Trailer Hitch

Guest SammySnow

Guest SammySnow

Has anyone mounted a trailer hitch "kit" or built a custom hitch for the 94-97 750? Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

I wouldnt trailer anything behind these bikes. I'm sure they arent setup for pulling. When my dad bought his Honda Shadow 1100cc he was told not to put a hitch on cause his bike wasnt geared for hauling.

• Member Contributer
Has anyone mounted a trailer hitch "kit" or built a custom hitch for the 94-97 750? Thanks in advance!

Sammy, are you up there with those Canadians smoking some of that organic herb they are becoming famous for :biggrin:

If your serious about pulling something ya may wanna look at a Goldwing, Viffers aren't built with pulling in mind.

• Member Contributer
I wouldnt trailer anything behind these bikes. I'm sure they arent setup for pulling. When my dad bought his Honda Shadow 1100cc he was told not to put a hitch on cause his bike wasnt geared for hauling.
Sammy, are you up there with those Canadians smoking some of that organic herb they are becoming famous for :goofy:

If your serious about pulling something ya may wanna look at a Goldwing, Viffers aren't built with pulling in mind.

Ranger and Aussie are right. VFR's have high-revving engines and aren't known for their torque. Not a good combination for towing.

I once had a Spirit 1100 and while its engine neither revved high nor lacked torque, it was geared high. The Sabre 1100 would have been a better choice because of its lower gearing.

Keep in mind your safety is our primary concern. That being said, welcome to the forum!

I don't see a problem with towing. If the hitch is built right, there's no reason it won't work and last a long time. if two heavy people can tour on one with luggage loaded and not hurt it, if I can beat on mine, if Baileyrock can run the snot out of his and never check the valves, then I think this guy will be just fine with a properly constructed trailer.

I would opt for a smaller one with a single wheel, over a larger one with two. You can probably find a small slender car top carrier and build a frame under it.

There's also a pic of a guy floating around somewhere, riding a VTEC with a Unigo trailer. Apparently he put lots of miles on his...

I'm with Seb on this one, I've seen it done, there are a few VFRs out there pulling trailers, the uniwheeled trailers especially.

• Member Contributer

I know I've seen some photos on here through the years of a VFR at Deals Gap with a Uni Go. Anybody remember who/where?

Uni Go link doesn't list a VFR hitch but it doesn't seem impossible to fabricate. - - - http://www.uni-go.com/

EDIT: Their website does picture a CBR.......

• Member Contributer
I don't see a problem with towing. If the hitch is built right, there's no reason it won't work and last a long time. if two heavy people can tour on one with luggage loaded and not hurt it, if I can beat on mine, if Baileyrock can run the snot out of his and never check the valves, then I think this guy will be just fine with a properly constructed trailer.

I would opt for a smaller one with a single wheel, over a larger one with two. You can probably find a small slender car top carrier and build a frame under it.

There's also a pic of a guy floating around somewhere, riding a VTEC with a Unigo trailer. Apparently he put lots of miles on his...

Not worried about the hitched. Worried about tranny gears exploding.

Co-worker said he saw a motorcycle pulling a boat the other day....looked like an aluminum Bass Tracker boat. :unsure:

Wish I could have seen that. I always said that the Intruder 1400 my dad used to have could have pulled a boat, didn't think I would have ever heard of anyone actually doing it though.

JUST ADMIT IT GUYS! MOST OF US DON'T WANT TO LET ANYONE PUT ANY VFR THROUGH THE INDIGNITY OF PULLING A TRAILER!! tongue.gif

.................Although that interesting Blackbird setup might be acceptable :unsure:

Beck

95 VFR

I'm not.

As long as he's not pulling a boat with it( :unsure: ), he'll be fine. Look at that little Uni-Go trailer on the Blackbird. Unless you fill it with lead, how much weight are you going to put in there?? Now take the trailer out of the equation, and put two people weighing 200lbs on the bike, and ride it hard. What hurts it more?

• Member Contributer

I'm not.

As long as he's not pulling a boat with it( :unsure: ), he'll be fine. Look at that little Uni-Go trailer on the Blackbird. Unless you fill it with lead, how much weight are you going to put in there?? Now take the trailer out of the equation, and put two people weighing 200lbs on the bike, and ride it hard. What hurts it more?

+1.

It is a manual transmission, nothing really to wear out except the clutch, which if pulling less than 500 pounds wouldn't be an issue anyway.

If the engine is lugging, just downshift and keep it in a lower gear and burn some extra gas. When pulling my enclosed trailer with my truck I use 4th gear (instead of overdrive 5th) and run about 3000 rpm at 70mph while getting 9mpg :unsure: .

• Member Contributer

If you don't think a motorcycle can tow a car, take a look at this link: click here.

A fellow in Sweden has developed the Retriever for a Goldwing to tow cars. Pretty cool.

• Member Contributer
If you don't think a motorcycle can tow a car, take a look at this link: click here.

A fellow in Sweden has developed the Retriever for a Goldwing to tow cars. Pretty cool.

Well ya, its setup to do that.

Pulling a boat I can understand a little bit because you are backing the trailer down hill when you are launching and retrieving, but what about if you need to back up a hill, or even on flat ground? Sometimes there just isn't a substitute for a truck.

• Member Contributer
wpe1A.jpg

The extra 37 HP would help I think.

I had something a little larger in mind. Yes a VFR can pull that.

A Boss Hoss could handle pulling the weight of that Gold Wing and car combined. I still wouldn't do it, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I know I've seen some photos on here through the years of a VFR at Deals Gap with a Uni Go. Anybody remember who/where?

I think this is the photo you are thinking of.

Francois

VFR_Unigo3and4.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

:biggrin:

I've put many miles on a VFR with a rider/passenger weight in excess of 375lbs..........no problems as of yet. Seems like a small trailer would be fine.

post-1168-1209669922.jpg

post-1168-1244316945.jpg

This combination has done quite some miles two up, including riding the mountains (No not the Dutch mountains, the French mountains) . This year the guy (made the hitch himself) installed disc brakes to the trailer.

More pics here

• Member Contributer

Just what we need--another bloody Dutchman towing a caravanette through Europe! :cool:

Ciao,

• 5 months later...

I made it 140 miles

Here's Mike pulling up the driveway (note: I always use that weird voice with my son):

And here he is heading out on his way back home:

And again heading down the highway. Note the riding position!

Archived