Rock The Gear

billyjackjimbob

• Member Contributer

Have you ever known someone for years and never known they were.... well, somewhat of a celebrity? That happened to me just this past week.

I have known Brit for a couple of years now and I knew she was in a bad crash and had been rashed up pretty good. I didn't know, that her story had been published in multiple moto mags and received over 10 million hits on the internet.

To make a long story short she was at a party for a mutual friend and wearing a "Rock the Gear" shirt. I made the comment I liked it and was a strong believer in gear. She said, "yeah it's from my web site." http://www.rockthegear.org/ You can imagine the dumbfounded look on my face as another friend was like... you know, The Roadrash Queen? Duh!

Anyway, I was totally clueless that our Brit in Lexington, KY was THAT Brit. Wow... small world. Anyway, please check out her site. I believe you will find her story amazing if you have not read it. It will stick with you for ever. Reading it is one thing, having her talk to you about it is completely another. Make sure to sign up "register" with the site because they give gear away. Also it would be a great boost to her to see how many people are supporting her efforts.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Member Contributer

Man I just read her story and all I could think the whole time was "F*******ck!"

We have our fair share of squids here in Australia, but the rising problem now is the large number of scooters and the lack of protective gear; we must legally wear a helmet but that's all.

All vehicle registration in my state includes statutory injury insurance as part of your registration fee. If you crash, the government pays for all of your healthcare regardless of if you are at fault. However this only applies if you are driving a registered vehicle and have a valid license.

Anyway as a sign of things to come, the organisation responsible for the insurance (the Transport Accident Commission, or "TAC") has started to reduce payouts for injuries to riders who were not wearing appropriate protection. What is unclear at the moment is what they mean by "appropriate". Every day I wear draggin chinos (draggin jeans which look like suit pants), helmet, gloves, and a textile jacket with armour, but nobody is sure yet if the draggin chinos are considered appropriate.

The thing that scares me the most is that she actually blew off the back of the bike! How does that happen?

It would kill me if my wife blew off the back of my bike, so does anyone know how this could have happened? Maybe he was going 150+?

I know the moral of the story is to wear gear, and I agree, but first I'd like to know how to keep her on!

Trouble is that those who need to see this are least likely to do so! I am going to speak with my state DMV people about listing this in the material that all M/C licensee applicants receive. (I do lobbying for a living so I know who to talk too) +1.gif

• Member Contributer

I read her story awhile back and was just amazed by it.

Problem is soooo many people will read it and think, "that'll never happen to me. Why do I need gear to run over to my buddies place". It is, however, important to keep talking about it.

I find that it is very hard to get girls to gear up properly, they trust me too much for some reason. I always make them read Brittney's store when they refuse to do so. Probably one of the most difficult articles I've ever had to read.

• Member Contributer

I remember reading her story back when it first came out. I was just getting into riding at that time and this was one of the inspirations for my decision to ATGATT.

Several years and a couple of get-offs later, I am still here and in one piece thanks to the gear.

Trying to re-read her story today, I felt completely different having gone through the experience myself.

I am greatful to Brit and others like her for educating nubes like myself. +1.gif

I had to stop reading it.... Made me sick.. I have rash, from the bicyle, a few pretty bad from 30mph, slides across the pavement.. Man it hurts for weeks sometimes months..

I think all new riders need to read the story.

I never get on the bike without all my gear.. ever... And I still think I don't have enough. I worry about not enough neck support...

+1.gif That's a good site with some good stories. Perhaps, my friend (he rides a cruiser) will finally understand the importance of gear. But I am sure he will say that doesn't look cool. It amazes me that "most" crusier types won't wear proper gear because of the status quo. They feel like to fit-in they must wear a tank top and blue jeans and a bandanda....strange...

Perhaps, my friend (he rides a cruiser) will finally understand the importance of gear. But I am sure he will say that doesn't look cool. It amazes me that "most" crusier types won't wear proper gear because of the status quo. They feel like to fit-in they must wear a tank top and blue jeans and a bandanda....strange...

Yep, it's so much more important to conform than to protect yourself.

That "gear doesn't look cool" attitude is way too common, whether it's cruiser or sportbike riders. Freakin' sheep. BAAAA! Ya know what, severe road rash, laying in a coma or requiring a closed coffin doesn't look cool either. sad.gif

Proper riding gear, OTOH, looks very cool to me. +1.gif

Several riders from VFRD alone have hit the pavement in recent days. And AFAIK none of them have sustained major injuries or even road rash larger than a couple square inches. Gear works!

• Member Contributer

She is very outspoken on the topic and it is her passion. And yes she made Killboy's front page this week. I hope everyone will take the time to register on her site and help boost the roster. She's trying to be, as she would say "a horrible example."

Kevin

• Member Contributer
The thing that scares me the most is that she actually blew off the back of the bike! How does that happen?

It would kill me if my wife blew off the back of my bike, so does anyone know how this could have happened? Maybe he was going 150+?

I know the moral of the story is to wear gear, and I agree, but first I'd like to know how to keep her on!

I think the dude did a wheelie. Don't do any wheelies with your wife on the back! +1.gif

Me too. Amazed that after all that she'd been through so got on a bike again wearing just motorcycle fashion (jeans and some poor Icon stuff) not proper gear.

Icon makes good quality Helmets and leathers. My Icon jacket is far better quality than my Alpinestars. Their mesh stuff is better than some and worse than others.

I think the dude did a wheelie. Don't do any wheelies with your wife on the back! :biggrin:

Me too. Amazed that after all that she'd been through so got on a bike again wearing just motorcycle fashion (jeans and some poor Icon stuff) not proper gear.

Icon makes good quality Helmets and leathers. My Icon jacket is far better quality than my Alpinestars. Their mesh stuff is better than some and worse than others.

Really? I think Icon's stuff is junk compared to AS. I had a pair of Icon gloves that lasted four months and the stiching came apart. My friend, had the same pair and his lasted two months, quality control is not there. I also think they spend too much time advertising for the "young" riders with girls posing in nice positions and such versus making quality gear. I've had my AS boots for three years---no problems and still comfy. I will say I have enjoyed my Icon Super Duty 2 boots but I also only paid $45 for them! To each his own but beware of Icon IMHO! Oh and I have yet to see Icon place a CE on their products.

EDIT: I just read the latest issue of Motorcyclist and it appears Icon now has CE rated items. I am sure some of their products are decent but two pairs of gloves failing in a short amount of time and usage were enough for me. I still have my $10 Joe Rocket specials I got from new enough some time ago...

• Member Contributer

While I do not know her, I heard Brit's story a few years ago. Very sad and yet inspirational. It's really cool to hear about her again and to see the positive outcome that she is having on the riding community. Wicked cool stuff she's up to!

I agree Icon's stuff is junk... at least what I had purchased of it. HOWEVER, I'd rather see squids wearing some type of gear as opposed to shorts, t-shirt and flip flops!

I think the girl with all the road rash, her boy friend popped a wheelie at speed and she wasnt hanging on very tightly, caught her off guard not expecting it. He also didnt go back for her, as I recall.

• Member Contributer
I agree Icon's stuff is junk... at least what I had purchased of it. HOWEVER, I'd rather see squids wearing some type of gear as opposed to shorts, t-shirt and flip flops!

+1!

I remember a few months back a bunch of angry letters to Motorcyclist for airing an Icon ad with 2 women in a mildly sexually explicit pose. I figure, hey, if it gets people in gear.

I'm also encouraged to see less gear that make riders look like Power Rangers.

I remember seeing pics after the fall, and some major nasty rash.

You don't get to be queen for nothing. :blink:

A serious ad for ATTGATT. I'd rather sweat than bleed. :biggrin:

Archived