Tales of the Kung Fu GPS

timmythecop

• Member Contributer

I'm going Chinese too. I ordered a 7" KUNGFU for $158US, should arrive soon. Didn't notice the one with the 4Gig memory card installed for an extra $5 until after I ordered.

New 7'' GPS Navigation+2G Card+Bluetooth+AV IN+FM+MP4

It claims "Waterproof". If that just means somewhat resistant to drips I'll be happy.

Here's their store, the link above dies with the auction:

http://www.auctiva.c...ter=7&page=home

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

My 7" Kungfu arrived, 10 days from China, but the package was pretty beat up. Go for the $5 "original box" option - it came bare in a bubble pack envelope.

GPS doesn't work, it can't find the internal GPS receiver so I get to see how good their tech support is. I'll share as it unfolds.

[edit] - They got back immediately (within 10 minutes) with instructions, the GPS was set for port 1 but it was actually on port 2.

So far I like the size/user interface, but it is not water resistant ("waterproof", not at all). Also not very readable in daylight.

• 3 months later...

well, after a year, I can say that I really like the Kung Fu GPS and it is chock full of features. It really suited me UNTIL...it started going wonky. It stopped having any volume at any setting (got it back once, but it left again), it wont remember settings when you turn it off (goes back to KMs each time it turns off) and it shows a "memory error' all the time that requires you to turn it off and back on again to clear it. My guess is that the vibration caused this and it really is a shame because this thing is SOOO much more gps than 70 bucks. I'm actually kinda bummed that I had to retire it because I liked everything about it.

So I bought a GPS right here on VFRD. It isnt the newest or best, but it is a solid, working Garmin streetpilot. The only real downside to this unit is its size, but who really cares anyway. Plus Garmin has plenty of support and accessories so there you are. I re-used the techmount because I am too lazy to buy a longer RAM stalk, but I like where it is and she is my new map.

Feel free to poke fun of installation:

006-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well, I really liked my Kung Fu too, especially the neat 5" screen size....until....I decided that I needed to upgrade the maps. No way can I convince ANY of my computers to recognise the device (1 does, but when you look at the device in Windows explorer you can see it but not browse its contents). None of the computers will allow Windows Mobile centre to load up and display the contents of the device and Naviextras, the software that allows you to download the maps says that the device is NOT connected when it patently is. I have emailed the supplier and have been met with a deafening silence. To say that I am disappointed would be an understatement as everything else about it is just terrific.

Archived