Lost rear sprocket whle riding.

VFR4Lee

I believe VFRCapnBob has a chain tool.

Sounds like the easier way to do the job, than messing with the swing arm. :mellow:

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Arrived this morning while I was cleaning some of the grime off. Thanks Zoom Zoom Bil. :beer:

Have not been able to get the chain off. Tried grinding rivets, tried drilling them, no go at least so far.

Maybe one of those times you need the right tool.

An I correct in thinking the nut is unstaked here?

Looks like I just need a gasket and rivet link for the chain, as far as parts go.

101_3579.JPG

Hey Lee

I have re-inserted the axle through the cush drive assembly so that nut has only been tightened on by hand but you'll have to remove the axle anyhow to install your brake rotor.  Just back the nut off by hand.  If it's too tight to remove by hand, you could use a pair of large channel lock pliers.  Once you get everything re-installed then you can tighten and torque the 46mm nut and then stake it properly.

• Member Contributer

When you go to remove the master link, I've had good success with grinding the end of the rivets off with a Dremel tool and a cutting disc.  Since you are going to have to replace the master link, the new one will come with the outside chain plates so not to worry if you scratch them while grinding down the end of the rivets.

• Member Contributer

Hacksaw also works. 

IIRC, the 5th gen is the only VFR you can remove the chain without cutting it, due to the way the swing arm and footpeg hanger mount.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, I wish this was the case.  The chain routes through the gap between the upper and lower mounting bolts on the drivers side foot peg mount.  The lower foot rest bolt just goes in to the side of the engine case but, the main mount is the swing-arm pivot bolt.  Having just removed the swing arm on my parts bike, I don't see how the chain can be removed in one piece without removing the swing arm pivot bolt.

• Member Contributer

If I had to use a Dremel to break the chain and did not have a press, I would probably use the cutoff wheel to slice both sideplates on a link.  It would take a while but probably not much more than cutting off the rivet heads.  I'd probably also use a piece of cardboard to place between the chain and the bike so sparks would not be hitting finish surfaces.   Unless DIY riveting is planned, a clip link could be used to get the bike to a shop where they could then remove and replace it with a rivet style link.   Even with that added expense, given the score on the used parts, all things considered a fairly inexpensive repair.  

• Member Contributer

To fit an endless chain, just reverse the swingarm bolt !  Many chain tools get busted or people claim they don't work beacuse they try to break a factory rivet link, rather than the master link they are designed to work with !

• Member Contributer

I've done it with the chain intact. Just take off the nut from the right side and pull the left side away from the engine a couple inches. 

Your choices are a couple rarely used sockets or a chain tool if you don't want to use a clip link. I prefer not to use a clip link so I eventually bought a proper chain tool. 

I agree with Cogswell. That's a good plan to use the clip link to ride to a shop for a proper rivet link.  

Sorry Lee, no idea. I'd guess that since it's the same manufacturer and chain size that it's the right one. 

• Member Contributer

Hey Lee.

I like Kev's idea.  Since you already have the shifter cover off (or did anyhow, but not sure how far you've progressed on the re-assembly process) you may be able to slip the chain under the lower foot peg mounting point.  Just undo the small (5mm Hex key I think) bolt in the lower part of the footrest bracket and leave the footrest (under the black cap) bolt attached, and back off the nut on the right side of the swing arm.  Gently tap the bolt from the right and the whole footrest bracket will likely move out from the frame enough to slip the chain, height wise, behind the foot rest bracket arm.

18 minutes ago, zoomzoom said:

not sure how far you've progressed on the re-assembly process)

I am about at the Yes I Cannabis stage. :goofy:

So, waiting on 2 gaskets and a rivet link. :sleep:

Gives me time to do some more cleaning prior to beginning repairs.

• Member Contributer

Мда проблема( удачи в ремонте ребята . Но все что не происходит все к лучшему , как говорят евреи "Спасибо Господи что взял деньгами"

17 hours ago, zoomzoom said:

Ya mean I didn't clean the parts well enough before packing them

in the box.  Personally, I thought they were pretty clean.  LOL. 

Those things were almost clean enough to eat off. :happy:

Say what, TIG? No comprende.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

Those things were almost clean enough to eat off. :happy:

Say what, TIG? No comprende.

"Мда проблема( удачи в ремонте ребята . Но все что не происходит все к лучшему , как говорят евреи "Спасибо Господи что взял деньгами"  = My hovercraft is full of eels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YYM209GJoE

6 minutes ago, Terry said:

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Remembered that phrase right off, but haven't seen that bit in years. Grazi. :laughing6-hehe:

10 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Now that I'm back, did you still need the 46mm socket Lee?

Yes, por favor.

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

Yes, por favor.

I'll get with Capt. Bob then.

Parking lot sale weekend at Harbor Fright.

$3 for the snap ring pliers vs $4.

They should include a warning. When you take it out of the package the handles move apart with spring pressure. The business end wants to pinch your finger. Ow! :wink:

Archived