Vfr Yearly Rally

Guest stinger03

VFRD Homecoming Rally?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a VFRD National Meet in ..?

• Colorado
    • Wyoming
    • New Mexico
    • Nebraska
    • South Dakota
    • Oklahoma
  2. 2. How Far Off?

• June 2008
    • July 2008
    • August 2008
    • September 2008
  3. 3. How Far would you be willing to Travel Round Trip

• 1000 miles or less
    • 1500 miles
    • 2000 miles
    • 3000 miles
    • More

• Forum CEO
I know it's bad for the Tennessee area and it's border states to "Hog-Up" all the rides, but Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama represent some of the twistiest, scenic, most fun riding on a motorcycle that exists in the USA. A national event could float in and out of these areas changing yearly for a long time before they were "used up".........take a long time before routes were duplicated........... B) :thumbsup:

fall dragon ride

tmac

More than enough for the smokies, you guys can come or not come to Colorado. Shoot I am comming there so I am pretty much set on it after seeing these poll results. Here is an Idea, riding in Colorado in the weekends is a bust, I-70 is pack full of idiots and the mountain passes are jammed with RV's so I am thinking doing it on weekdays mon-wed, which give you the weekend to get here and the weekend to go home, its gonna be a trip either way.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
fall dragon ride

tmac

More than enough for the smokies, you guys can come or not come to Colorado. Shoot I am comming there so I am pretty much set on it after seeing these poll results. Here is an Idea, riding in Colorado in the weekends is a bust, I-70 is pack full of idiots and the mountain passes are jammed with RV's so I am thinking doing it on weekdays mon-wed, which give you the weekend to get here and the weekend to go home, its gonna be a trip either way.

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Mrs. skuuter and I very much want to travel to Colorado and a lot of other "Adjoining West". We would like to eventually work out a 5 to 6 week tour. Maybe sandwich a VFR Rally in the middle. 08, though is definetly out for us......09 at the very soonest.

• Member Contributer
fall dragon ride

tmac

I agree with HS.

I like the idea of having the main part of the riding / get-together during the week. Much less traffic (RV's, boat's, etc.), less LEO and probably easier to get Motel reservations.

Just my .02.

Possibilities for a Dallas, TX area group:

From Dallas, TX to Raton, NM Day 1 (Saturday)

From Raton, NM to Anywhere, CO Day 2 (Sunday)

Ride around CO for a couple of days with the VFRD crew.

Then "Take the long way home" (Hwy 191 in AZ, VLA in NM, some great roads around Taos).

Thanks,

ki-speed (Mark)

• Member Contributer

In spite of the tearful fact Skuuter is booked for 08, does this have a chance for being pulled off this year? During the week would make this something I could pull off this year.

• Member Contributer

If (due to shorter notice) it's a small turnout in 2008, it would still be fun and help to plan for a bigger gathering in 2009.

I believe you would even get a pretty good size turnout for 2008.

• Member Contributer
If (due to shorter notice) it's a small turnout in 2008, it would still be fun and help to plan for a bigger gathering in 2009.

I believe you would even get a pretty good size turnout for 2008.

Due to only a six month notice,or there abouts,I think that I'am in.Looks that i'll have the whole summer off,I could walk back and forth if need be.

Regards,

Mike

• Member Contributer
In spite of the tearful fact Skuuter is booked for 08, does this have a chance for being pulled off this year? During the week would make this something I could pull off this year.

I can tell you're extremely broken up over it......... :P :beer:

• Forum CEO

Magnitude? well I will beleive it when I see it, I have only seen 40 even take the time to vote so I doubt it will be even that large. Its one thing to talk about comming a different thing to actually do it.

Red - Please go back and read the thread the information is there all you have to do is read it.

Now, explain to me how it is that Nebraska gets a spot on the poll but Kansas does not?

I am thoroughly confused by this. Everyone in the world knows that Kansas has much better riding than Nebraska. Oh, and don't get me started on Oklahoma. :beer:

:D

Now, explain to me how it is that Nebraska gets a spot on the poll but Kansas does not?

I am thoroughly confused by this. Everyone in the world knows that Kansas has much better riding than Nebraska. Oh, and don't get me started on Oklahoma. :squid:

Lee, why don't you come out for this rally? You can ride from your place w/ me, I'll need a place to stay over in Topeka... :beer: :D

• Member Contributer

I could help out with an event in Colorado. An ideal central point, besides Salida, would be Montrose. And to those of you who think May would be a good time to ride Colorado's High Country, it's not. Late June, July, or August would be better. I would like to see a small event in 2008, and plan for a good show in 2009.

I am thoroughly confused by this. Everyone in the world knows that Kansas has much better riding than Nebraska. Oh, and don't get me started on Oklahoma. :squid:

Lee, why don't you come out for this rally? You can ride from your place w/ me, I'll need a place to stay over in Topeka... :beer: :D

That would be pretty shameful if a "Guy From NY" can make it to a ride in CO but a "Guy From KS" can't. You know you are always welcome at my house. We'll kill a calf for you.

When dates and locations (...could be Nebraska ?!? WTF?) are decided on I'll be able to say Yeah or Ney. You have to remember that I am the low man on the totem pole. The earlier things are pinned down the better my chances.

I am not a big "group ride" kind of a person. (once a year for Toys for Tots) But if I can get away when the ride is planned, I will make an honest effort to attend. I do like the idea of a weekday gathering.

I may get to ride today for the first time since the Ice Storm (other than my in the yard adventure). The frozen slicks at each end of my street have completely thawed in today's 40* temps.

Now, back to how Nebraska is a poll choice but Kansas is not......

Just an idea that was brought up between me n BR. I didnt think there would be enough interest in one spot to warrant for t-mac.

How many bikes can you strap into a 53ft trailer, just a wild guess i would say 25.

If you could get 25 bikes in one spot with tie downs ready and you dont mind shipping them early we could probably work out some type of transportation to or from, of course other logistics also fall into play..

Plane ticket, rental car, bike storage in colorado, etc... it costs out the wazoo to ship 1 bike ltl. but i could probably get a full truck for a flat rate then divide cost ..

Say 2.50 x mileage then divide by # of bikes to transport, a flatbed would be better but i think my boss has a van trailer that will work nicely.

the big problem would be getting that many bike in one spot for p/u otherwise it would cost a little more for the xtra mileage to another p/u spot

example...

san diego (1), pheonix(2), then to denver(3).

10 bikes from (1) to (2) 2.5xmileage to (2) divide by # of bikes = $100 per bike + 250 (imaginary # from equation below)

15 bikes p/u in (2) for 25 total = mileage from (2) to (3)x2.5 divided by 25 = (lets say $250 each)

You get the point but would it be worth it once you total cost for

shipping bike

getting bike to a more central location

aifare to denver

rental to or from airport

then all this could x2 for return trip ??

sorry HS a little off topic but an idea for those living far off since someone mentioned shipping there bike..

Need to find a place where you would get both sides of the country would like to meet, east meets west kind of thing....WY or Co?

Or the Ozarks?

Just do it man, plan a ride and "they will come". I started doing a Fall ride in my area, and it grew 100% from the first year to this year, planning for higher numbers in '08! :beer:

I would definitally show up to an Ozarks rally. I grew up in Lake St. Louis, MO (about 2 hours from the Ozarks) and used to spend a lot of time at Lake of the Ozarks. There are a lot of awsome roads there, not to mention my parents have a house there so lodging would be taken care of. Oh and you have to make your way to party cove! If you show up to party cove with whipped cream and beads you can get those girls to do anything! The rally wouldnt be to bad either....

• Forum CEO

Well I wont be planning any Ozarks trips personally, not gonna do that, too far for me to coordinate. Somebody else wants to jump on that go for it, I have already said that I believe. I am not interested in that nightmare myself.

Colorado I will host a Colorado meet! I put the other states up there to see if the consensus was on Colorado and overwhelmingly it is. Nebraska got zero votes and I think Kansas would have only gotten 1 so - bhwahhh

I am not ready to announce anything solid yet so just be patient. Tentatively Somewhere in Colorado July 21-23rd (Mon - Wed, last day a ride to Colorado Springs or home if your headed the other way) OK is that good enough for now, at least that gives you the time frame! As to where I havent done that yet. I will make a full announcement by the first of Feb.

Nebraska got zero votes and I think Kansas would have only gotten 1 so - bhwahhh

Well, of course, Nebraska got zero votes.... the riding there sucks.

Kansas would have got at least two votes.... I would have set the wife up an account and had her stuff the ballot box. :P

I am a probable for those tenative dates. I get to book vacation starting in mid Jan.

• Member Contributer
Arkansas is nowhere near Central! Not if your comming from the West coast. The folks from the west coast have been rather silent here though, one guy from OR? I am thinking perhaps 09 would be best anyway. Looking at my schedual it will be tight. Last time I tried to organize a trip into the Ozarks only 8 guys showed up!!

Add another PNW rider if it is in 2009, and if it is in Colorado. I won't be able to make a longish 2008 ride unfortunately (just cancelled my plans for MotoGP @ Laguna :goofy: ) but 2009 should be very doable.

• Member Contributer

Will honestly try to shoot for the "second one" in 09........... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
What about around the Barber motorsports track in Birmingham Al? Get a track day around it.

MD

Mello Dude,

I will be going to Barber sometime this year. A couple of friends wanted to trailer our bikes down to Tennesse in January and ride the rest of the way. I'd rather wait till we could ride the whole trip though. I'm outside of Cincy, PM me if you're interested. If trailered the guy that has the set up does a lot of racing over at Putnam in Indiana so he's experienced. I have a motorhome so I'm used to driving big stuff too.

As for the Rally, Colorado is cool but late July may be a problem. That's cub scout adventure camp time!!! It may be the week after so getting two weeks off together is easier than a few weeks spread around. For now count me in (for what it's worth :D )

Archived