Ok It's On! Vtec Track Bike Project

Baileyrock

Well I decided to go ahead and start the project of converting my 04 vtec Parts bike into a hooligan style track bike. Here's the starting pile of junk!

vfrtrackproject09004.jpg

I chose the hooligan upright style mostly because of the cost factor and it should end up lighter than a full bodied racer overall. No GSXR forks on this one, I'll be using a set of CBR F4i forks I already have which will not only give me fully adjustable forks, but allow me to use VFR rotors, axle, trees and either a VFR or F4i wheel. I'll revale & respring the forks and come up with a decent rear shock and make it longer plus have some 5mm shims to make more rake changes.

I have many ideas already in my head for this project and may even change to a single front mount radiator if possible. This would clean up the looks on the sides and get ride of those vulnerable side rads. I will strip every ounce I can find including all the linked brake system which should remove at least 10lbs right there!

Also plan on running a much larger oil cooler(at least twice as big) to help keep the beast happy at none stop track speeds!

Ram Air has a good possible future here also! :wheel:

Getting started. :wheel:

vfrtrackproject09008.jpg

vfrtrackproject09009.jpg

vfrtrackproject09011.jpg

Sould be a fun project! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I'm interested to see your brake setup once you get rid of the linked brakes :fing02:

Do like the Aprilia Mille vs the Tuono.

Strip off the bodywork. Put a bikini over the rads and nads.

Put on a taller sit up and beg motoX type handlebar. :laugh:

VFR vs BRs VFR fighter. BRAAAAAP! +1.gif

Well I had a ready Big day in my track bike project. Can't believe the HUGE advances I'm made in just one day.

The list is as follows:

- Inverted forks with Radial brakes

- Radial master cyl.

- Major weight reduction

- GP style low stubby exhaust

- Advanced electronics

- 30 plus HP gain

- just an awesome pkg.

All in one day! Here is what it looks like today!

07GSXR750trackbike09001.jpg

:biggrin: I stoled this bike, couldn't believe what I got it for! :goofy:

It's a 2007 GSXR750 with only a few thousand miles on it before someone crashed it, I bought it as is and it has a Non-Repairable Title which is fine with me for a track bike.

Sounds crazy to be buying a bike w/o a job, but if I need to I could sell this in a few days for twice what I paid for it. :goofy:

So if I have to I'll flip it and take the money I will, but if I get a job it will become my track ho! It's exactly what I was hoping to move up to whenever the time came. A win/win for me. :biggrin:

The hooligan VFR track project will still go forward as I have most parts I need to do so. :ohmy:

What warrants a non-repairable title?

That's what I was wondering... Ruined frame maybe?

No it's fairly simple and stupid here in TN at the same time!

Motorcycles are exempt form Salvage laws as are cars older than 10 years old, so here in TN a crashed bike either comes with a Good Title or a Non-repairable and there seems to be no rhyme or reason which one it gets.

My 2000 VFR I bought had 200 miles on it when I bought it and for around $3000 total I brought it back to like new cond. but it had a Non-repairable title. I had to buy a titled frame and change it out 2 years later when I wanted to sell it. My 02 was about in the same cond. and had a Good Title! :blink:

I've seen bikes with a few scratches at the Ins. Auctions have Non-Repairable titles and I've bought a blob of melted alloys that was once a Yamaha R6 and it had a Good Title, it just makes no sense whatsoever.

But it is TN! tongue.gif

Motorcycles are exempt form Salvage laws as are cars older than 10 years old, so here in TN a crashed bike either comes with a Good Title or a Non-repairable and there seems to be no rhyme or reason which one it gets.

My 2000 VFR I bought had 200 miles on it when I bought it and for around $3000 total I brought it back to like new cond. but it had a Non-repairable title. I had to buy a titled frame and change it out 2 years later when I wanted to sell it. My 02 was about in the same cond. and had a Good Title! :blink:

I've seen bikes with a few scratches at the Ins. Auctions have Non-Repairable titles and I've bought a blob of melted alloys that was once a Yamaha R6 and it had a Good Title, it just makes no sense whatsoever.

But it is TN! tongue.gif

Hmm, I have a clean title 2006 GSXR600 that the 750 engine would slide right into. :blink:

I've already been accused of having one in it, so if people are going to accuse me, it might as well be true, right? :laugh:

If you come across any more smoking deals like that, give me a shout.

What warrants a non-repairable title?

That's what I was wondering... Ruined frame maybe?

But it is TN! tongue.gif

I was asked just today how it is decided what has a salvage title and what has a good title, and I said the same thing : "No one knows"

My 2000 was wrecked by the previous owner. Usual dodywork issues, broken collant bottle and a scratch on the id plate on the frame. Insurance totaled it and I bought it fir 1800 bucks with a normal title. 400 bucks later, it is as you may have seen it.

• Member Contributer
Well I had a ready Big day in my track bike project. Can't believe the HUGE advances I'm made in just one day.

The list is as follows:

- Inverted forks with Radial brakes

- Radial master cyl.

- Major weight reduction

- GP style low stubby exhaust

- Advanced electronics

- 30 plus HP gain

- just an awesome pkg.

All in one day! Here is what it looks like today!

07GSXR750trackbike09001.jpg

:blink: I stoled this bike, couldn't believe what I got it for! :ph34r:

It's a 2007 GSXR750 with only a few thousand miles on it before someone crashed it, I bought it as is and it has a Non-Repairable Title which is fine with me for a track bike.

Sounds crazy to be buying a bike w/o a job, but if I need to I could sell this in a few days for twice what I paid for it. :cool:

So if I have to I'll flip it and take the money I will, but if I get a job it will become my track ho! It's exactly what I was hoping to move up to whenever the time came. A win/win for me. :blink:

The hooligan VFR track project will still go forward as I have most parts I need to do so. :laugh:

My mother always told me "never ask how much someone paid for something" :cool: But she aint here so how much ?

My mother always told me "never ask how much someone paid for something" :laugh: But she aint here so how much ?

I'll never tell, one of you may be a future buyer! :blink:

• Member Contributer
My mother always told me "never ask how much someone paid for something" :blink: But she aint here so how much ?

I'll never tell, one of you may be a future buyer! :blink:

Good deal BR! Keep us posted! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

That looks like it will be REALLY fun on track days. I have ridden a recent 750 Gixxer and it is a great machine light,and fast with telepathic handling. That being said I think you bought the best one out there because the whole time I was on the one I rode all I could think is WOW what a track bike. I would not want one for the street though because it is not very comfortable and it makes me want to ride harder than I should on the road ( My fault, not the bikes " POOR IMPULSE CONTROL"). I would love to run into a cheap one for the track though. Good Luck with it :blink:

That looks like it will be REALLY fun on track days. I have ridden a recent 750 Gixxer and it is a great machine light,and fast with telepathic handling. That being said I think you bought the best one out there because the whole time I was on the one I rode all I could think is WOW what a track bike. I would not want one for the street though because it is not very comfortable and it makes me want to ride harder than I should on the road ( My fault, not the bikes " POOR IMPULSE CONTROL"). I would love to run into a cheap one for the track though. Good Luck with it :blink:

The 06/07 gsxr 750 was my dream track bike , I was thinking I could maybe afford a 04/05 750 when I had a job. It is also a track tool that would allow me to entertain Racing in WERA. :cool: I never wanted to be in the Meat Grider 600 class especially at 53 years old, so the 750 would allow me to run other classes and with liter bikes instead of 45 next Rossi's on a 600. :cool:

My old F4i was a great bike and even at a modded 100 rwhp couldn't run with even the current 600's were 115hp isn't hard to achieve with just headers & PCIII. I could still pass these guys and the liter bikes, it's just a lot more work and time consuming. :ph34r: But I guess that's half the fun! :laugh:

I look forward to upping the mph in my avatar! :blink:

• Member Contributer
The 06/07 gsxr 750 was my dream track bike , I was thinking I could maybe afford a 04/05 750 when I had a job. It is also a track tool that would allow me to entertain Racing in WERA. :blink: I never wanted to be in the Meat Grider 600 class especially at 53 years old, so the 750 would allow me to run other classes and with liter bikes instead of 45 next Rossi's on a 600. :laugh:

I hear you. Unfortunately the MRA allows the 600's to run in GTO so it's even worse than GTU. Nothing like going into turn 1 on the start at Pueblo with 40+ guys riding all kinds of crazy lines jockeying for position. Nice score on the 750. You'll really like it. The handling of the 600 with about 20% more power. I think 750cc is the perfect size for a track bike. Not as peaky as the 600 and not as overwhelming with the power like the 1000. I'll be taking mine out to the new track in Byers on Wednesday for the first time. I'll probably post up some video afterwards.

Dirk