would be the CPU I believe. from my LIMITED knowledge, there are two major mapsets... either Navteq (think Garmin) or TeleAtlas (TomTom).. if that's using the iGo stuff, I guess you'd just find a download for the mapset you'd prefer. Just was curious which one it came w/.

• Member Contributer

Navteq

it is a WinCE computer with a serial connection to a GPS. When it boots, it looks for the start info on the card and loads IGO.

Copy all data on the 2 gig card as a backup on a DVD. copy the dvd to an 8 gig card and your set. I have a movie player for it too.

Usually it has hardware volume buttons and if you hold both while booting, you'll be at the win ce desktop.

the menu button on the right is your friend. pm me an address and i'll send a manual. Routes are NOT intative.

settings info will tell you how new your maps are.

This IS the GPS hackers favorite package - very customizable if your into it.

did it com with a mount or charger?

they usually need a safety rubber band for deals gap type riding

Came with a cigarette lighter to usb charger and a euro 220 prong wall charger.

The mount is pretty good, but i removed the suction cup and stalk part to use the cradle on my bike mount. i put velcro on the back and velcro on a blank part of my truck's gauge cluster for auto use.

The case has screws, but I doubt the battery is easily replaceable.

Ive got a marine cigarette outlet that I am going to wire to my bike, so thats done.

oh, I can get you a UK female too!

Really, what does she look like? Recent pics? :fing02:

Please put me down for some UK Females also,

and I might even get one of those GPSs!

• Member Contributer

After what I spent on my Zumo 550 that is dead on the floor beside of me (second one in two years) go Chinese and F Garmin.

Archived