Listening To Music

Guest Nealyweely

• Member Contributer
I know it is illegal in virginia to wear ear buds or headphones while riding.

Got the ticket to show for that one, huh? Operating a radar detector is also illegal in VA.

Actually, I think it is illegal in most states to wear headphones while driving/riding, but they don't really enforce it as a violation on it's own. I'm guessing you must have either done something stupid or else smarted off to him (so the PO wants to tag you for everything he can think of or else he can't get you because what you did wasn't "illegal" just dumb so he needed something to make his point).

Or else he was just a Pr!ck/having a bad day?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it is illegal in virginia to wear ear buds or headphones while riding.

Got the ticket to show for that one, huh? Operating a radar detector is also illegal in VA.

Actually, I think it is illegal in most states to wear headphones while driving/riding, but they don't really enforce it as a violation on it's own. I'm guessing you must have either done something stupid or else smarted off to him (so the PO wants to tag you for everything he can think of or else he can't get you because what you did wasn't "illegal" just dumb so he needed something to make his point).

Or else he was just a Pr!ck/having a bad day?

I think it is illegal in Georgia as well, EXCEPT for communication devices. The GPS communicates with me. They don't have to know it also has music on it. :beer:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

If I get struck and dragged by a crashing helicopter, it was just my time to go... :fing02:

Ear plugs for me, even on the shortest ride and I bad mouthed music on bikes for years.......Then I tried an Ipod with er6's on a run across 4 states a couple of years ago. I will never cross a state like Nevada again without music :thumbsup:

_D2X0859s.jpg

You got a problem with Nevada????

I do too, the riding here sucks!!!!

I find these stories so damn ridiculous.

If the guy was indeed wearing headphones AND had on a hoodie...well, there went any use of peripheral vision. Where does it stop? When does the same wacko senator make a plea for a bill that outlaws hoodies? The "experts" simply crawl out of the woodwork over this stuff.... :fing02:

NOW, give me a senator that creates AND gets passed a bill outlawing cellphone use in the car....I'll jump on that bandwagon. And don't get me started about women/make-up, guys/shaving, people eating, fiddling with the radio...etc. Ya gotta start somewhere. I personally have far more stories about narrrow misses with idiots on their phones, than any of the other..... :biggrin: Oh, and how often do you see idiots walking out in the street with their ear glued to a phone and a starbucks in the other.... :wheel:

The final quote of the article states: "I see people riding bikes while listening to iPods, and it's horrific."....No, horrific is the situation in Zimbabwae, or the post Myanmar cyclone screw-ups. What ever happened to personal responsibility... :fing02:

Uggh....so sorry....the cold Chardonnay is kicking in....I should just be glad Monday is over. Case of the "Mundays" fer sure.... :laugh:

Rant off.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want the top of the line, check these out. The be all, end all of custom molded products.

http://www.bigearinc.com/Products/BE-OZ.aspx

Dual transducer with a crossover, compression circuit for gun fire, 30 dB ear plug that can be turned off (so you can hear the ambient noise or talk to someone), and ambient noise microphone that boosts sound (hear conversations across the room).

If you really want the top of the line, check these out. The be all, end all of custom molded products.

Dual transducer with a crossover, compression circuit for gun fire, 30 dB ear plug that can be turned off (so you can hear the ambient noise or talk to someone), and ambient noise microphone that boosts sound (hear conversations across the room).

Don't seem to be any reviews on those $ 1800.00 earphones. :warranty:

Hearing is believing...everything else is just specs.

Don't seem to be any reviews on those $ 1800.00 earphones. :warranty:

Hearing is believing...everything else is just specs.

There have probably only been 5 sets sold so far. Patent pending still. I think the paperwork was just submitted a week or two ago.

• Member Contributer

Hello.

Severe ADHD guy here.

My mind is constantly doing way too many things at the same time. I can't control it...at least that's what the voices tell me. When I'm riding I like to focus on as few things as possible other than not getting run over by a cager...or hitting wild turkeys (funny story). Music seems to reduce the mind wandering for me and allow me to focus more on what I'm doing, rather than thinking about a bigger turbo for my car, what the weather is like in Tennessee, or what bark is made of. In short, I'm a big fan of music while riding.

Wanna ride bikes?

Hello.

Severe ADHD guy here.

My mind is constantly doing way too many things at the same time. I can't control it...at least that's what the voices tell me. When I'm riding I like to focus on as few things as possible other than not getting run over by a cager...or hitting wild turkeys (funny story). Music seems to reduce the mind wandering for me and allow me to focus more on what I'm doing, rather than thinking about a bigger turbo for my car, what the weather is like in Tennessee, or what bark is made of. In short, I'm a big fan of music while riding.

Wanna ride bikes?

I have the EXACT same problem.

I have been using In helmet speakers, made from a set of headphones with a good cord. I then can wear my earplugs, and with the addition of the Quiet Rider I can just hear my MP3 player. I use a cheap MP3 player, if it falls out of my pocket it's no big deal....cost me $10 from buy.com

• Member Contributer
What is people's opinion on the safety factor, and listening to engine, etc

I rode in earphones a few times, and I would say it's bad for safety. A lot of road information is obtained through hearing. Sounds of cars approaching you, police/ambulance sirens, or, heaven forbid, screeching tires behind you - missing any of those can cost you dearly.

Now, most of my riding is city traffic. Long highway trips - and I assume M6 is a highway, or whatever you Brits call that type of roads smile.gif - could probably justify use of earphones.

Don't think so. I go hiking every morning with my dog and listen to my iPod at the same time. I can easily hear the giggle of his tags, and even cars coming behind me. I say it's safe!

Yea I wear them running as well. It's at work, on the road for our truck entrance. I wave at all the drivers, especially the ones I can hear coming up behind me. As long as you are sane with the volume there isn't a problem!

They think I am waving to be nice - and I am - but I am also waving to get their attention. It's a 'Please don't kill me!!" wave!! :fing02:

Archived