Lost rear sprocket whle riding.

VFR4Lee

On 10/1/2016 at 6:56 AM, Veefer800Canuck said:

I have the rear Cush drive assembly in my garage if you need it. Great condition.

Its yours for free, just pay shipping. 

Appreciate the offer. But am waiting on an almost one stop shopping shipment from ZZ.

Including a low km sprocket and chain set.

I think all I need apart from that is a gasket and rivet link for the chain.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

What size is the axle nut?

Need to make sure I have the right socket. :beer:

You need one that is 46mm.  No direct equivalent in inches.  You can buy it from Honda or maybe order it online.  I chose to remove the swingarm and take it to the dealer to have it removed.  Of course that involved removing the swing arm completely.  LOL.  You could probably use a really big cresent wrench to put it on and tighten and stake the nut so it can't back off it and then ride it to a Honda dealer to torque it down for you.  Ride it slowly I might add.

2 minutes ago, zoomzoom said:

You need one that is 46mm.  No direct equivalent in inches.

Thanks. I won't try to mix inch tools with metric parts.

Been there, done that, replaced the fasteners. :wacko:

Harbor Fright, here I come. 46mm socket, circlips pliers $4, more blue rubber gloves, coupon for free goodies. :happy:

I'll be glad to get it on the road again too.

• Member Contributer

I had a need for a 46mm socket and HF did not have a 46mm available nor did Sears. I called a few places but no go. I ended up picking up a double sided socket that had a 46mm on one side and a 41mm on the other, from Amazon. It was for a Ducati Street Fighter. Save yourself some trouble of driving/calling all over for the 46mm socket and grab one off of Amazon. Unless you have a really good tool supplier near by.

Here's a link to one I found on Amazon. It's a 1/2 drive though.

6 Point 46mm impact socket.

11 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

I had a need for a 46mm socket and HF did not have a 46mm available nor did Sears. I called a few places but no go. I ended up picking up a double sided socket that had a 46mm on one side and a 41mm on the other, from Amazon. It was for a Ducati Street Fighter. Save yourself some trouble of driving/calling all over for the 46mm socket and grab one off of Amazon. Unless you have a really good tool supplier near by.

Here's a link to one I found on Amazon. It's a 1/2 drive though.

6 Point 46mm impact socket.

Thanks for the info. $38.44 at your link with free shipping if I spend > $49.

For a tool I will likely use once. Wow. :blink:

Is yours available for short term rent?  :wub:

• Member Contributer

The tech I talked with at the local Honda dealer who took the nut off for me said I could borrow his anytime I needed it.  Mind you, I've fixed a few dents for him over the years so he knows where I work.  LOL

• Member Contributer

Home Depot has one for $13 (shipping free to a store).  It is though 3/4" drive, so an 3/4" to 1/2" adapter would likely be necessary (unless you have a 3/4" drive torque wrench) which ups the total to about $24.    Harbor Freight has an adapter set for $5 - so all in less than a $20 bill if you went that route. 

http://www.homedepot.com/s/46mm%20socket?NCNI-5

Adapter

http://www.homedepot.com/p/URREA-1-2-in-Adapter-Drive-Female-X-3-4-in-Male-7652/202797169?MERCH=RV-_-OD_SearchPLP_rr-_-204505183-_-202797169-_-N

• Member Contributer

Another route is auto parts stores also rent tools. Are you planning on doing the fix this weekend? If so I won't be around to loan you the tool. I will be around next week though and Capt Bob is only about 5-6 miles from me. It would be easy to hand off to him.

• Member Contributer

This is the nicest 46mm 1/2" socket, but EMS shipping makes it the dearest, too!

Ciao,

Are you planning on doing the fix this weekend? If so I won't be around to loan you the tool. I will be around next week though and Capt Bob is only about 5-6 miles from me. It would be easy to hand off to him.

USPS says it is accepted at Vancouver, BC, Canada. So not this weekend. Once these parts come I'll order gasket, chain link, and whatever else.

Anyway it will be at least a couple weeks or so.

• Member Contributer

I am off to SLO tomorrow morning but I can swing by and get the socket any evening and get it. Or if you have business up by Rossmoor I can send you my address. The planter by my garage door is a good stash place. 

Or if we happen to be on the same ride next weekend we can do it that way. 

Maybe Little T or ACH that sunday. Its in Lee's vicinity.

Little TJ was still closed last Sunday. I will probably try it again this Sunday.

I don't now what is the holdup.

• Member Contributer
On 10/6/2016 at 5:12 PM, VFR4Lee said:

USPS says it is accepted at Vancouver, BC, Canada. So not this weekend. Once these parts come I'll order gasket, chain link, and whatever else.

Anyway it will be at least a couple weeks or so.

Last set of parts I sent out went to a guy in Florida and they took 6 days total.  Shipped them on Tuesday morning and they were delivered on the following Monday morning.  They were sent expedited post which is supposed to be 4-7 business days.  My guess would be they should be there by Tuesday this week.

Arrived this morning while I was cleaning some of the grime off. Thanks Zoom Zoom Bil. :beer:

Have not been able to get the chain off. Tried grinding rivets, tried drilling them, no go at least so far.

Maybe one of those times you need the right tool.

An I correct in thinking the nut is unstaked here?

Looks like I just need a gasket and rivet link for the chain, as far as parts go.

101_3579.JPG

Thanks. Wanted to make sure I knew what I was looking at. :smile:

Looking over Partzilla I for sure need the first 2 and maybe the third one.

4 GASKET, CHANGE COVER

11632-MW4-010 $13.03

10 GASKET, SLAVE CYLINDER

22862-MGJ-D00 $3.53

25 O-RING (32.95X2.62) (ARAI)

91302-MB0-013  $1.87

The needle bearing and oil seal, 22 and 23, on the inner cover appear to be OK in the new cover and the old one too.

Darned if I see a rivet link for chain EK530 SROZ. :unsure:

This?

5eb998ed2f2d34310ec31e577abe22cd.jpg

Connecting Link for 530 SR Heavy Duty Chain

Price:
$2.09
List Price $2.99
You Save $0.90 (30%)
Quantity:

Price is for one part. We sell all parts individually.
ship-tick.png  Ships in 1 - 2 business days

Part Number Variations

570976  - Tucker Rocky
205-530SR-SPJ - Manufacturer

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

Arrived this morning while I was cleaning some of the grime off. Thanks Zoom Zoom Bil. :beer:

Have not been able to get the chain off. Tried grinding rivets, tried drilling them, no go at least so far.

Maybe one of those times you need the right tool.

Medium to large bolt cutters can take care of parting the old chain. 

Is this possibly the link you need? 

https://www.amazon.com/EK-Chain-Rivet-Connecting-Link/dp/B003CJE6FQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1475965348&sr=8-8&keywords=ek+chain+link

No idea if that one is right. I did not know there were so many different ones. :mellow:

I don't have a bolt cutter. I do have a Sawzall. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Once you grind the rivets off one link, you would need a chain press tool to press them out. Then you would have the proper tool to not use a clip link to re-install.

Of course the magic of the Single Side Swing Arm means you can remove and install an endless chain. Meaning you could take it to a shop and have them properly stake a master link and not use a clip style link. You would need the appropriate size sockets for the swing arm pivot bolt (which I don't know off hand). Then you loosen the left side footpeg holder (once the nut is off the right side) enough to slip the chain out, and new one on. Don't have to remove the pivot bolt completely. 

Archived