Aluminium subframes for 5th gen - any interest?

Stray

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Wald said:

Drink less beer and eat less pizza for few weeks. The total weight (rider and bike) saving will be the same.

But I need niche & expensive shiny "performance parts" for my niche motorcycle that gets no more than a "hmmph. It's a vfr. Neat." at a bike meet so I can freight-train myself into a monologue with an unwilling subject of all the things I did to my niche bike because I'm a special boy.    /s

Who doesn't like trick bike bits though? I'm very much a Neanderthal. I like shiny things, especially if they are performant.

...also someone keeps emptying out my beer fridge... I gotta get to the bottom of that mystery... right after I get to the bottom of this bottle...

6 hours ago, VFR750F3 said:

produce a lightweight VFR with 170HP

Have I the bike for you, fellow enthusiast!

They call it the "VFR 1200" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_VFR1200F 

... though, if you thought the 5th gen needed a diet... well I have some news for ya on that 1200...

• Member Contributer
On 2/7/2023 at 11:09 PM, Stray said:

Dangeruss, I’m very interested to see the RC51 tail on your VFR. That RC51 is the best looking sports bike Honda have ever produced, in my opinion! 

What material are you making the subframe out of? 

I used a stock RC51 SP1 subframe, which I modified to bolt on to the VFR frame in the right place by extending/relocating the front legs. I would have preferred the SP2 subframe as it's prettier and all bodywork mounting points are the same. At the time I was looking it would have cost as much as I paid for the SP1 subframe plus bodywork, which is all new parts from Honda. You'll only see a couple of inches of the lower legs when it's on the bike anyway, the rest is covered.

When you own a lightweight bike that does not weigh 600lbs like the VFR1200 which I am aware of or a 500lb like the VFR800 it is much more enjoyable on the backroads the track and or even moving it around the garage.  I should know I own a CBR1000RR-R  and several other Hondas.  The VFR is a great bike but it never progressed like other models.  Sure they gave us the RC30 and 45 which I almost owned but dollar for dollar the RC51 outshined both which I own.  Give us V4 from the factory 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFR750F3 said:

even moving it around the garage

This is the most tangible benefit 😆 My Buell 1125r is a dainty princess compared to my 00' viffer

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFR750F3 said:

even moving it around the garage.

One time I was moving VFR around to make room to bring another bike in. It leaned away from me and got away! I hung on trying to bring it back up... nope.. it was going over! Pulled me down with it,  flipped me over and tossed me about 15-ft across garage!!! 🤣

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, VFR750F3 said:

That is why I sit on the bike and Flintstone it

Yabba-Dabba-Doo!!

I love how this thread got hijacked lmao.

If anyone is interested in making a 6th gen lighter, I offer a race-weight aluminum subframe that converts to solo seating with a RS125 race tail. It can be used to adapt other bodywork as well. Total savings is 20-40lb, depending on final configuration. 

• Member Contributer
On 2/11/2023 at 3:14 PM, SEBSPEED said:

If anyone is interested in making a 6th gen lighter, I offer a race-weight aluminum subframe that converts to solo seating with a RS125 race tail. It can be used to adapt other bodywork as well. Total savings is 20-40lb, depending on final configuration. 

Sounds awesome - need pics please! 

Data point, a 2002 R6 tail unit complete - aluminium subframe, undertray, bodywork, wiring, both seats - weighs less than just the 4th Gen bare metal subframe (which would be fairly comparable to the 5th Gen subframe).

• Member Contributer
On 2/11/2023 at 7:14 AM, SEBSPEED said:

Need pics.

• Member Contributer

Wow - it’s a completely different bike with that tail on. Looks great! 

In fact it even LOOKS lighter! 

Will it work with the twin pipes as standard or does that need modifying? 

36 minutes ago, Stray said:

No provisions for exhaust mounting included. However, there is plenty of real estate to add your own custom bracket. 

It does have a provision for mounting an Antigravity 8 cell battery, and bolts on the frame just like the oem subframe, using the same hardware. Lights, wiring, battery connections, rear brake reservoir mounting, exhaust provisions and seat pad, etc, are all optional and end user dependent. 

Seat height is the same as oem, until you add a pad. 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

large.Screenshot_20211219-203049_Instagr

More pics on my facebook page if you follow the link in my sig

I have seen Rylee's bike 1st-hand. Seb's work is 1st-class!!! 🙂

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

No provisions for exhaust mounting included. However, there is plenty of real estate to add your own custom bracket. 

It does have a provision for mounting an Antigravity 8 cell battery, and bolts on the frame just like the oem subframe, using the same hardware. Lights, wiring, battery connections, rear brake reservoir mounting, exhaust provisions and seat pad, etc, are all optional and end user dependent. 

Seat height is the same as oem, until you add a pad. 

Hmmm.....I would be interested in losing some weight from my 6th gen (from myself as well but that's a different topic).

Its a street bike so would have to find a solution for brakelight/plate/directionals and a bracket for the exhausts. I wonder if Corbin or Sargent have a race size pad in their higher density foam? Also possible deal breaker - past 1-2 seasons I've been riding with a tail box, it is so useful, would hate to give it up.  All that being said a 10lb weight saving would be worthwhile

Any thoughts Seb?

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Stray said:

Can have any exhaust you want. Either weld up or bolt on some brackets. Here's bike on AMP track. Can get photos from other side this weekend if needed.

uc?export=download&id=1zV_eTuW2QSeZPc91R

2 hours ago, jim v said:

Hmmm.....I would be interested in losing some weight from my 6th gen (from myself as well but that's a different topic).

Its a street bike so would have to find a solution for brakelight/plate/directionals and a bracket for the exhausts. I wonder if Corbin or Sargent have a race size pad in their higher density foam? Also possible deal breaker - past 1-2 seasons I've been riding with a tail box, it is so useful, would hate to give it up.  All that being said a 10lb weight saving would be worthwhile

Any thoughts Seb?

5th/6th/8th gen headers all share exit locations, so you can use any low/mid/high mount meant for a 5th or 8th gen on your 6th gen with this conversion. 6th might look funny, I haven't tried to make that work. 

Most of the sources offering the race tails will also have seat pads available. They won't be as comfortable as a stock seat, so keep that in mind. 

There are plenty of options for lights and wiring, just pick what you like and add them. If they're small and light enough, they can be attached directly to the fiberglass race tail. 

You'll lose a lot more than 10lb with swap. 

Archived