New Helmet questions...

• Member Contributer

Helmet questions.... I had been hot on the new AGV K6 S, because it is very light at 2.8 pounds and has a very wide vison envelop to see anywhere I want. Also, the material are on the premium side as a plus. I only get a helmet every 6 years or so, so I didnt mind the price tag roughly at $550..... I had tryed an XL in the store, liked it, but found it almost snug but not a solid fit.
So I normally wear a large and looked and looked and looked to find one to try on before putting $ down on one.
That ended up to be a no go, and the only possible way to get one was online through Dianese (how do you say that?) out in California. Bit the bullet, when against my better judgement and ordered.
Got thing today...... The pads are definately on the tight side, I wondering if this is gonna work?

My questions is..... When you get a new helmet, do you expect it to be a bit tight and will get better with a break in? And mbe in time... expected hours to a good break-in period?
-- I dont want to return the thing, but I will if needed..... --- I do like it...

Thank all

• Member Contributer

Yes.

I always expect a new helmet to be tight. It will adjust to your head and cheekbones, and you will adjust to how it feels. Far better than a lid that starts too loose. In the worst case you can change pads.

And...I bought an AGV K6 S last year, and posted a review here on VFRD. I'll try to find it for you but the short answer is I love it so far. Light weight, field of vision and build quality.

IMG_8390.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

While in the Cycle Gear store, I tried on several of the major brands and then when I tried on the AGV, I was blown away at its obvious lightness campared to the others and wide field of view on it. That was the push for me to say, yeah, that's the one I gotta get.

• Member Contributer

Typically I'm a Shoei wearer (Currently a GT-Air2) but over the past few years I ventured out to other makes. Schuberth was my first step into both another make but also into a modular helmet. I bought the C3, then the C3 Pro, I skipped the C4 and C5 and went with the AGV Tour Modular. In between that, I also bought the Schuberth SR1, and found a screaming deal on the SR2, so I bought that model too. These two were my track day helmets and the SR1 proved to be a great helmet but ultimately sacrificed itself for me in a high speed crash at the track. I actually came out pretty unscathed, other than a dislocated pinky and torn up gear, I came away walking upright and no limping. Along this time frame, I saw and fell in love with an AGV K5S and bought it on the spot. I know, I know, get to the point D!

Other than the first C3, which had a little "hot spot" in the forehead area, which broke in after a few weeks of riding in it almost daily, all of the helmets had a very snug fit. They still do, but they're slowly getting more "wiggle" room but not enough to feel unsafe. My daily helmet is the AGV Tour Modular and the street/sport helmet is the K5S, and off and on I'll go back to the Shoei. But if I'm being honest, I really prefer the AGV helmets over the Shoei now. For some of the same reasons mentioned above, light weight and great field of view. If/when a helmet feels a but too tight, I'll wear it around the house for a while and see if I start to feel fatigued or if I stop noticing the feeling. One of my Shoei helmets, which I bought online, was like that. I was at that time, was in between sizes, so I went with the smaller size but immediately new I went in the wrong direction. I wore the helmet in the house for about 15 minutes and new by that time, it was the incorrect size. Returned it and got the next size up. Still snug but not overly tight.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful.

• Like 2

I agree with everyone above - your new helmet will break in over some time and miles as the pads compress to your exact head size and shape.  It will a little uncomfortable at first, but the new lid and you will get used to each other.  I've found this to be true with my last couple new helmets.  Worst case, you can buy and swap in a thinner pad set.

That being said, every time I try on an AGV it seems a little smaller than the same size helmet from other brands.  So your new helmet might be just a bit smaller than your most recent one you've been wearing for a while.

• Member Contributer

I was Shoei for decades, but with the huge price increases, I moved to HJC a few years ago. HJC was at the time <1/2 the price. Quality is good/adequate. They are much lighter than my Shoeis were. Venting is good. The only negative I've seen is with the shield, which is not as crystal clear and which does not like to stay open a tiny amount for air flow.

I liked my HJC enough to buy another for track duty and a third for dual sport use. 

I just bought the AGV K6S this spring in L. I have a bit of a round head shape, and despite really wanting the Shoei RF-1400 to work, I tried one on in the store and it just wasn't going to be possible - the top was too narrow and pressed in the sides of my head. The AGV was a little bit rounder and fit like a glove!

My cheek pads were comfortable but snug when new and are loosening up over time as I wear the helmet more. It's now been about a month of nearly daily wear, and I don't notice them anymore. 

12 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

In the worst case you can change pads.

Is it possible to put different size cheek pads in? On the AGV website it has sizes but doesn't indicate whether changing the pad size is possible. 

Fit from new also depends on how well your head matches the helmet shape. The best fitting helmet I have had was a Schuberth S1.

The never Schuberth models are for more "spheric" heads. A Shoei I had needed some manipulation to fit.

My Arai was a bit tight and noticeably more relaxed now that it broke in. 

It's also one of the most comfy helmets there is after trying AGV and Shoei IMO. I'd highly recommend it for people with a rounder head

• Member Contributer

Arai actually has three shapes in their line up, depending on model.  Round-oval (Quantum, and it's derivatives), intermediate-oval (Renegade family?), long-oval (Signet).

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

The more info I get, the more confused I get... bleah... 😛

• Haha 2

• Member Contributer

Shapes is a hard one, as manufacturers and users don't always agree. Try them on. Any brand name will be adequate. What's important to you? For me, fit, venting, lack of fogging. Cheaper shields isn't bad either, as I don't adhere to the made up 5 year rule. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, mello dude said:

The more info I get, the more confused I get... bleah... 😛

It is pronounced Die-knee-say. You're welcome.

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Terry said:

Acerbis.png.1cbc27aa3afa082e70bdad101aa8dc9f.png

We sold Acerbis shirts at the Honda Shop.  It said "Ah" had a chair and the some bees.

Underneath it said, "Say it right, dammit!"

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

A quick and easy way to check correct fit of a prospective helmet is to begin
with a large size and work your way down to a snug fit... and that is after you
get it on your head and without buckling the chin strap, snap your head side to
side in quick movements... if the helmet stays snug and follows your head then
the size is probably correct... if it moves about then it is too large... try next
smaller size... what you'll end up with is knowing what is too large and what is a
snug fit without going too tight... in other words the correct skid lid for your cranial...

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

After doing several 20 minute wear sessions while screwing on the web, the thing gives me a headache. I  have nearly convinced myself that it's gonna be on the return file. (Dammit, it is a nice helmet)

• Member Contributer

How long since your last new helmet?  While a headache is perhaps a sign, where are the pressure points that are giving pain?  

I sold helmets for over a decade, from the 90s into the 00s.  If it has been a while, a properly fitted new helmet can be a shock.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Terry said:

Maybe this will help

Dye-Neh-Zeh.jpeg

• Haha 2

• Member Contributer

Dainese own AGV. I have an old Dainese helmet, which was made for them by AGV. AFAIK they only sold Dainese branded helmets for a couple of years. I used to use AGV as they had a ML size that fitted my head well. They stopped doing ML but Dainese still did them 👍

Looking at the latest AGV size chart the current Large is 58-59cm which is the old ML size ! 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

How long since your last new helmet?  While a headache is perhaps a sign, where are the pressure points that are giving pain?  

I sold helmets for over a decade, from the 90s into the 00s.  If it has been a while, a properly fitted new helmet can be a shock.

Its been quite a few years... I had a Shoei RF-1100 that when the last time I put it on, I got showered with shredded foam. (yeah, I know I'm overdue.):wacko:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

There's overdue.  Then there's showered with foam overdue. 

My old Schwantz Arai, that was relegated to indoor carting duty, developed a case of black dandruff too.   Up on the shelf it went, next to my original Arai Freddie Spencer Supervent.

signal-2024-03-07-05-27-41-840.thumb.jpg.c0dcd56f09778a96f47ac7a4578092d1.jpg

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Dainese own AGV. I have an old Dainese helmet, which was made for them by AGV. AFAIK they only sold Dainese branded helmets for a couple of years. I used to use AGV as they had a ML size that fitted my head well. They stopped doing ML but Dainese still did them 👍

Looking at the latest AGV size chart the current Large is 58-59cm which is the old ML size ! 

They recently bought TCX too.

• Member Contributer

Another run to Cycle Gear and tried on a couple Shoei's... same size, dammit they fit better.

Lesson.... the supermodel is not always the one you want to live with! :rolleyes:

• Like 1