Listening To Music

Guest Nealyweely

• Member Contributer

I sing, usually some random song that I have rattling around in my head, you know the song that you hear on the clock radio in the morning and it stays in your head. My riding buddy knows that I do this so before we strap on the helmets he blurts out "I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world, c'mon barbie lets go party" then I curse him the rest of the ride. I think I need a new riding buddy.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sing, usually some random song that I have rattling around in my head, you know the song that you hear on the clock radio in the morning and it stays in your head. My riding buddy knows that I do this so before we strap on the helmets he blurts out "I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world, c'mon barbie lets go party" then I curse him the rest of the ride. I think I need a new riding buddy.

Damn you

• Member Contributer

Damn you

Effective isn't it?

I have to wear plugs or buds. With the music at reasonably loud level I can hear way more than with earplugs. Earplugs block more sound for me.

I have a pair of sony's that I modified with a foam tip.

...Life in plastic, it's fantastic! You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere. Imagination, life is your creation....

Dammit, it's stuck in my head now... <_<

Yes i used to sing in my head too, until I spent 2 hours singing "Bambadam, whoa, black betty" repeat, repeat, repeat...no i need the music smile.gif

• Member Contributer

I have the Scala Rider Team unit, which is Blue tooth and a blue tooth transmitter for my Sirius radio, stays in the helmet and lets me use normal ear plugs still. Works great and if you do get pulled over by a LEO you don't have a wire hanging out of your helmet for him to see :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Yes i used to sing in my head too, until I spent 2 hours singing "Bambadam, whoa, black betty" repeat, repeat, repeat...no i need the music smile.gif

:lol:

Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)

Black betty had a child (bam-ba-lam)

The damn thing gone wild (bam-ba-lam)

She said, "i'm worryin' outta mind" (bam-ba-lam)

The damn thing gone blind (bam-ba-lam)

I said oh, black betty (bam-ba-lam)

I am with Melvis...I almost got splattered one day making a turn (20 years ago) on the road bicycle (with music playing from my cassette player) because I couldn't hear the light rustle of a car coming up on me at 25mph. Never again. I wear ear plugs to protect the hearing but can still hear enough to be safe. I LOVE MUSIC. I LIVE FOR MUSIC. I am a musician (hobby). But, I devote my full attention to music when I DO listen. Most Americans do too many things at once...we rarely give our full attention to anything. You'll enjoy yourself and learn more if you do ONE THING at a time. Be present! It is the best thing you can do.

AH GOOD KARMA!

I always wear something in my ears; the majority of the time I wear the 33dB plugs because I can get them from work, but I will also throw in some music. The Shure E2c's are amazing earbuds and with their foam inserts I can have the volume low enough so as to not cause damage to my hearing, yet still hear traffic. It basically blocks the wind noise and higher frequency stuff so I do like this option a lot.

I have the Scala Rider Team unit, which is Blue tooth and a blue tooth transmitter for my Sirius radio, stays in the helmet and lets me use normal ear plugs still. Works great and if you do get pulled over by a LEO you don't have a wire hanging out of your helmet for him to see :thumbsup:

Hey I think you raise a good point. Anyone know what the laws are regarding the use of headphones? It can't be that they are outlawed completely, because I know many states are having cellphone bans where you need to use headsets so that seems to suggest that at least using an earphone in one ear is legal. But is only one ear allowed, or both? I'm sure this varies from state to state. Also, is it a secondary offense only, where you can't be pulled over for using headphones in both ears, but you can be cited for it if pulled over for something else?

Now there is another issue about earplugs, separate from the headphone issue. Are there any laws banning earplugs? That would be crazy because then the law would be sending the message that they want bikers to lose their hearing and/or get tinnitis, so that we can't hear anything when we get older as we ride our bikes. With earplugs you save your hearing from damage, while still able to hear traffic etc. But do laws ban earplugs too?

Ear plugs for me, even on the shortest ride and I bad mouthed music on bikes for years.......Then I tried an Ipod with er6's on a run across 4 states a couple of years ago. I will never cross a state like Nevada again without music :thumbsup:

_D2X0859s.jpg

Hey I think you raise a good point. Anyone know what the laws are regarding the use of headphones? It can't be that they are outlawed completely, because I know many states are having cellphone bans where you need to use headsets so that seems to suggest that at least using an earphone in one ear is legal. But is only one ear allowed, or both? I'm sure this varies from state to state. Also, is it a secondary offense only, where you can't be pulled over for using headphones in both ears, but you can be cited for it if pulled over for something else?

Now there is another issue about earplugs, separate from the headphone issue. Are there any laws banning earplugs? That would be crazy because then the law would be sending the message that they want bikers to lose their hearing and/or get tinnitis, so that we can't hear anything when we get older as we ride our bikes. With earplugs you save your hearing from damage, while still able to hear traffic etc. But do laws ban earplugs too?

In Florida, in-the-ear head phones broadcasting in stereo are illegal, or at least that is what I have been told by your friendly neighborhood LEO. One ear is okay, just as it is with cell-phone users. However, I use speakers in my helmet, which is okay, either because of a loophole or because it is seen differently, I don't know. As far as ear plugs, I don't know. Just seems to me to be another example of lawmakers making laws who have no idea of the reality of the world.

• Member Contributer

I pretty much always ride with music on especially distance and my daily commute. I have always listened to music when on the move - while walking, on the pushbike and now on the motorbike. I can hear the engine cars etc, with little trouble.

I use whatever earphoines I've got. I usually buy some midrange Sony ones but at the moment I'm wearing a pair of the ipod ones. They seem to wear out or get broken every 12-18 months so I've been through a few in almost 20 years.

About the only time that I don't is when I'm riding hard, as you do devote a little fraction of your concetration on listening to that music and when I'm riding hard I want all of it on the ride.

• Member Contributer

Moozic non stop...

I went with custom molded ear plugs with tiny Sony digital

speakers... they cut 30db of wind noise and allow every note of the

music through even at low volumes... perfect...

EarPlugInstalled.jpg

RockinEarPlugs.JPG

I added a light weight Xact Sirius satellite receiver...

SiriusSatelliteRadioRC45..JPG

Ear plugs for me, even on the shortest ride and I bad mouthed music on bikes for years.......Then I tried an Ipod with er6's on a run across 4 states a couple of years ago. I will never cross a state like Nevada again without music :thumbsup:

At least you had a hill!! :joystick:

gallery_5444_2144_303144.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_283622.jpg

The V4 music is enough for me, just regular earplugs and I'm good to go!

If the ride is longer than 20 minutes, I'm listening to music. I have music on all the time and am so used to riding and doing other activities while listening, it's more uncommon and upsetting when I don't have music. In fact, I've got headphones on right now as I'm typing. smile.gif Like Busy, I went with the custom molded plugs with speakers in them. Best money I've spent. They never fall out, can wear them for hours without pain, 30db sound isolation, can still hear outside noises, yet also hear the music without turning it up too loud.

If the ride is longer than 20 minutes, I'm listening to music. I have music on all the time and am so used to riding and doing other activities while listening, it's more uncommon and upsetting when I don't have music. In fact, I've got headphones on right now as I'm typing. smile.gif Like Busy, I went with the custom molded plugs with speakers in them. Best money I've spent. They never fall out, can wear them for hours without pain, 30db sound isolation, can still hear outside noises, yet also hear the music without turning it up too loud.

For those using custom molded earplugs what are you using and how much did you pay? I have looked at the Big Ear product at $200+ and well as others for $249 and up, but am choking on that price. I would love some custom fit earplugs for the short rides, and som custom molded headphones for longer rides. Any input?

Jay

• Member Contributer

Who wrote the book about "a dollar's worth of attention"? I say, if street riding isn't enough to keep your attention, then get onto the track. With road debris, attack grandmas, LEOs and speed limits, who's got time to mentally "do the Hustle?". Stay safe, stay focused. Besides, at least for me, part of the riding experience is the calm and quiet. My .02, which in Canadian, is still .02.

Zumo 550 with 4 gig SD Card (wire out of Mount)

119557704-M.jpg

Connected to a:

Jabra A120s (through the wire out of the Zumo mount)

A120s%20(stereo%20adaptor).jpg

Connected to:

Camos BHS 600 (A little bulky, but works nicely)

camos-imc-bhs-600-bluetooth-intercom-parts.jpg

Going at speeds of up to about 55mph with a half-face helmet, the sound is ok, but post that speed, you're not going to hear much cause of the wind. I'd imagine even with a full face helmet.

So you may wanna go to plugs somehow if you wanna listen to music at higher speeds.

• Forum CEO

ER6 units for a couple years now, with the volume low so I can hear the traffic, I usually shut off the music when the twisites come up so I can hear my motor better. With in ear speakers you can lower the volume and still get wind noise isolation so the overall noise in the ear is reduced dramtiaclly like an earplug. I dont know how riders can do it without earplugs for extended periods? I rode to California without them on my busa and suffered headaces, till I finally pulled into a walmart and got some soft plugs. It took some getting used to but I adapted and enjoy riding much better with earplugs. I would not suggest riding in town with music either - too many cages out to get you, wait for the slab before you turn on the music. I have taken to audio books for those long strait - nobody on it by me roads!

For those using custom molded earplugs what are you using and how much did you pay? I have looked at the Big Ear product at $200+ and well as others for $249 and up, but am choking on that price. I would love some custom fit earplugs for the short rides, and som custom molded headphones for longer rides. Any input?

Jay

I had my custom ear plugs made last December at the International Motorcycle Show when it was up in Seattle. The company that made them was Now Hear This. Total cost was $100 for two pairs of ear plugs (just regular earplugs, no speakers or anything). If you bring your own headphones, they can build a mold around them for your ears. I remember the price was pretty reasonable. You could also purchase the full deal if you don't have your own headphones, and that was between $170 to $220 depending on the quality of the speakers.

Jay

I'm a little biased since I'm a Big Ear Provider, but I have found you get what you pay for. Before I got into this as a part time business, I did a bunch of research. Big Ear products seemed to have the highest quality. Their motorcycle stereo plugs ($299)have a strain relief and anti-vibration sleeve on the cords. These eliminate wind vibration from the cord to the ear piece and make it much more difficult to rip out a cord. The cord is also Kevlar reinforced, so it is a lot tougher than most. They are rebuildable if you drop them, step on them, drag them behind the bike, etc. There is also a filter to capture moisture (sweat from your ear) from getting to the electronics.

As far as earplugs, they are a 2-part medical grade silicone. They come with a 3 year warranty but most get 7-10 years out of them. The 2 parts are mixed in a mixing nozzle which provides consistency and a new nozzle is used for every person since the two parts harden up in it. Most of the others use hand mix (rely on someone mixing the consistency correctly) then they use the same nozzle to inject the mixture as they used with hundreds of people before you (not very sanitary even if they wipe it down). The hand mix stuff also seems to shrink over time. After about 3-4 years they don't seal that well any more.

I've made a lot of plugs for women that have husbands that snore, little kids, muscians (or if you go to a lot of concerts), and swimmers. You can also use them for the guy trips if splitting a room and one or both snore.

If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll try to help you any way I can.

• Member Contributer

My husband bought me custom molded earphones for me a couple years ago.

I can hear the road noise, my bike, wind noise, and traffic just fine while listening to my Ipod. :fing02:

Archived