Vfr Yearly Rally

Guest stinger03

VFRD Homecoming Rally?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a VFRD National Meet in ..?

• Colorado
    • Wyoming
    • New Mexico
    • Nebraska
    • South Dakota
    • Oklahoma
  2. 2. How Far Off?

• June 2008
    • July 2008
    • August 2008
    • September 2008
  3. 3. How Far would you be willing to Travel Round Trip

• 1000 miles or less
    • 1500 miles
    • 2000 miles
    • 3000 miles
    • More

• Member Contributer

You're all missing the biggest problem with a group ride in CO.......

HS lives there and if he doesn't ride 1000+ miles to the group ride, you'll never see him.

I like the idea, but &*%$ riding across Kansas. I swore I'd never do it again after the first time I did it. If I can coordinate the time and a way around to CO completely avoiding KS, I'm in.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the idea, but &*%$ riding across Kansas. I swore I'd never do it again after the first time I did it. If I can coordinate the time and a way around to CO completely avoiding KS, I'm in.

How about up through Canada and back down into CO. :pissed:

Have to agree that from the East that traveling through Eastern CO and most of KS is got to be the worst stretch of travel in the US and few ways to avoid or improve it. Setting the cruise at 100 mph and pray for no LEO's is the best bet. sad.gif

• Member Contributer

This sounds like a pretty good idea. Better than going south through Texas?

Never ridden through Texas, but here there's a lot of nothing there to Except the Hill country where there's great riding. Not sure what part that's in though, my buddies run down there every year to ride. :beer:

• Member Contributer

There ya go Zack....you can ride through Arkansas on your way to my house in East Texas. Then we can ride up through Oklahoma and New Mexico to meet HS in Colorado! :thumbsup: :P

Anything West of Ft. Worth and Northwest of Austin is just like Kansas!

• Member Contributer

There ya go Zack....you can ride through Arkansas on your way to my house in East Texas. Then we can ride up through Oklahoma and New Mexico to meet HS in Colorado! :thumbsup: :P

Think I'll make this a month long ride go to canada califorina then col.

Mike

• Forum CEO

Well Kansas dont have no cotton picken cotton fields like Texas does, saw many many of those! And the long streatches of prickly pear country - how the hell did anybody drive cattle through all those darned paper plate sized prickly pears I dont know! All the Big dually Pickup trucks are hauling about 110 mph on average, cept for when the driver is in his late 90's those guys just pull right over onto the shoulder and let you on by hes only goin 90mph. One mph for each candle on his birthday cake.

Kansas has all those fun fun feedlot smells, and the 70mph crosswind to help you get a good wiff of the pig farms 20 miles north too - that is West Kasas. Then once you pass the cow poke area your in the wet part of Kansas going east, there you can read all the "No Abortion" signs in every farmers corner lot, of course. I made sure not to get one of those while I was there. Missori has those too, however they balance it out with adult book shops between each one - sort of like a war for your soul goin on there - but Missori has the Ozarks so it dont matter, once your riding in the Ozarks nothing else matters.

Anything east of Colorado Springs might as well be Kansas its all the same.. same smells.

• Member Contributer
How about up through Canada and back down into CO. :beer:

Hey Chev, let me know which way you want to go. I'll tag along. Maybe we can head over with Seb & Lee. :pissed: :beer: all the way through Kansas. Although we might have to slow down for "The Curve". Or better yet, we can hit the Kansas Dragon on the way out-- "11 turns, 314 miles".

Maybe we can head over with Seb & Lee. :pissed: :beer: all the way through Kansas.

Now that sounds like the start of a plan.

Or better yet, we can hit the Kansas Dragon on the way out-- "11 turns, 314 miles".

I tried to tell everyone that Kansas has the best riding. B)

Well Kansas dont have no cotton picken cotton fields like Texas does, saw many many of those! And the long streatches of prickly pear country - how the hell did anybody drive cattle through all those darned paper plate sized prickly pears I dont know! All the Big dually Pickup trucks are hauling about 110 mph on average, cept for when the driver is in his late 90's those guys just pull right over onto the shoulder and let you on by hes only goin 90mph. One mph for each candle on his birthday cake.

Kansas has all those fun fun feedlot smells, and the 70mph crosswind to help you get a good wiff of the pig farms 20 miles north too - that is West Kasas. Then once you pass the cow poke area your in the wet part of Kansas going east, there you can read all the "No Abortion" signs in every farmers corner lot, of course. I made sure not to get one of those while I was there. Missori has those too, however they balance it out with adult book shops between each one - sort of like a war for your soul goin on there - but Missori has the Ozarks so it dont matter, once your riding in the Ozarks nothing else matters.

Anything east of Colorado Springs might as well be Kansas its all the same.. same smells.

That is spot on, exactly how I remember it. We had a 50 mph head wind all the way through kansas and east colorado.

I dont know if I can make this year or not.

• Member Contributer
Maybe we can head over with Seb & Lee. :wheel: :wheel: all the way through Kansas.

Now that sounds like the start of a plan.

No, the plan is to ride till the torture rack starts killing me and then offer up some riders on that badazz 1KR across the interstate. Mwaha ha ha ha ah aha

You'll be calling the 6th gen a lay-z-boy after that day.

• 1 month later...
Colorado I will host a Colorado meet!

I am not ready to announce anything solid yet so just be patient. Tentatively Somewhere in Colorado July 21-23rd (Mon - Wed, last day a ride to Colorado Springs or home if your headed the other way) OK is that good enough for now, at least that gives you the time frame! As to where I havent done that yet. I will make a full announcement by the first of Feb.

Hey, it's the first of Feb.

I would consider Ks. I just moved from there a couple of years ago and would have lots of places/people to check in on. Bad thing is every road is straight east/west or north/south.

• Forum CEO
Colorado I will host a Colorado meet!

I am not ready to announce anything solid yet so just be patient. Tentatively Somewhere in Colorado July 21-23rd (Mon - Wed, last day a ride to Colorado Springs or home if your headed the other way) OK is that good enough for now, at least that gives you the time frame! As to where I havent done that yet. I will make a full announcement by the first of Feb.

Hey, it's the first of Feb.

sad.gif Yea got a bit side tracked with my father and his open heart surgery.

We did some feeling out of the best places, seems the weekend of July 21-23 many hotels around are booked, however July 13, 14, 15 is free.

Here is the Plan

Sun July 13th - Ouray, one night stay (working on a negotiated price) have a dinner together. we will be leaving from Colorado Springs in the moring - 350 miles if anybody would like to meet in Colorado Springs

Monday July 14th - Gunnison, one night stay (same deal working on a motel) This will be a 325 mile day - Ouray - Silverton (million dollar highway) - Durango - Creede (Creede) - Lake City - ending in Gunnison

Tuesday July 15th - one night stay in Gunnison - head to Blue Mesa - Black Canyon hwy 92 - Hotchkiss - Mclure Pass - Aspen - Maroon Bells - Independence Pass - Ending In Buena Vista (here will be the end of the ride) We will be heading home (me and my cohort since we have to work the next day) from there but we will set up a motel there for those who will need lodging. This is also around 325 miles for the day. There are some nice hot springs at the mount princeton hotsprings if you need a soak for sore muscles.

Those heading to Laguna Seca for the Motogp after this - its two days ride to California from here if you slab it, 3 if you take a scenic route.

Stay tuned on hotel info.

Nevada is the worse, hot hot hot nothing form miles and miles

Tell me about it... I have to ride2-3 hours to get to a decent road! :beer:

I would love to make it to this, but I'm planning a personal trip for this same area in Sept with my pops, so I don't want to spoil it for myself. Plus if I do the Reno ride in June and a few other rides with my pops the budget is close to the bottom!!!

• Forum CEO

Come on Mike I rode across west Texas for your thing! You will not regret it! trust me Colorado is somthing to see! There are lots of places to bike camp too if you need to keep the cost down.

OK we will (Craig and I) reserve 10 rooms, not expecting a big turnout here - but I can count on 3 guys just from work alone so - I am expecting 20-30 guys tops and maybe only 15 to be realistic for this first get together.

• Member Contributer

Yah....yah....I'm toiling over streets and trips right now. The problem with going to Colorado is that New Mexico is right next door and I can't pass up all the good stuff there. Cumbres Pass, Narrow Gauge Railway, Cliff Dwellings, Gila Monster, etc. etc.

I've cut it back to 3500 miles. Wonder if I can do all that in a week? :lol:

• Member Contributer

I rode from Portland to Pueblo, Co last year... in March...through an unforecasted freak blizzard!

I'll be flying in this month for a week to ski at Monarch (one ride through a blizzard is enough for a lifetime), so I was undecided about coming back in '08 until you showed the ride route through Lake City, the most beautiful, rugged, unforgettable area of the continental U.S. bar none.

I can stay with family and the wife will come along. Count us in.

Archived